Cadets 2002

The crowd did eat it up...look no further than the standing O during and after Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy.

One of my favorite Cadets shows, with an underrated Don Hill arrangement. The end of the first movement is just golden, the West Side Story riff into the low brass hit and the ending. Keep in mind I'm an amped vocals hater, not a Cadets hater. :thumbdown:

Edited by Hrothgar15

back to the original topic...

i've seen judges pick up dropped mouthpieces/pieces of a horn, and hand it to a player if they lost it at a halt or something. that's kind of nice, even though most of the time it's the player's fault.

i was just about to attempt this, but you beat me to it

:thumbdown:

i personally like the 2002 Magic of Orlando judge

tenor player marching backwards falls over kettle drum being pushed by colorguard (who dropped her rifle so is late in pushing it), does a complete back sumersault, the drums rolling over and completly off of him.

the perc. judge stops judging and runs over to the fallen tenor player to make sure he is ok

kudos to the judge and to the tenor player for running back in there

Plus, the Pledge part was historically inaccurate for their show theme: the "Under God" portion wasn't added to the Pledge until the mid-50's.

But, you know: anything for GE, right? :thumbdown:

I know, historical accuracy, blah blah blah. But I'm sure you'd have seen people in the stands/on DCP/whatever freaking out if they had edited out the "Under God," and Hoppy would've been called the antichrist/an atheist/a heathen etc. I feel like not enough people realize that Under God was added so recently to appreciate the historical accuracy and not throw a self-righteous hissy fit if that chunk was pulled out.

FWIW, maybe the Cadets staff didn't even realize the Under God was added later. Who knows?

I know, historical accuracy, blah blah blah. But I'm sure you'd have seen people in the stands/on DCP/whatever freaking out if they had edited out the "Under God," and Hoppy would've been called the antichrist/an atheist/a heathen etc. I feel like not enough people realize that Under God was added so recently to appreciate the historical accuracy and not throw a self-righteous hissy fit if that chunk was pulled out.

FWIW, maybe the Cadets staff didn't even realize the Under God was added later. Who knows?

Someback ground as to why everyone did realized the line was not historicaly accurate in 2002:

It sounds like you may not have followed the 2002 season too close, but this topic was debated here on DCP as to the motivation to the "Pledge Line" being added to the Cadets show. And being added to a storyline that predated the phrase "One Nation Under God."

The debate revolved around the emotional attachment to the controversy at the time. You see the 9th District Circuit Court in California had just ruled those words in the pledge violate the First Amendment, which says that ''Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion'' and so the "LINE" became a violation of our constitution.

The Cadets then added the now controversial line to their All American show.

The political backlash and the White House along with Christian leaders would not allow the decision to stand. It was appealed and overturned.

It seemed, one might be labeled un American if your believes were not in line with the majority. Once again this was on the heels of 9/11.

Hence the discussion of the elements of The Cadets 2002 production coupled with the 9/11 tag at the end (for applause? or Tribute? Good taste? Bad taste?)

We the viewer get to make up our OWN minds.

San Francisco Cronical dated JUNE 27, 2002

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../27/MN67763.DTL

CNN NEWS dated JUNE 27, 2002

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/26/ple...ance/index.html

Edited by Cop

Many corps have used fake American flags as props throughout the years. Star of Indiana used one in 1992. But we all should know one thing by now from our time spent on DCP. The only time something can be disrespectful or wrong is when it is done by the Cadets :thumbdown:

People say that Cadets were trying to capitalize on 9/11 for GE, but when Boston Crusaders use a picture of a 9/11 fire fighter for GE that is okay. (I need to add that I thought Cadets and Boston had great shows that season)

DCP should no longer be known as Drum Corps Planet. It should now just be refered to as Disrespect Cadets Profusely.

It goes both ways, really. From what I've seen, people tend to mix "negative" together with "personal." Each "side" (if you want to call it that) tends to be overly defensive about their opinions, which is simply just that, their opinion.

Here are 25 reasons we can't all be HATERS, just fans with a voice,,,

2) 97.025 The Cadets This I Belivie

:ph34r:

1) 93.175 The Cadets Alice doesn't live here anymore

1) 99.150 The Cadets The Zone

4) 95.600 The Cadets Aqualung-Living in the Past-Thick as a Brick-Bouree-Locomotive Breath-Songs from Wood-Mother Goose-Cross-eyed Mary

3) 97.10 The Cadets Fanfare and Allegro-Malaguena-Rocky Point Holiday

3) 96.75 The Cadets Times Square-The Place Where Dreams Come True-Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy-New York Memories-America The Beautiful

2) 97.60 The Cadets A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra-Moondance-Vido Cor Meum-Farandole

1) 97.65 Cadets Walt Disney World's Millenium Celebration

4) 96.4 Cadets The Big Apple

1) 98.4 Cadets Bergen County Stonehenge

2) 97.6 Cadets Bergen County Celebration-Year of the Dragon

3) 96.9 Cadets Bergen County Tender Land-Tulsa-Billy the Kid-Red Pony

2) 97.2 Cadets Bergen County Reivers-Born 4th of July-Blowing off Steam-Swing

2) 97.7 Cadets Bergen County West Side Story

1) 97.4 Cadets Bergen County In the Spring-Hymnsong Philip Bliss-Ballet Sacra

:smile:

2) 97.0 Cadets Bergen County To Tame the Perilous Skies

6) 93.7 Cadets Bergen County Short Ride-Letter from Home-Prelude, fugue+riffs

1) 97.7 Cadets Bergen County Candide-Mass-Somewhere-Fancy Free Ballet

5) 95.6 Cadets Bergen County Les Miserables

4) 96.1 Garfield Cadets Copland Symphony #3

:ph34r:

1) 97.9 Garfield Cadets Appalachian Spring

:thumbdown:

4) 95.6 Garfield Cadets On the Waterfront-Wonderful Town

1) 98.4 Garfield Cadets Jeremiah-Make Our Garden Grow-Candide

1) 98.0 Garfield Cadets Westside Story

1) 94.40 Garfield Cadets Rocky Point Holiday-Mass

3) 92.25 Garfield Cadets Rocky Point Holiday-Concerto in F

Edited by Cop

How one intends and idea to be doesnt alway mean that is how it is received. Maybe then the ideas were bad. How I received it, and others received it, all diferent ways, who is right and who is wrong, it has to be on the same level as those that designed it ?

It was in poor taste, it was way to soon to try and make a "tribute" when wounds didnt even begin healing yet, and these designers were fully aware of that. To make matters worse, the re-enactment of ground zeron on the field, less than a year after it occured ?? Sorry , say what you want it was in poor taste, many did get up and leave and sadly, three guys that marched in 1989 shook their heads and apologized to me and those with me that night in Madison telling us how embarassed they were at that moment to be associated with Cadets, left and didnt come back.

Nothing ignorant about that.

~G~

G..

Maybe their was a little self-healing going on. We should remember our geography as well as our history. Remember that Bergen County, NJ (Cadets land at the time) overlooks NYC..you can see most of the NYC skyline.

Do you think maybe Hop and company, being at the time, citizens of the greater NYC area, were trying to put on the field how THEY felt that horrible tuesday morning. It is not unlikely that there were people in the Cadets familt that were touched by the tragady. Remember, New York, and its environs, was their home.

Umm, no, the crowd didnt eat it up, many found it inappropriate.

~G~

Yeah, you know when my wife and I were at Sea World this past summer and they opened the gates and started the day there with the pledge and national anthem. . .we were ######! How dare they! :thumbdown: