If not Hoppy, who?

Why do people think that the only way to change is with amps and electronics? Drum corps changes and evolves each and every year. Didn't need amps to do that and it won't need electronic instruments either. Just needs creative minds.

True, they could hold off on electronics and permit WW instead. :devil:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe if amps are eliminated entirely it will only stunt the growth of the activity and even set it back a few years.I'm going to stand up for Hopkins for a moment. Drum Corps needs change.

Now Hopkins...

Crazy

Why?

Brittish style brass bands have had the same instrumentation for over 100 years. They've remained popular in Great Britain and Europe and have made a big come back here in the US in the last 3 decade with an annual convention and competition.

Or how about opera. Several new operas have taken advantage of electronics and world instrumentation with varying degrees of success. But for an opera buff the most important thing is still the singing of beautiful arias by great voices. The most popular operas that sell out are the standards like La Bohem, Madam Butterfly, and Carmen. (Look at the METS schedule and you can see the amount of performances of a "traditional" opera to the amount of a "new" or "different" opera.)

I believe drum corps needs to focus on it's uniqueness and strengths, an all brass and percussion ensemble with movement.

Edited by shawn craig

True, they could hold off on electronics and permit WW instead. :devil:

:w00t::devil::mat::w00t::w00t::tic::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::devil:

...but I love ya Mike :w00t:

Why?

Brittish style brass bands have had the same instrumentation for over 100 years. They've remained popular in Great Britain and Europe and have made a big come back here in the US in the last 3 decade with an annual convention and competition.

Or how about opera. Several new operas have taken advantage of electronics and world instrumentation with varying degrees of success. But for an opera buff the most important thing is still the singing of beautiful arias by great voices. The most popular opers that sell out are the standards like La Bohem, Madam Butterfly, and Carmen. (Look at the METS schedule and you can see the amount of performances of a "traditional" opera to the amount of a "new" or "different" opera.)

I believe drum corps needs to focus on it's uniqueness and strengths, an all brass and percussion ensemble with movement.

:devil::devil::w00t::w00t::w00t:

IMO...

Yes to the first half, and no to the second.

Yes it should focus on it's uniqueness and strength, which is being the premier marching/music activity...marching & music major league sort of thing.

No, it should not just include brass and percussion anymore. Electronics and any other instrument a staff desires to use should be permitted. I'd prefer a new division, as I've said before, but if not, both Open and World should permit any and all instruments. That is how it will remain the premier activity over the long haul, IMO.

Then create a separate division within DCI to have these.

That will solve the problem for certain.

I love ya Mike, but your blanket support for all of Hoppy's desires has be bewildered.

Yes it should focus on it's uniqueness and strength, which is being the premier marching/music activity...marching & music major league sort of thing.

Okay, I see the strength part. Where is the uniqueness part again?