Returning to high school / college band after DC

When I came back from tour and delved into collegiate marching band once again, I was already in the section leader position. It was very easy to take instructions from the director and know what the section should have accomplished at the end of each "block". Sure, treating each member fairly and like a human was top priority, but I knew when the hammer had to be brought out and when to push each member and the section. One of the biggest compliments was from one of my colleagues with whom I had marched since our first day of our collegiate careers. He was a music ed major, now a band director at a high school in the area. Myself, a music business major, who happened to march. He said, "You've taught me so many new and different skills and techniques on how to teach my future bands." We never conversed on what to do, he simply participated and observed the entire season. Sure, we who participate in drum and bugle corps are ascribed to a level of arrogance. However, that level of respect is placed upon us for a reason; we are all role models to anyone and everyone.

Perhaps the initial intent of transforming the youth of America making them better citizens through the drum and bugle corps activity still exists today? Interesting!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mods I thought this forum was about DC. If So why are you all allowing all these threads about Band. Is there not a place for people to talk about band on another forum? You will close a thread about sosmeone asking for alum to donate. Yet, you allow all these threads about band on a DC forum. Interesting to say the least.

I kind of lump transition back into the "real world" as a part of the Drum Corps experience. Kind of like foreign missions through a church or sending organization. Getting back is not exactly a part of the missions work itself, but you look at things differently here once you get back here. It could probably be called wisdom, understanding and a whole lot of other smart words. Cut me some slack.

And I can't believe nobody else found themselves marching to the beat to the in-store radio broadcasting network...you know, the music in the grocery stores? Didn't mark time when stopped inspecting mayonaise price, etc, but I was in step the rest of the time. Crazy. When I realized what I was doing I nearly dropped everything I had in making the effort to get out of step, change my pace and basically look stupid trying to look like a normal person in a grocery store. Probably a really funny moment, but it spooked me for a minute!

You just don't get those kinds of experiences from marching band--at any level of BOA or otherwise. So chill out already.

And I think, for the sake of the reputation of the activity as a whole, it is a good thing to discuss around here every now and again, and each corps should mention towards the end of tour, to prepare members to transition back into MB seamlessly and without being butt-head's about the patches and corps jackets and all.

And people thought I was nuts, running back to my set every time and never relaxing until told to, etc... all those awesome habits that corps drills into you.

Oh yeah...it sticks!

A number of years ago, a friend of mine asked me to fill a spot in his HS band. It was for the Mother Goose parade in El Cajon (a BIG parade locally...totally exhibition) because his lead trumpet was ot due to poor grades...the director had marched contra for Freelancers in 83 and we were sat San Diego State together.

he told the band when we were in practice that, because I was a Blue Devil vet and an adult, that I did not have to come to attention or prarde rest like the rest of them (I guess I'd already served my time!)

still....he called attention, and I was there....some habits are impossible to break, and it wouldn't've felt right to do otherwise.

And I can't believe nobody else found themselves marching to the beat to the in-store radio broadcasting network...you know, the music in the grocery stores? Didn't mark time when stopped inspecting mayonaise price, etc, but I was in step the rest of the time. Crazy. When I realized what I was doing I nearly dropped everything I had in making the effort to get out of step, change my pace and basically look stupid trying to look like a normal person in a grocery store. Probably a really funny moment, but it spooked me for a minute!

I tend to find myself walking in step with whatever music is going on in the background. And if i'm whistling/humming while I walk I tend to change the tempo of the song to fit whatever tempo I'm walking at. I'm weird, I know.

I tend to find myself walking in step with whatever music is going on in the background. And if i'm whistling/humming while I walk I tend to change the tempo of the song to fit whatever tempo I'm walking at. I'm weird, I know.

I swim right hand first...don't know where that came from!

I swim right hand first...don't know where that came from!

Well now, if you swim to a lot of odd metered music, it shouldnt really matter much.

Mods I thought this forum was about DC. If So why are you all allowing all these threads about Band. Is there not a place for people to talk about band on another forum? You will close a thread about sosmeone asking for alum to donate. Yet, you allow all these threads about band on a DC forum. Interesting to say the least.

There is no other place to talk about this topic. If you post it on the other site, all you will get is "I've never marched drum corps" for 99% of the replies, which makes it pretty useless.

If I was a mod I would ban you for being a ###### bag.

edit - assuming you're serious... if you're not, then you got me.

Edited by soccerguy315

when im running on the treadmill/elsewhere while listening to music, if im in step with the music, im always on the left foot on 1 and 3. i switch my feet if the right one is hitting on beat 1.

I had to go back to college marching band after the last three seasons of DCI, as well as teaching HS marching band. I think I got much more frustrated with the college band than my HS. My tuba section at college is 4 DCI contra vets, plus 4 others who aren't too bad, so we are usually on top of our game, no problem. Our director marched contra for bones and at devils which makes it fun still. However, the rest of the 150 people couldn't care less about the program and never give out any effort at all. If I didn't have my HS to teach I probably would have gone berserk a few times and hurt someone... lol...