Drum corps popularity in the general public

and my friend Ed Dempsey proves how young he really is... I remember when a dollar or two was a lot for a show... but think about what he said folks... it is a different world... cheap stadiums, few hidden costs like insurance and security, and .25 a gallon gas... and not a lot else to do... meant that many people would try a drum corps show... especially when the Legion the frequented asked them to go or when the Pastor on Sunday morning recommended it... or in the case of Boston, When Cardinal Cushing demanded it... lol and how many of us at Legion Nationals were disgusted at all the drunk legionaires in the stand. After all, Legion nationals was a drunken vacation for them and attending finals was "expected" of them even if they were still wasted.

An interesting thought just zoomed into my head... the audiences to us Drum Corps fanatics - back then - tended to be rude and crude... we all #####ed about it... after all, they didn't know all the nuances of the activity...

So what happens now... Mom and Pop Jones for one reason or another decides to spend $15 or $20 each to attend a drum corps show... Once the show starts, every time they try and talk to each other about what they are watching, someone next to them screams at them to shut up... and when pop has to pee... and gets up to leave during a show that's boring him... the daggers fly... and then when he's done, if his timing is bad, he stands in the concrete walled entrance seeing NOTHING until the corps he is missing is done... On the way to the parking lot... one of the corps he watched is walking back to their buses and the line goes on for ever, Mom and Pop Jones politely slip through an opening in the line and the next thing they know, some obnoxious kid is dropping F bombs all over them and they don't even know why...

The next time they have a free evening... the $15 will get them into a movie and throw in popcorn...

You see... we CAN be our own worst enemies....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and my friend Ed Dempsey proves how young he really is... I remember when a dollar or two was a lot for a show... but think about what he said folks... it is a different world... cheap stadiums, few hidden costs like insurance and security, and .25 a gallon gas... and not a lot else to do... meant that many people would try a drum corps show... especially when the Legion the frequented asked them to go or when the Pastor on Sunday morning recommended it... or in the case of Boston, When Cardinal Cushing demanded it... lol and how many of us at Legion Nationals were disgusted at all the drunk legionaires in the stand. After all, Legion nationals was a drunken vacation for them and attending finals was "expected" of them even if they were still wasted.

An interesting thought just zoomed into my head... the audiences to us Drum Corps fanatics - back then - tended to be rude and crude... we all #####ed about it... after all, they didn't know all the nuances of the activity...

So what happens now... Mom and Pop Jones for one reason or another decides to spend $15 or $20 each to attend a drum corps show... Once the show starts, every time they try and talk to each other about what they are watching, someone next to them screams at them to shut up... and when pop has to pee... and gets up to leave during a show that's boring him... the daggers fly... and then when he's done, if his timing is bad, he stands in the concrete walled entrance seeing NOTHING until the corps he is missing is done... On the way to the parking lot... one of the corps he watched is walking back to their buses and the line goes on for ever, Mom and Pop Jones politely slip through an opening in the line and the next thing they know, some obnoxious kid is dropping F bombs all over them and they don't even know why...

The next time they have a free evening... the $15 will get them into a movie and throw in popcorn...

You see... we CAN be our own worst enemies....

now tom your really getting to the whole point and yes after reading your post i have to agree with you 100%. well said old friend.

All I can say for certain, is that when I watch shows from my childhood days (mid 80's to mid 90's) I STILL get goosebumps and have the hair sticking up on end. I STILL jump out of my chair and yell and scream or even cry (even when I'm alone) because what I'm seeing and hearing moves me THAT MUCH!!! I know why the crowds were getting naked and throwing flaming babies at the end of each performance!!! I can't really put it into words. But I haven't felt that way at a drum corps show since about 2001 Madison, or maybe 2003 Boston. I'd give anything to feel that way about drum corps again.

I agree with what Tom and Ed have had to say about all this.

I will disagree with Tom on one point, though.

Anything bad that 's happened to this country since the mid-1960's..... it's all Ted Kennedy's fault. :tongue:

Fran

Anything bad that 's happened to this country since the mid-1960's..... it's all Ted Kennedy's fault. :tongue:

Fran

Please don't say that. My wife is driving through the "Big Dig" even as we speak.

Andy

Anything bad that 's happened to this country since the mid-1960's..... it's all Ted Kennedy's fault. :ph34r:

Fran

barrack obama loves him today. :tongue:

I didn't come to that realization myself until I spent a season as a rugby referee - same sort of thing to an extent - you're responsible for the management of the flow of the game working within a set of rules. You're just as much a part of the game as the players.

See ya in a few - of course, you are always welcome to stop by camp this weekend to visit!

Sara, How true, it's all interwoven. Rugby...that's football without the extra padding...ouch! I see that Kanika just secured a practice sight at Yerba Buena HS or (Good Herb HS) similar to Site X on Yerba Buena Island is there something cosmic about this?. As for rehearsal this weekend I'll try to make it. It's always great to hang with my fellow drum corps bros and sisters.......don't forget your dot book. I read Gillman's e-mail about having your music memorized. For me it still a non-committal situation.....but I am doing the CNYP. Obviously the push is on for the Renegades with about three months before all hell breaks loose. :shutup::tongue::devil:

Ben

Have you been to a movie lately? $15 is just one ticket. Throw another $10 on for a decent size popcorn. :shutup: It's insane.

Edited by I.R. Baritone

I know why the crowds were getting naked and throwing flaming babies at the end of each performance!!!

:shutup::tongue::devil: ROFLMAO!!! The visual on that is priceless!

Edited by I.R. Baritone

I thought this might be an interesting subject for conversation.

They televise everything from sports to wrestling to to the most ridiculous talk shows imaginable. Jerry springer for instance.~rolls eyes~

Why has drum corps never gained the popularity it deserves?

I had a hideous thought this morning. I really can't believe I'm saying this but, Maybe George Hopkins is just trying a new formula?

A desperate attempt to add something new to possibly give drum corps a new boost.

What we've done so far, hasn't had an effect, toward getting the general public interested in what we do.

Drum corps is entertainment! It's also a sport.

Blast was a success. They found a way. And as far as I know they play to packed houses. But they also utilize instruments that are not allowed in the drum corps arena.

I was curious if there were any other groups that have tried stylizing their performances as Blast has done. As a means of reaching the general public.

Hi Cin,

I've thought the same thought a thousand times. We drum corps folk are a very special kind of people. We are talented, intelligent, soulful and sensitive. We love life, relish it (too much, sometimes) and we found this incredible way to express ourselves and our feelings. Drum Corps is having it's season now, but will pass, as all things do. Fortunatley, drum corps will be strong for a few more years, at least for our lifetimes. But that genetic "thing" that is in our drum corps blood will be around in some form or other, as long as there are people. I think Blast is a good example.

Hope things are going well on the Chesapeake,

Bruce Linderman