It looks like Madison is bringing the cymbal line back.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True statements. If there was any one group you did not want on your bad side when I was in the Scouts, it was the cymbal line. They could make your life miserable if necessary. Show up late to practice, and they were the ones you hated hearing from... miss a step off, and they were happy to point that out to the world. But that, of course, transleted to them needing to be absolutely on their game all the time, so you never saw leg lift/knees up in practice sluffed on, or them wasting any time on visual effects that were over done or something they saw someone else doing. They were unique, and proud of it. Rowdy, yes. And spoken to probably more than once by Stewart. But absolutely dedicated to the instrument itself, and they worked hard to provide the sounds the instructors and the music writer wanted.

In the photo of the '82 Scouts there, only Jim Lattimer on the right, who went on to be one of drum corps finest timpani soloists and players, left the line to another instrument. Mark "Moose" Musolf, with the shaggy blond hair in the center there, was tragically killed in a car accident on his way to practice in 1983. You can get an idea of how many years he spent in the cymbal line by counting the patches on his jacket sleeves. Terry "Spif" Splide is one of many Splide brothers in the Scouts, and participated in the alumni project in '06 with his real life blood brothers. He hadn't changed much, other than having turned out to be a great dad himself. Still a wild man, though, and was probably the absloute very last person who came on board the project... very likely the day of our first rehearsal. But once in, he was the driving force of the guys in the line... again. Yeah, he was smoking there in that pic from '82, but, uhhhh... whattaya gonna do, huh? It was 1982.

Good eye, Vince. The folks in the Crossmen from '81 and '82 should recognize that field as well, since we shared that practice stadium with them both years.

Thanks for the info. Moose was the only name of these 5 guys that I could remember. I have CRS !

Bill

MYNWA

I got to meet Terry in the Alumni project last summer and he was

indeed a wild man like you said. He and the other Yeehaw Summbiches

were definately the on field entertainment of the summer.

And If you watch the DVD, Spiff has a couple hilarious close-ups

right after the drum solo...he seemed to know exactly where the cameras were.

I'm bummed he wasn't at our 2nd annual MSARP banquet this weekend though. :(

Didn't see you there either Geno. What's up with that?

Terry "Spif" Splide is one of many Splide brothers in the Scouts, and participated in the alumni project in '06 with his real life blood brothers. He hadn't changed much, other than having turned out to be a great dad himself. Still a wild man, though, and was probably the absloute very last person who came on board the project... very likely the day of our first rehearsal. But once in, he was the driving force of the guys in the line... again. Yeah, he was smoking there in that pic from '82, but, uhhhh... whattaya gonna do, huh? It was 1982.

I got to meet Terry in the Alumni project last summer and he was

indeed a wild man like you said. He and the other Yeehaw Summbiches

were definately the on field entertainment of the summer.

And If you watch the DVD, Spiff has a couple hilarious close-ups

right after the drum solo...he seemed to know exactly where the cameras were.

I'm bummed he wasn't at our 2nd annual MSARP banquet this weekend though. :(

Didn't see you there either Geno. What's up with that?

Yeah, where were you Geno????

REALLY? Which years cymbal line are they bringing back? 1982? 'Cuz that would be these goofballs:

Madisoncymline82.jpg

OHHHHHH... you mean bring back A cymbal line... when so many have done away with them. OK. I get it. :P

THAT'S AWESOME!! Yay for Madison!! :lookaround: ^OO^

I love these guys!!!!

I say the more the merrier!!!!

You all know how I feel about cymbal lines!!!! ^0^

IMO, perhaps the reason they are doing this is because of the tremendous response and success the Vanguard had with their amazing cymbal line last summer? Just my opinion, mind you.

Upping the size limit to 150 might also free them up to do this.

IMO, perhaps the reason they are doing this is because of the tremendous response and success the Vanguard had with their amazing cymbal line last summer? Just my opinion, mind you.

I'm pretty sure it is because of the new 150 member limit coupled with the fact that they have a new staff.

Could also be that it's something that people wanted, considering there was a cymbal line until 2004? Or was it 2003? But they only had a few years without one, and I think there were many who were sad to see it go, and many who are glad to see it back. Just a thought.