why does BD only have 23 shows?

I think theres a lot to complain about Academy's touring schedule... As a member of a corps who competed against them a lot last year, I found it ridiculous that their first show was San Antonio. What this told me is that while we were on the road and performing, they were still at their home base having another round with move-ins. No wonder they were so good for their first year, they had much more time to practice their show before performing it for the first time. I'm sure if every corps stayed in their home base for 2-3 months, they would be amazing, but thats not what drum corps is about. Drum corps is about going on tour around the country, and giving people performances, while competing against other corps. I think their should be a rule with a minimum tour schedule around 25-30 shows. This will give the corps who actually go on the road a better chance against the guys who would rather get more practice time in.

drum corps is about responsable management, not going bankrupt, and touring within your means, just like Pacafic Crest, the Academy, stays withnin their means.

I don't understand, why are so mad at Academy for doing so well in such a short time, they do accept people from out of state...go march with them....

all you folks on the east coast, hear the CRY

THE ACADEMY IS COMING

Edited by Suviduvi

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way they toured this past summer would be more detrimental to success. You need that judge reaction to know what to change, how to change it and where. Having a fresh set of experienced eyes picking apart your show helps the staff create a better show for the corps to achieve. Have you ever had 2-3 days of straight practice on tour only to have your score barely move, or even go down? I have.

Detrimental to their success would have been for Academy to go out and do a full tour,

be in debt, and THEN not perform this year for lack of money

I bet that would have made a lot of people happy............

If you want to see ANY Corps tour more, whip out your check book or credit card and send them some money................

Stop complaning about what they are doing and support them..........OPERATORS STANDING BY TO TAKE YOUR MONEY

Anybody notice that only Phantom is venturing west this year? Perhaps more visiters could creat more shows on the west. Come on, it's easy to cross the Rockies and the salt flats to get here. Obviously BD is expected to travel anywhere and everywhere to attend the other regions every year! Perhaps the problem is the location of DCI and how the tours line up to get there at the end of the season. It's ok for a year or two, now multiply that by 10.

I think theres a lot to complain about Academy's touring schedule... As a member of a corps who competed against them a lot last year, I found it ridiculous that their first show was San Antonio. What this told me is that while we were on the road and performing, they were still at their home base having another round with move-ins. No wonder they were so good for their first year, they had much more time to practice their show before performing it for the first time. I'm sure if every corps stayed in their home base for 2-3 months, they would be amazing, but thats not what drum corps is about. Drum corps is about going on tour around the country, and giving people performances, while competing against other corps. I think their should be a rule with a minimum tour schedule around 25-30 shows. This will give the corps who actually go on the road a better chance against the guys who would rather get more practice time in.

Experience.

Ever notice last year that Academy rocked out at San Antonio and placed, effectively, 10th at both prelims and finals? They were good. They deserved it at that point, and not Blue Stars, nor Spirit, nor Colts, nor Glassmen at that point were better than Academy, and it was my first viewing of Academy EVER...no dog in that hunt...totally objective opinion.

Then along came the rest of tour, and at finals...Academy was up in the stands. Period. See, there's this thing called experience. I mentioned it first thing to put the bug in your ear. Colts had it. Glassmen had it. Spirit had it. When summer gets old and finals approaches, each of those groups had members who had survived a D1 summer tour. Each of those groups pushed through and had made finals previously. Colts, it had been a couple years, but the ORGANIZATION had the experience.

I was lobbying hard on DCP about how much I was impressed by Academy last year and how everyone should get off their case, and ended up being proven wrong. They needed the shows...to make finals. But they didn't need extra shows to get their business-side stuff established. They needed to do a sensible tour and get...established. Learn what they were doing. Finals would have been gravy.

So can you guys drop the tired old, "I competed against Acacemy, and it just...wasn't...fair!" They beat you fair and square early and a couple other corps beat them fair and square later. Shows how important the performances are. But the long-term viability of the corps is still #1 to a young organization like theirs, so 2007 served a very valuable purpose.

You, your corps, and about 5 others had better watch out, because Spirit has someone climbing up their backside and you still have to pass Academy to get into finals, even if you also leap over Spirit. Again, totally objective. But I find myself envying Academy's position considering the other thread about business-side issues in my corps.

Take note, folks, and don't be surprised if the Phoenix rises while the Firebird fades.

I think theres a lot to complain about Academy's touring schedule... As a member of a corps who competed against them a lot last year, I found it ridiculous that their first show was San Antonio.

hahahahaha.

I can only wonder what other lies about Academy you have been told.

Edited by rightofway

Take note, folks, and don't be surprised if the Phoenix rises while the Firebird fades.

So poetic...

But yes I find it interesting how a brand new div. 1 corps just walked in and stomped 8-10 other corps in the first year....I had someone tell me it was directly related to it being their first year, and had it not been, they would have placed much lower, but i really don't find it true at all...safe to say i really believe this year will be **very** interesting.

So poetic...

But yes I find it interesting how a brand new div. 1 corps just walked in and stomped 8-10 other corps in the first year....I had someone tell me it was directly related to it being their first year, and had it not been, they would have placed much lower, but i really don't find it true at all...safe to say i really believe this year will be **very** interesting.

why even mention that 'someone told you that'? watch the dvds. i think they should have been in finals for the past two years now. and what makes you think they would get the benefit of the doubt for being a new corps? people use the opposite excuse all the time.

Edited by Jared_mello

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid.

So poetic...

So is this one, kind of...