Cutting the cost of Drum Corps

baja

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When restrictions make everyone equal, no one will be equal.

But I have a real fear that we are rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Costs are up. Reveues are not up as much if at all (remember, they cut the broadcast to save $. How many of us got hooked on the activity by watching th PBS broadacst in the 70's, 80's and 90's?).

We have met the enemy and he is us.

As a former Phantom Regiment member (Tsar Nick) used to say in his posts - the world will not end with a bang but with a whimper.

BTW, you guys are way underestimating amp prices.

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?id=662

It is not the pit and amps procurment cost that is the killer - it is the logistical tail that comes with it - more trucks, more fuel, more to feed, more tractors to pull the equipment, etc

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

George said that corps would have the option to use smaller pits, he never said that The Cadets would do so. He can't control what other directors do with their money.

MOST of the large corps are in fairly decent financial shape, so they don't have a need to use smaller pits to save money.

Oh really? So you know the financial condition of MOST of the large corps? All one needs to do is take a look at Guidestar to see the financial of MOST corps to see that this statement is patently false.

The argument that a smaller pit could be used as a result of amplification is a morass. It has never come to fruition, and never will. Because of the rules and they way the judges apply/enforce these rules, corps are “incented” to “play the game”, which means, amplify, don’t reduce the size of the pit, or fall behind in competitive standings. Passing the amplification rule, and any consideration of electronics at the present time, is simply fiscally irresponsible.

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM

I meant sharing of the corps' revenues, not DCI's, ala major league baseball.

No, I disagree with that 100%. Baseball teams are professional teams with millions in broadcasting revenues in addition to ticket sales. Even the top corps are not rolling in $$$$. Costs vary in different geographic areas; it costs more in the Northeast or California to operate than it does in a more rural area as one example.

Passing the amplification rule, and any consideration of electronics at the present time, is simply fiscally irresponsible.

No, corps operating outside of their means is fiscally irresponsible, not the rule providing the option of using those items.

Even the top corps are not rolling in $$$$.

....which make one wonder how you can be so quick to defend rule changes that further inflate the already-strained budgets of those corps....budgets so strained that DCI's TV presence has been cancelled in response, after a 33-year run.

....which make one wonder how you can be so quick to defend rule changes that further inflate the already-strained budgets of those corps....budgets so strained that DCI's TV presence has been cancelled in response, after a 33-year run.

If a corps wants to use "something" and has the resources to fo so, fine by me. If they would like to use "something" and do not have the resources...don't use whatever-it-is. I taught two GSC corps in 1976...one had 4 timps and no mallets, the other 3 timps and both xylo and bells. We used what we had and could afford.

If a corps wants to use "something" and has the resources to fo so, fine by me. If they would like to use "something" and do not have the resources...don't use whatever-it-is. I taught two GSC corps in 1976...one had 4 timps and no mallets, the other 3 timps and both xylo and bells. We used what we had and could afford.

But the way the system is set up...you HAVE to use that "something" to stay competitive...otherwise you fall behind. Ask the top 8 corps to go spend next season using G-bugles, no amps and 128 people and see the response you get....or see the response they'll get from the judges.