What is the purpose these days?

Where do people on this board get this idea? Do you know how many music majors are marching in each drum corps?? Let me tell you it's not a lot. The only music majors that are actually in drum corps are just what I call "marching band people". No where close guys. Drum corps nowadays DOES have an educational aspect to it, but not really. All in all, it's still just about that drum corps experience. People forget that.

Do you know how many music are marching in drum corps? I would say the majority of the people in the hornline during the years I marched are/were music majors. Not only that, many of them were so inspired by the teaching methods of the brass staff that they either transferred to finish their undergraduate education, or to begin their graduate education, at the university where the brass caption head teaches. There are guys from Pennsylvania, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, and other states that currently slip my mind, attending the University of Houston because of the education they were provided during their drum corps experience.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ug is the only thought that came to mind.

likewise.

music majors or not, Saying that they aren't serving a purpose is something of a slap in the face, isn't it?

~>conner

Playing the education card is a last ditch attempt to grasp for relevancy after making changes (and discussing more) that have turned off increasing numbers of the old guard. Problem is, as others have pointed out, serious music programs generally don't appear to appreciate DCI's style of "education." So they back themselves into a corner and now believe that drum corps has to be re-invented as marching band in order to fulfill this new "education" mission they've accepted.

At the end of the day, I fear they will create something that will only be relevant to those involved and their immediate families. That they will destroy what is left in the activity that many born before 1985 still strive to enjoy and support.

This is the best, most sensible post I've read on here in months.

Thank you!

So, it's an elite organization for music majors to entertain each other? God Bless, and have fun with that.

I'll disagree with that. DCI has kids who major in all kinds of subjects - not just music. Sure they have music majors, but they also have kids who major in math, english, computer science, businuss, sales, marketing, medicine, etc. They also have high school kids who haven't even gotten to college yet.

drum corps is an educational learning experience not only in the music/performing aspect but in life lessons, organization, time management, dependability etc.... From what I've heard people also have fun doing it :P...but yeah anyways it is an activity more for the performers and former marching members as well as people who have an interest in drum corps that didn't/won't march....just my thoughts...this may have been said already, but i didnt have time to read all the sracastic remarks and whatnot....peace.

hoping for a great season next summer!

Looking at several threads, and drawing some conclusions.

1. Drum Corps isn't about entertaining the masses, if it was then DCI would have found a way to keep the broadcast.

Drum corps was never that..as it was never an activity with 'mass' appeal. It has always been a niche activity.

2. Drum Corps isn't about giving as many youth as possible a chance to participate in a positive team-building, if it was there would be many more corps, and participation costs would be far less.

So what is the misson these days? All I can come up with is "give music and other performannce-oriented youth a chance to perform in a large, national-youring group for a few months" so they can pad their resume.

Any thoughts?

The operative phrase is 'as possible'..the numbers today are what as 'possible' to exist in 2007.

Playing the education card is a last ditch attempt to grasp for relevancy after making changes (and discussing more) that have turned off increasing numbers of the old guard.

There have been 'old guard' corps folks who stopped enjoying drum corps in EVERY era. Luckily many are able to appreciate the changes and enjoy the activity still...shows have a nice mix of old and new.

There have been 'old guard' corps folks who stopped enjoying drum corps in EVERY era. Luckily many are able to appreciate the changes and enjoy the activity still...shows have a nice mix of old and new.

So, were they trying to sell drum corps as some type of elite music education in your era?