From Colts.org

DCI has indeed included the tragedy in their news segment. In a response I finally received from DCI this morning, they were asked to postpone the news until now. Apparently, they were the one source of news within the community that the Colts/families did not want to post their updates on these two young women. I was mistaken in my assumption that DCI was not being responsive.

Please continue to send notes of encouragment for these young women and their families. When they are finally at home and settling in, the outpouring of love and support will be another step taken towards their recovering from this horrible loss.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI has indeed included the tragedy in their news segment. In a response I finally received from DCI this morning, they were asked to postpone the news until now. Apparently, they were the one source of news within the community that the Colts/families did not want to post their updates on these two young women. I was mistaken in my assumption that DCI was not being responsive.

Please continue to send notes of encouragment for these young women and their families. When they are finally at home and settling in, the outpouring of love and support will be another step taken towards their recovering from this horrible loss.

With potnetial lawsuits, I can understand the families wanting to keep this within the Colts family and not be too public about it. Sad situation.

With potnetial lawsuits, I can understand the families wanting to keep this within the Colts family and not be too public about it. Sad situation.

A lawsuit for what? The accident information was made public by teh local newspapers.....just wondering.

Ah....good point....still don't see how DCI posting anything would be an issue if it isn't with a regular news outlet, tho. Still, it;s the family's call.

Keep in mind, no one thinks something like that all the way through in a time of tragedy. Ultimately it was the Colts & families' decision and DCI respected their wishes. The importnt thing is that it's posted now and hopefully everyone will file this away in their mind so we don't have to experience this again anytime soon.

Edited by 2CoolVK

Keep in mind, no one thinks something like that all the way through in a time of tragedy. Ultimately it was the Colts & families' decision and DCI respected their wishes. The importnt thing is that it's posted now and hopefully everyone will file this away in their mind so we don't have to experience this again anytime soon.

Agreed on all counts

Sometimes families will ask the newspapers or authorities to postpone releasing news like this until they are sure all family/friends have been informed or have had time to let the initial shock to wear off. Considering the younger age and distance involved with informing the Colt membership sounds like a good call if that was the reason for delaying the news release.

Agree with Jocko, can't imagine what it would feel like to be a parent of these young people or the survivor of this accident for that matter. Thoughts and prayers given to both girls, their family, friends and corpsmates.

I will be collecting money at the Bushwackers next rehearsal this Sunday for those who would like to contribute.

I strongly urge others to do the same with their respective drum corps.

This is indeed a real tragedy.

I have been very impressed with how the director of the Colts has handled this situation. He has been personally involved with

the families since it happened and is a great example of "family" that is the Colts and is drum corps. His updates on their web

site have helped keep Bianca and Erin in the prayers of many.

I also went to the web site of the local TV station (that the Colts put on their web site) that linked a video of a news segment about

Bianca's passing. It mentioned that the Colts planned to discuss the accident with their members including exactly how it happened

and "driving safely". I'm sure that decision came from the director and he is right to do so.

There have been some that have stated discussing the cause of the accident was not the proper thing to do and I understand

why they may feel that way. I do, however, think that discussing it on this forum is indeed appropriate and may help a young

person "think twice" before making a bad decision.

On the TV interview the Colt's director made a comment that I think all of us can relate to. It was along the line of "we have all

done "stupid" things in our youth for which we got a second chance. For this choice, Bianca got no second chance."

I plan to to discuss this with my band kids tomorrow just to reinforce that we are not guaranteed a second chance.

My thoughts and prayers to Bianca's family and her Colt's family.

If you have never met Greg Orwoll, please make it a priority to do so at a show this summer. He is rock solid and has been there not only for the Colts, but for anyone connected with drum corps.

1998 - Dubuque, IA Phantom Legion and their rookie "Interim Director" pull into the lot and we have a bus that lost a bladder and we had extreme difficulty in maintaining air pressure for the brakes. It was unsafe and we had it sent to a shop to work on. It's a Saturday night so their prognosis is Tuesday at the earliest.

We have a corps to go to Cedar Rapids for a Sunday show and then home.

Mr. Orwoll has an extra bus between the Colts and Colt Cadets. But,,,,ready for this. He insists we take their new coach they recently purchased for the Colts for Sat/Sun and asked if we could just drive that bus back to Dubuque on Tuesday when we picked up ours.

Talk about living a parable. Tes, he went out of his way to be extremely generous to a panicked first time corps director who simply asked him to help me locate where the garage was so I could have the bus towed there.

He not only offered us a bus, but his best, and newest bus. I'll never forget that.

Greg Orwoll = class act.