Academy moving to Jupiter

i have to express my disappointment with Academy. my family sponsored one of the Kanstul horns they play, and I know some other sponsors. maybe we'll get together and write a letter expressing our disappointment. :thumbup:

not only that, the kanstul horns sounded marvelous, and gave Academy a distinctive sound which made them stand out from the rest of the pack. :smile:

i'm very disappointed here :smile:

You missed the posts which state Academy IS keeping the Kanstuls...just not for the corps...they will be use in other AA programs...your donation is NOT going to waste.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to express my disappointment with Academy. my family sponsored one of the Kanstul horns they play, and I know some other sponsors. maybe we'll get together and write a letter expressing our disappointment. :thumbup:

not only that, the kanstul horns sounded marvelous, and gave Academy a distinctive sound which made them stand out from the rest of the pack. :smile:

It's not like the Academy is giving them away, if I were you, I would check with the Director, and get additional details, they (Academy) have been using these instruments for the past 6 years, you must look beyond the donation factor, and see the total benefit that the change may give.

What is best for the corps? Not just your feelings.

Trust be, every one of those 135 peformers each year have been very greatfull for your wonderful donation.

Also get both sides of the story before you judge some one, or in this case an organization.

Your contribution went a long way in making what the Academy is today. You should be proud!

of course I read this, but i'm still soured. in my opinion the Kanstul's are not training horns. my family and i wanted to see this horn in competition (and we almost saw it make top twelve!!).

this is not about Jupiter making and testing better horns for the good of the activity, this is about money and now I feel that Academy sold out.

to Mr. Fox who said that Kanstul doesn't give ANYTHING away, this is true. but maybe he feels he doesn't have to BUY the business. i can't speak for him. the school where I work has a full set of kanstuls and these are the best horns money can buy. we never even THOUGHT of trying to get anything FREE from them, we just wanted the best horns we could get.

Academy aside tho, i think that in a few years that Jupiter will be like Yamaha. it will be generally accepted and will probably be a quality product.

define "training" horn.... because in any definition that i can think of, the academy didn't use them as "training" horns.... :ph34r:

(not that i was ever in a corps that used kanstuls or anything.... oh wait. :tongue: )

i have to express my disappointment with Academy. my family sponsored one of the Kanstul horns they play, and I know some other sponsors. maybe we'll get together and write a letter expressing our disappointment. :tongue:

not only that, the kanstul horns sounded marvelous, and gave Academy a distinctive sound which made them stand out from the rest of the pack. :w00t:

i'm very disappointed here :ph34r:

If, as someone else has said, the Kanstuls have been in use for 6 years, they have been played for all they're worth. Be proud and content that you've had a hand in bringing a great corps into the running!

IMO, the corps sounded a bit harsh last year but assumed it was the arrangement/instruction. Perhaps the horns had a hand in it too? If the new Jupiters live up to the press release maybe some of the rougher edges can be smoothed off the hornline output.

From the Academy website. . . .

Academy to Perform with Quantum

The Arizona Academy of the Performing Arts is pleased to announce a newly formed partnership with Jupiter Band Instruments. The Academy has chosen to perform on Jupiter Quantum Marching Brass, Mapex Quantum Marching Drums and Majestic Quantum Field Percussion beginning with the 2008 Drum Corps International competitive season.

The Academy Drum and Bugle Corps made the announcement during their winter open house for potential members, parents, and educators to hear the preliminary touring plans for the corps. The Academy Drum and Bugle Corps is an organization that operates within the Arizona Academy of the Performing Arts, whose mission statement is “Building Great People through Great Performances.”

Given The Academy’s commitment to the highest level of music education and focus on the finest quality of sound, selecting the Jupiter Quantum Marching Series was the natural choice. Brass instructors Sam Pilafian and Patrick Sheridan along with Percussion Caption Head Glen Crosby have all been critically involved in the development of Jupiter’s new premier line of marching instruments.

“All of us at Jupiter Band Instruments are excited about joining in The Academy’s mission through the Quantum Series. We developed these instruments with a focus on the total ensemble and The Academy is the perfect DCI organization to bring them to life,” says Tabor Stamper, VP Sales and Business Development.

http://arizonaacademy.org/nm/publish/news_346.php

Well there's the official release on Academy's move. Any other big switches in companies from any corps?

Didn't someone post something about Phantom going to Dynasty drums?

Or was that just speculation?

Edited by rosski47

There must be a "Uranus" joke in there somewhere, but...

It's difficult for me to think that these folks are going to suddenly get this right (the Jupiter people).

The thing is, their instruments in the past weren't even close...

I don't know.

It reminds me a bit of when the Bronx Kingsmen were outfitted with an entire set of Whalley Royce instruments in 1966.

The entire drum corps world stood by in rapt attention, and I think that the Emporer's New Clothes syndrome, coupled with great charts and great players made believers out of a lot of people, but when the rubber hit the road they were unstable and untuneable.

If you ever get a chance to play on one of those museum pieces, it's quite an epiphany.

And Whalley Royce had (before that) made a substantially better "real world" product than anything that Jupiter has produced to date.

The fact that this corps has done everything right up 'til now doesn't mean they're incapable of making a major mistake.

Hope not.