why does BD only have 23 shows?

So poetic...

But yes I find it interesting how a brand new div. 1 corps just walked in and stomped 8-10 other corps in the first year....I had someone tell me it was directly related to it being their first year, and had it not been, they would have placed much lower, but i really don't find it true at all...safe to say i really believe this year will be **very** interesting.

You mean Star of Indiana?? :withstupid::lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you aware that Academy wanted more shows, but couldn't get sponsors to allow them in? Remember, they were a first year Div I corps. It didn't matter that they won Div II in 06. Trust me, Academy wanted more exposure and critique. It might have gotten them into finals their first year in div I. Now they'll have to do it as a World Class corps.

Now now, Garry....YOU know better than the spout actual truths and facts....you're ruining the fun of others who would rather #####, ;iss, and moan abot Academy's schedule then appreciate them for their proven fiscal responsibility....

So the Academy thing has been done to death. Lets spin it with another corps, lets say the Cadets perhaps (take it east, lol). The cadets decide it would be in their best interest to stay in the notheast for most of the season and attend finals. No big deal right ( remember we are using a hypothetical situation) so Allentown roles around (and all the Div. 1 corps are in attendance). In 1st place we have The Cadets. In second place we have BD. How many people would aruge the fairness of the outcome. Would people say " well it must be easy for them, they never left the area and got to practice more" or "BD traveld across the country and had far less time to practice" . Remember this is a hypothetical situation, I would just like to see how people would react to the situation with two top 3 corps fighting for the championship, rather than two corps fighting for finals.

P.S. Love both Cadets and BD, best of luck in this hypothetical situation!! :withstupid:

I think theres a lot to complain about Academy's touring schedule... As a member of a corps who competed against them a lot last year, I found it ridiculous that their first show was San Antonio. ...

CorpsReps.com Academy 2007

Better tell the people who were at the Riverside, CA, Walnut, CA, Glendale, AZ, Long Beach, CA and Calabasas, CA shows that they experienced a mass hallucination when they only THOUGHT they saw Academy at those shows prior to San Antonio's DCI Southwest Championship.

Where's all the people #####ing and complaining about some of the other Div 1's who don't do a full tour (Pacific Crest, for example)? Is it just because they didn't place as well as Academy did? It seems you wouldn't be as upset about this if Academy wasn't so good last year....

(Please note this isn't a burn on PC, just using them as an example since they're the only corps I can think of at the moment with the whole regional touring)

Edited by Carl306

Where's all the people #####ing and complaining about some of the other Div 1's who don't do a full tour (Pacific Crest, for example)? Is it just because they didn't place as well as Academy did? It seems you wouldn't be as upset about this if Academy wasn't so good last year....

(Please note this isn't a burn on PC, just using them as an example since they're the only corps I can think of at the moment with the whole regional touring)

Actualy, PC caught quite a bit of heck on these boards 3 or 4 years ago along these very same lines. I seem to remeber one year that they had to go on first at Quarters and still made semis, yet these boards were full of shouts of "UNFAIR" and other truly nasty, insulting stuff. Maybe the PC-bashing just ran its course and now it's focused on Academy. Who knows. It's all childish, ill-informed, nonsense if you ask me, but what do I know -- I'm just some dope who enjoyed the shows put on no matter how they came to be .... :withstupid:

Honestly, in the future, I think we'll see more of this, not less, so I suspect all these arguments will fritter away on their own soon enough ....

You mean Star of Indiana?? :withstupid::lol:

Yes I'm aware of Star, but see that was what 20 years ago that happened?

I guess more of what i mean is, the fact they can do it...yet corps like pioneers and troopers who've been around and know what's going on don't get out of the bottom spots..

Yes I'm aware of Star, but see that was what 20 years ago that happened?

I guess more of what i mean is, the fact they can do it...yet corps like pioneers and troopers who've been around and know what's going on don't get out of the bottom spots..

It would help to understand history a bit.

Star came out of the gates right away and lit it up. They also were funded by a man with a nearly limitless budget.

Troopers were a dominant drum corps for many years (numerous VFW national championships and DCI finals appearances). They fell off in the 90's and needed to take a year off to get their finances and admin in order...... I doubt we will be seeing them in the bottom any longer now that those things are in order

Pioneer is different. They don't focus on competition. They do as many shows as possible and make it about the kids and about performing. Those kids have a great summer and don't make their focus on competing. It is not like the Troopers and Pioneer didn't know how to get out of those spots. They did not have either the means (as is in the troopers case until they took a year off) or the desire (as is pioneers case).

Academy did not come out of the gates burning everyone up. They spent years building that thing up. They started off pretty rough, but they got better and better every year. It is not like they started out like a house of fire. Instead they showed steady progress. This was done by not exceeding their means each year. Not having the burden of a full tour and all of the expenses and logistical demands that they command is why they have been able to build.

Financial stability is the key for any drum corps to sustain continued growth.