Madison announces percussion staff

Good luck to the Scouts.

It's funny how things evolve. Jim Yakas was in his first year marching Scouts in '92 when I marched Coats, and a guy in our snareline went to high school with him in Michigan. He went on to become a caption head for Scouts, along with other things.

Then, in '93, I met John Grant, who was in the Marauders bass line but was eager to play snare. Even asked 'lil ole me some questions about technique at the time (he was 16 IIRC). Now look what he's doing. Simply fantastic.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't the whole reasoning behind the change in admin last year to bring in more alums to teach as opposed to outside staff (if anyone really knows for sure)? This is an honest question, not me being a smark-aleck. I personally think they need at this point in time to bring in outsiders.

No. As far as I know, the change in admin was never about going "old school" as many seem to think. The business about them having an all-alumni staff is just a myth. Even way back when I marched (78-83) there were many non-alumni on staff. They may have a preference for alumni - i.e. given two individuals of equal qualifications, they would probably choose the one who marched. But that is true of every corps.

Looks to me like a great staff lined up. Here is picture of Casey w/snares at the December camp courtesy of Scouts website. There are two returning vets in snareline for 08.

Scouts08.jpg

Looks to me like a great staff lined up. Here is picture of Casey w/snares at the December camp courtesy of Scouts website. There are two returning vets in snareline for 08.

Scouts08.jpg

That's a great picture, considering Casey is holding his sticks traditionally...in reverse! I imagine he was leading on the opposite hand from the line, too!

Garry in Vegas

A buch of really talented non scouts. I don't see a problem there!

I notice that many of the staff members are from Riverside Community College in California. Do they have a top band program or something? Just curious...

I notice that many of the staff members are from Riverside Community College in California. Do they have a top band program or something? Just curious...

Famous all over the world!

Yes they do, their drumline is very competitive in WGI and won gold 2 out the past 3 years. Also their Color Guard is one of the worlds best at RCC. They are called FANTASIA, they have won gold at WGI many many times in both open then moved to WORLD and stayed on the top of the heap.

Here is some of their track record for the drum and guard programs at WGI:

RCC Drum Line WGI:

2007 1st

2006 4th

2005 1st

2004 2nd

2003 3rd

2002 1st

WGI world guard and open

Guard was 2nd 2007 .3 out of first

2007 2nd

2006 1st

2005 9th

2004 1st

2003 3rd

2002 1st

2001 3rd

2000 1st

1999 2nd

1995 1st

just to name a few.......

Edited by Cop

I would have thought they would have more than 2 returning vets in the snare line. Even though that's an improvement over last year, it's almost like

starting over again. Did last year's snare line have a lot of Scout rookie age outs?