Phantom Regiment Financial Needs Over the Years

It looks to me like Phantom has had some major problems over the years. Hopefully they are getting things straightened out at this time, even though to me it doesn't look like that is the case.

Some people may be looking for 1 or 2 people to blame for the mess Phantom finds itself in these days. Unfortunately, it usually cannot be blamed on 1 or 2 people. Having been on the Board of Directors for 4 different organizations over the last 15 years, I would say most of the problems would be a result of the board. With most non profits, the board must approve every financial decision made. So even if the director(and I am not insinuating that any of their directors have made bad choices) has made some bad financial choices, the board has usually approved these choices. And having been a board member, I realize that some poor choices the board makes can sometimes later turn around to be a little embarassing, probably the main reason they don't want to publicly announce what all the financial needs have been over the years, and where the incoming money has been spent.

I have also volunteered for a local drum corps, where they had an irresponsible director, add to the fact the board was not paying attention to the spending habits, or lack of reporting of incoming finances. Unfortunately I had to watch as this drum corps fell, and watch as many of these young kids lost their chance to march with a fairly local corps.

I do know as a board member, all of our meetings minutes were available to the public. I am guessing Phantoms records are public record as well, and someone wanting to actually visit their office should be granted the opportunity to view these(I don't know the actual laws for Illinois, so you would have to look into this). And while emailing PR is an option, I would think they would want to get the accurate information to as many people as possible without having to individually responding to 50 to 100 emails. The only reason I could possibly think would be so they could tell each individual what they wanted to, without anyone being able to dispute that information publicly. For example, if they said they spent $17,000 on a new car with no extra features, someone else may know for fact they actually spent $25,000 for a loaded vehicle, and mention that on this board. I am not saying that is what happened, but one possibility of why it isn't being told on here.

As a former board member, I personally would rather have all the information public, because the truth usually isn't as bad as some people are going to make up in their heads, and on these boards.

I am not sure how long the current board members have been on, but I don't think they are making the best decisions the last few years, and probably not this year either. As a donor, I would also love to see the projected expenses for the upcoming season, especially with a trip to California adding into an already tight budget. This is one of the many reasons I am a little leery of what is coming this summer. Even when they raise the $100,000(I am sure they are going to make this goal), they have approximately $50,000 left over, which is good. However, when you are trying to make a goal of $1.2 million for the summer, $50,000 is absolute nothing.

So make your donations, but do talk to the director,and board members, and do get information on the past, and upcoming seasons. Feel free to make suggestions, as a good board member will listen. Ultimately the decisions lie with the board, and the youth involved, as well as the fans in the activity are the ones that suffer if the board is irresponsible.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lancerlady: You missed my point. I said "bashing the Cadets", because people on this thread have said that the questions being asked are to bash Phantom. I have no problem with any corps asking for money for anything. At the same point, the corps asking, should give answers to questions. The request for donations was made in a public setting, so why the need for pm and email answers. If you have nothing to hide, you hide nothing. I honestly don't believe they have anything to hide, so I don't get the quiet pm answer. The negativity of the huge load of debt being carried since the 90s didn't look real good. The way it was worked down doesn't bode well for the corps or the activity either, but I am happy they found a way to do it. I just hope it doesn't end up being a death blow to corps in need of loans. As for the Cadets needing money to start the season? I may be wrong, but doesn't every single corps in DCI need money to start the season?

Edited by 84skyrydr

Lancerlady: You missed my point. I said "bashing the Cadets", because people on this thread have said that the questions being asked are to bash Phantom. I have no problem with any corps asking for money for anything. At the same point, the corps asking, should give answers to questions. The request for donations was made in a public setting, so why the need for pm and email answers. If you have nothing to hide, you hide nothing. I honestly don't believe they have anything to hide, so I don't get the quiet pm answer. The negativity of the huge load of debt being carried since the 90s didn't look real good. The way it was worked down doesn't bode well for the corps or the activity either, but I am happy they found a way to do it. I just hope it doesn't end up being a death blow to corps in need of loans. As for the Cadets needing money to start the season? I may be wrong, but doesn't every single corps in DCI need money to start the season?

I missed your point? I'm glad you cleared that up then. Because the way I see it, PR has asked and answered questions, publicly and I'm sure to their alumni. There have been no big secrets here. I believe the need for pm and email answers was directed toward the op who is (from my understanding) a PR alumni. I think the BOD member was telling him he would answer any questions he had in private and that sometimes this forum is not the best place to get the answers.

See I remember when some came on here asking questions about 2 other drum corps that are no longer around. Every time you would ask ANYTHING about what was going on financially a thread was automatically shut and people were not allowed to discuss such things. That corps is no longer with us. Do you think if they were as honest as Phantom and other corps who are upfront they would still be around?

Now Phantom is being as honest as they can and some make it seem that they are accusing them of doing something. That is the difference in those kinds of discussions, and this one, if you ask me.

I only have a little knowledge about how much it costs to run a drum corps and how one is run by my mentor and it is very expensive to run a drum corps. That's why I don't understand all the recent changes, for the sake of changes they made (increase in members) and then expect the public to pick up the tab. That's another topic though.

This is talking about a debt they incured over the years though.

I think they are taking a lot of heat for being honest, but that's just me.

Edited by Lancerlady

did you even read the article? It is clearly directed at Rockford area residents.

talk about spin attempting.

DENIED

You are very naive if you believe that Phantom didn't intend for this news to end up on dcp.

The way some of these postings defy common sense is remarkable. Clearly, because Phantom hasn't posted their entire budget details for the past 52 years in giant billboards on highways, someone's been buying gold plated contras for their personal use. What part of...

1. Email people who actually do handle their budget and you'll get an answer. They even want to tell you!

And / or...

2. It's a non-profit so you can look up this info with some investigating and play armchair CFO 'till your calculator hand cramps.

....don't people understand?? Having those two options available seems pretty #### transparent to me.

The way some of these postings defy common sense is remarkable. Clearly, because Phantom hasn't posted their entire budget details for the past 52 years in giant billboards on highways, someone's been buying gold plated contras for their personal use. What part of...

1. Email people who actually do handle their budget and you'll get an answer. They even want to tell you!

And / or...

2. It's a non-profit so you can look up this info with some investigating and play armchair CFO 'till your calculator hand cramps.

....don't people understand?? Having those two options available seems pretty #### transparent to me.

I'm glad to see someone be logical...(there have been a few others...emphasis on FEW)

I'll admit I'm a Regiment "Honk" but I'm not happy about the situation or how it came to be.

Either way...people can go back and forth all they want...but there wont be any new developments.

If you really want to know...like GSNEWELL said...ask him...I cant think of many corps that would be willing to do this.

...back in the day...thats what people did...before they were able to hide behind a computer screens and point fingers...

If you want to help Regiment...then you will/would have...

I cant believe people have bickered for 11 or so pages.

If you've marched corps (and this isnt to single out people who havent)...then I'm sure you know what initiative is...USE IT!

If there has been no misinformation posted...then I guess the corps doesnt need to explain itself.

the explanation/options seems pretty straight forward...I dont see what the fuss is about...I got the 411 rather quickly...if you want me to tell you...I'd be happy to give you the corps phone number so you can find out for yourself. its really that simple.

If you feel so inclined...you could even POST the information that you get from the corps...I wont because I think people should be confrontational...person to person...

Regiment didnt write the article...a newspaper did...and it was directed at the Rockford community. I'm sure they were aware that it would end up on DCP (cringing)...but if they had WANTED it to be posted here...their PR person would have posted it....from what I see they didnt.

And I find it amusing that some "Borgs" are so quick to rip on a corps when they would blindly follow and defend their corps if they were in this situation.

if you want to bash the corps...then keep this thread going..I wont...this is my last post on this topic...what a waste of my time...and yours too.

If you'd rather gossip about the corps then directly (person to person) ask for the facts...then it is unlikely you wanted to help anyway....you probably just want to spread wild ideas unfounded, sensational and lacking facts.

Regiment spent all of their surplus money on kegs of Old Style...there ...I said it...now will you give them money?

ATTENTION ADVERTISERS - You too can reach this prime demographic by advertising HERE on DCP.

($1 to Tom Leykis)

My GAWD people. It makes Rex and I wonder why the poor sap that runs this place keeps it open sometimes. Your petty nonsense and one-upsmanship does nothing to further the short-term or long-term health of the activity. Step away from the keyboard, please.

Felice Navidad

Edited by BetoSuave

Attention Phantom Regiment: Check sent. Good luck this season.

Attention Moderators: Please do your job and lock (or better yet delete) this idiotic troll topic.

Attention Phantom Regiment: Check sent. Good luck this season.

Attention Moderators: Please do your job and lock (or better yet delete) this idiotic troll topic.

Would you feel the same way if keeping it open meant that another few people who might NOT have heard about PR's need saw the info, and decided to write them a check?

Just askin.... :tongue: