Rule Proposal 2008-02

Rules 2008  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Age Requirements

• No; maintain the June 1 date
    • Yes; use the calendar year including 22, adding 5 months of eligibility

I do want to ask a question about it... my opinion won't change but I'm a little lost on the details of the rule now.

My birthday is on December 15th. I am 20 now for the 2008 season. I will then be 21 for the 2009 season. For the 2010 season I would be 22 and would turn 23 in December of 2010... from what I read that actually still excludes me from the so called "extra" year, correct?

The proposal only affects people with Jan-May birthdays. Currently someone who turns 21 in one of those months would age out. The proposal would allow them an extra year. Someone born in June-Dec already can march the year they turn 22.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my birthday is May 31st. i was born at 8:11 in the A.M.

16 hours. SIXTEEN HOURS! prevent me from marching one more season.

its infuriating at this point. but if this rule were to pass, all would be well for me.

please. dont let these 16 hours affect my life.

IT DOESN'T MATTER!

Someone is always going to miss out on "one more year" no matter what the cut off date is. Be it by 1 hour, 16 hours, 2 days, etc.

I think it should be like the original rule. You turn 22 before the end of the season, you don't march. Keep it a youth activity.

You're going to age out eventually regardless. A part of the activity is growing up and moving on.

Edited by shawn craig

It does matter.

This rule change will effect me, and I know that I'm going to use it. I'll still be in college because I'm a music major, and with the new 150 member rule, I think DCI is going to need more people to march. Many people stick with the smaller corps because it is their home corps. Eventually this rule will lead to stronger smaller corps, and stronger larger corps. There is nothing wrong with this rule, and it will probably be passed. I'm dearly sorry to everyone who marched before the 2008 season. However I don't think you should argue against this rule because I can almost guarantee that if you past generation of marchers were in this position, you would be really excited about the idea of another year possible. I feel youth isn't a certain number, but rather the way someone feels, and views themselves. If there are 22 year olds marching, DCI will still be a "youth" activity. And for the poster who previously said that DCI was for TEACHING KIDS instruments and discipline, I learned how to play my instrument in school, and I was taught discipline by my parents. Marching my years in DCI did neither. They only strengthened the foundation.

It does matter.

This rule change will effect me, and I know that I'm going to use it. I'll still be in college because I'm a music major, and with the new 150 member rule, I think DCI is going to need more people to march. Many people stick with the smaller corps because it is their home corps. Eventually this rule will lead to stronger smaller corps, and stronger larger corps. There is nothing wrong with this rule, and it will probably be passed. I'm dearly sorry to everyone who marched before the 2008 season. However I don't think you should argue against this rule because I can almost guarantee that if you past generation of marchers were in this position, you would be really excited about the idea of another year possible. I feel youth isn't a certain number, but rather the way someone feels, and views themselves. If there are 22 year olds marching, DCI will still be a "youth" activity. And for the poster who previously said that DCI was for TEACHING KIDS instruments and discipline, I learned how to play my instrument in school, and I was taught discipline by my parents. Marching my years in DCI did neither. They only strengthened the foundation.

OK, I understand your point.

BUT my point is that if this rule does pass You will get the extra year but someone else, perhaps a corps buddy of yours, will miss the new deadline and will be disappointed. It doesn't matter what the date is, someone will always be just shy of it and therefore disappointed. For example, someone could argue the cut off date should be in November when most corps hold auditions, or September at the end of the previous season. You have to have a deadline and unfortunately someone is going to be just short of it and dissappointed. You can't fix things for everyone.

And at some point you still have to move on with your life.

Edited by shawn craig

OK, I understand your point.

BUT my point is that if this rule does pass You will get the extra year but someone else, perhaps a corps buddy of yours, will miss the new deadline and will be disappointed. It doesn't matter what the date is, someone will always be just shy of it and therefore disappointed. For example, someone could argue the cut off date should be in November when most corps hold auditions, or September at the end of the previous season. You have to have a deadline and unfortunately someone is going to be just short of it and dissappointed. You can't fix things for everyone.

And at some point you still have to move on with your life.

I agree, and obviously George Hopkins has a theory behind his deadline. And I do plan on getting on with my life. That would be when I get my degree in music, which hey, if the rule passes, it will be right after I age out. Funny how that works out.

I turn 21 in April, so I miss the deadline by over a month, but I'm perfectly fine with that. Currently, I age out this year, I graduate next year, then I want to move on with my life. I love this activity as much as anybody, but there has to be a deadline. To me, aging out would be more important than marching an extra year. Let it be!!

Edited by Thunder_1M1

I turn 21 in April, so I miss the deadline by over a month, but I'm perfectly fine with that. Currently, I age out this year, I graduate next year, then I want to move on with my life. I love this activity as much as anybody, but there has to be a deadline. To me, aging out would be more important than marching an extra year. Let it be!!

That is awesome. I'm very glad that you are calling this year your last. For others, they want more, and this rule allows it. The fact that you want this to be your last year doesn't mean others cant wish for another season.