Cutting the cost of Drum Corps

baja

If you "dumb down" the product (to use your term)...there is LESS reason for potential members to audition. This would, IMO< hasten the demise of junior corps.

I sort of knew someone would jump on that term. :rolleyes: I should have said lessen the quality of the product somewhat. Or maybe not, the ingenuity and creativity of people with limited time, money and material will many times bring out the best in them. Anyway some potential members may be less inclined to audition, but not enough to result in the demise of the activity, COST is what will result in the demise of the activity.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a dirty secret. It's a choice. You can stick to the better sound, without mic'ing keyboards, or you can play them with better touch with amps, and you get a more narrow sound. Unfortunately, the technique has not changed generally. But for cost... yes, it will probably be nearly a wash with keyboards. If only that's what we were debating when it came to amps.... :rolleyes:

But then it isn't about the cost of the amps, it is about what they are used for, which is a perfectly fine argument that has been repeated countless times.

The secret is I'm not a huge fan of amplified voice either, but there are few things I hate more than someone trying to pretend that the reason they don't want amplification is because of the cost and not the way it is used.

Restrictions already exist in drum corps: limited to 150 members, age restrictions, and show time limits. DCI also has the ability to restrict certain organizations from shows if they don't meet their financial requirements. I don't believe that restrictions will make everyone equal, but I do believe that downsizing drum corps and yes maybe dumbing down the product (i.e less rehearsal, fewer instructors and recycled material) might help level out the playing field and allow more organizations the chance to field a corps and or compete on the same playing field. It may even spur growth. If an organization only needs $500,000 a year to field a corps instead of $1 million a year, then there may be the opportunity to continue as opposed to folding (Capitol Regiment, Southwind, etc.) of even make new start ups less financially challenging.

And you'll have fewer people in the stands because if they wanted to watch dumbed down drum corps shows they would wait until the fall when 13 high schools try to do the same show.

DCI needs to work on getting corporate sponsorship for the organization and help to underwrite costs for all corps

One way to do this would be to subsidize travel expenses (fuel, meals, housing)...fuel could be subsidized on a per mile basis or per-member-mile, meals could be subsidized on a per member basis.

One more thing DCI could do is have all performing members actually be a member of "DCI". As far as I know DCI has absolutely no info on marching members...only the individual corps have info on their members. If all marching members were a member of a DCI organization it would give DCI some marketing power and a simple way to disseminate info to members and keep track of alumni (ie, donations, sponsorship, support). I am a member of the USCF and the NRA and I can definitely see how those organizations use their membership as a marketing tool.

I believe that currently DCI is simply a club for staff and directors..that could continue...but I think now would be the time to start including the marching members (and even support staff in some form) as part of the organization.

7. Limit move in time to a maiximun of 15 days

My guess is that many of these things will happen natually over the next ten years as the cost of drum corps continues to escalate.

hahaha....my corps is moving in for more than twice that amount of time this season. through the years ive marched there, the amount of time in move-in has only gone up, so i dont know what youre referencing.

guess you and our staff would have differing opinions on standards of excellence in the activity.

I tend to agree with the dumbing down the product – I think DCI missed the boat by selling it as elite band as opposed to a youth community activity (along the lines of youth soccer). With the high performance level of most corps, it’s rather intimidating and prohibits those with casual interest, experience and talent form testing the waters with a local, weekend corps and getting hooked for life. You build the pyramid from the bottom up, not the trickle down. And now the disparity between the DIV 1 corps and the non-touring jr corps is so great – many kids don’t see the point of the little corps and take a pass completely. I think the best selling point is to march and that should be as easy for as many as possible and it’s simply not.

DCI really did miss the boat –they activity shrank at the time it should have grown the most – they missed out on the baby boomlette and their parents that were committed to keeping their kids in activities and more disposable income than ever before – which is why I don’t really buy ‘its just the times’ argument - more so when I see the numbers in band

Yeah, it'll save tons of money when they have could have gotten the same amount of sound out of fewer mallet instruments. Instead of paying $2000 for some amps and mics they'll be paying $5000 for an extra marimba.

The dirty little secret about amps is that they can actually SAVE money for a young corps.

Havent seen this yet. Pits are bigger than ever......

If a Corps is capable of raising the money, WHY? would you put a restraint on them?

It is obvious that many corps have no idea how to successfully maintain financial stability. At some point DCI needs to make some meaningful "adjustments". Oherwise, more corps will be lost.

I actually overheard someone who was involved with a pretty significant Div II corps say......"I took out a second mortgage so that we could get two new contra's" :tounge2::tongue:

1. Reduce the maximum size of the corps to 100

2. Reduce the tour travel distance (maximum of 10,000 miles)

3. Put a salary cap on all directors and instructional staff. (no more than 20-25% of any corps budget)

4. Reuse previous show material (musical scores, flags, props, etc.)

5. Shorten the season to five consecutive weeks

6. Limit corps camps to a maximum of 5

7. Limit move in time to a maiximun of 15 days

My guess is that many of these things will happen natually over the next ten years as the cost of drum corps continues to escalate.

Some of these ideas can probably be instituted.

My suggestion. Review the realationship with DCI sponsors. You know.....everyone would like to play with the "Big Boys". Small companies are trying to match mid-size companies and mid-size companies are trying to match large companies. Problem is......many companies try to play a game that is over their head.....and they end up going out of business.

What do the DCI sponsors (At every level, Leadership...etc) receive?

Is it to much ?

I would bet that DCI is spending a bit to much money trying to please (Wine and dine) the sponsors. Sponsors are CRITICAL...don't get me wrong. But I think sponsors should consider things differently when working with a non for profit organization. Maybe they do.....but I must tell you I am not getting that vibe. Shouldn't a non for profit organization constantly look at ways to save money around every corner? I don't think the DCI headquarter hotels (At the major events) need to be 4.5 - 5 star resorts. If I were running a non for profit.....I would use Motel Six where possible. Ok....may that last example is a tad extreme....but I think you get my point.....I hope.