A rich kid's sport

What about current finances of the potential marcher? Had a room mate in college who joined the Army right out of High School. He would have loved to march with a corps, and Crossmen were right next door, but family had bunch of mouths to feed. So withing a week of getting his diploma he was getting his head shaved and an olive drab outfit. End result was one less mouth at the family table and he pretty much had college paid for when his hitch was up.

It all comes down to personal priorites and to say anyone is wrong because they don't have the same priorities is narrow minded at best. In my friends case his top priority was his family and anything that added to their financial load was NOT worth it in any way, shape or form....

Yeah, but looking at your sig...when did you go to college? I'm guessing your college room mate is middle age now, like many of us :) My point is that the situation you described isn't one that has come about because of rising tour costs.

Peace,

CuriousMe

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of just shooting down everything that I have said, why not give an example?

i'm a prime example dude. i'm not going to explain my whole situation for you. but it does exist. not everyone has that kind of money. and many, including myself worked through summers because it was the only option.

And I'm not assuming that everyone has $4000. I know life isn't like Monopoly.

I am merely saying that, if you are REALLY devoted to marching the summer, finances will just be a really hard obstacle to overcome, and it is doable.

actually comments like this would make someone think otherwise

If you aren't willing to spend $4000-$5000 for the summer, then you think it's a waste of money.

The cost of working can be directly connected to rising tuition costs? Yeah, sorry....I'm not sure about that. I'm currently a full time student (I did go the first time around but there were other, non drumcorps, things going on in my life that took my time and attention) and my tuition costs are such that if I made enough money in the summer to make any kind of dent during the school year, it would disqualify me from need based aid.

There might be cases where a lack of working over the summer is the reason a member can't swing drum corps, but that was the case back in the day as well. If anything, I think tuition has swung so out of control, that working the summer isn't going to make that much of a dent.

I'm in the camp that says, in most situations....because there are always exceptions....if you want to march, you can find a way to make it work out. There are always sacrifices to be made to march in a touring competitive corps.

Peace,

CuriousMe

so if working more doesn't put much of a dent in tuition, does that mean that someone shouldn't do it? i know in your case you said you would lose your aid, that's fine. i'm saying in general, if costs are rising, why wouldn't you work more to try and offset that the best you can?

Maybe they'll say the tours that are thousands of miles are too much. Maybe local circuits will start up and local competitions will make more sense. Maybe this would make it affordable for more kids to participate.

Nah, that's silly, I know. That would make it too much like drum and bugle corps :blink:

I've hear this perspective before and I'd really hear more details in how exactly this would work? I mean give me the full economics so I understand how this will be financially better for drum corps...this scenario of more local shows and less travel.

I mean as late as the 1990s, Midwest corps had as many as 40-45 shows in a 8-9 week period. I know, I was there. Streator, Woodstock, etc. A corps might be lucky to get two practice days a week with 5 show days....that's the kind of stuff you are talking about, right?

Here's the issue I have with that...corps were still folding in the 90s...corps were still having financial difficulty and DCI was not fiscally healthy either.

So again, describe the scenario where tons of local shows with smaller take home amounts for the corps because they have smaller crowds and lower ticket prices...convince me....show me the model in how this is going to work.

Make it make sense to me and I will....100% stand down. Honest. I will.

But, it's a lot harder than a couple of one liners about how things were perfect in the 1970s.

Yeah, but looking at your sig...when did you go to college? I'm guessing your college room mate is middle age now, like many of us :) My point is that the situation you described isn't one that has come about because of rising tour costs.

Peace,

CuriousMe

Graduated Dec '79 and I'll take being called middle aged at age 50... :P (And my roomie is 20 days older)

Yeah, my post got off the subject of current tour costs. I was responding to the idea that if you don't put your life on hold to do DC then there's something wrong with you. Have seen it in other threads and the closed mindedness (is that a word?) gets under my skin.