Cadets 2002

Ok, here are some of my opinions on the whole 2002 matter. I thought overall the show was great. I wasn't real thrilled about the pledge in it.

As far as the ending with the firefighters, I was bothered by this. Not so much they did it, but as I was talking to some parents in the stands, they were saying this was planned as a tribute all season long. Once again, I wouldn't have had a problem with this, but if it was a true tribute, and not a last minute gimmick, I believe they should have had it in the show earlier in the season. There were many people in my area booing this on finals night.

As far as the original subject of the judge, I thought that was completely inappropriate for him to get involved with the pledge and flag, simply because it was part of a show, not a true reading of the pledge of allegiance. The judge is supposed to be paying attention to whatever part of the show he is judging, not the raising of the flag. He very well could have missed something that could have raised the Cadets a placement, or lowered them a placement.

As far as finals night and the firetrucks across the street, I was a little bothered by this when it happened. I understood what was going on, just kind of thought it was tacky that night. HOWEVER, after watching the Cadets tour dvd from that year, I see that Hoppy had talked with the Madison Fire Dept asking for them to do it. And while I wasn't excited by it, I guess if the Madison Fire Dept didn't have any problems with it, then I guess it was ok. If they felt it was appopriate, then I am not completely opposed to it as I was the night it happened.

Overall it was a good show. I loved alot of that show, minus a few moments I considered tacky and innappropriate. Just my opinion. I can see where some people may have been excited, or completely appalled by it. I personally don't know what goes on in the minds of Hoppy or the staff, and maybe they had really good intentions, well thought out or not.

I was there on Sept. 11 and there in Madison.

I'll start in Madison. The crowd loved the show. They ate up the performance and the sentiment. The cheering was as enthusiastic for Cadets as it was for other corps even with the usual malcontents pissing the usual vinegar. No objective listener could possibly conclude the crowd was disappointed because it wasn’t – sirens and all.

G is entitled to feel as he does. But his isn’t the only view with a personal reference. I found nothing objectionable in a show that evoked the emotions of the moment and its aftermath. That show seemed very much in accord with the healing of the nation. Indeed, one of the prevailing themes of that time was to move on without forgetting what happened. The Cadets were in tune with that. It was a great show.

And by the way, the firefighter moment reenacted wasn’t an actual Sept. 11 event. Just thought I’d mention that for those who’ve forgotten that image came after the initial tragedy and was part of the healing process too.

HH

Well, I cant speak for the whole crowd, just my section, and many were not enthusiastic with the ending, choosing to sit on their hands and show vocal displeasure. That pretty much contradicts your views on the crowd eating it up.

I wish my recollection fo the days events were not as close to home as they were. You get to move on, find closure, we get invited to ground zero year after year and revisit our loss.....but I feel for you also and am sorry for the trauma you went through, all of us went through.

My opinion is valid, yours is valid, they are all valid as long as the intent for feeling that way is true, ie: I respect yours, do you respect mine ? Im sure we arent alone in the views we hold, that has to say something.

~G~

I don't get the whole pander thing. Is Phantom pandering by playing loud to get "points" from the crowd? Is BD pandering by playing jazz? If they were pandering, it obviously did not work too well.

We felt that it was pandering because it was put in right when the rulings about the pledge was a hot news story. Had it been a part of the show from the beginning of the season, I wouldn't have had a problem with it at all. IMHO, using a current event to get a rise out of the crowd is pandering. BD and Phantom are not pandering by playing jazz or playing loud because that's their tradition, not a hot news story.

Who knows...maybe George and company were planning on putting in the pledge all along. The timing of it, however, seemed off.

***edited for bad grammar.

Edited by Senagod

We felt that it was pandering because it was put in right when the rulings about the pledge was a hot news story. Had it been a part of the show from the beginning of the season, I would've had a problem with it at all. IMHO, using a current event to get a rise out of the crowd is pandering. BD and Phantom are not pandering by playing jazz or playing loud because that's their tradition, not a hot news story.

Who knows...maybe George and company were planning on putting in the pledge all along. The timing of it, however, seemed off.

I cant say i read their minds, but it certainly sounds like something they would have been thinking of either way. Most corps staffs start thinking about their shows before the previous season even ends, so i doubt it was a completely opportunistic decision.

you can ask pretty much anyone who knows me well.... I'm not a huge cadets fan.

However, this is on my list of all time favorite shows.

I won't get into the emotional/politicalness etc. That said, I'm a fan of all of it except for the 9/11 tribute. Just didn't really rub me the right way, and seemed a bit too much.

but really...it's one of my all time favorites.

My opinion is valid, yours is valid, they are all valid as long as the intent for feeling that way is true, ie: I respect yours, do you respect mine ? Im sure we arent alone in the views we hold, that has to say something.

~G~

I do respect your opinion. So please undertand when I say that our rare perspectives on that day are not the point of reference from which others should judge the Cadets show. That's because they didn't see or feel what we did and can't be expected to respond as we do (or don't).

HH

We felt that it was pandering because it was put in right when the rulings about the pledge was a hot news story. Had it been a part of the show from the beginning of the season, I wouldn't have had a problem with it at all. IMHO, using a current event to get a rise out of the crowd is pandering. BD and Phantom are not pandering by playing jazz or playing loud because that's their tradition, not a hot news story.

***edited for bad grammar.

That might be your feeling, but the pandering label was put on this show from the beginning by many people.

I love the ballad in this show, especially the trumpet solo. Such a sweet melody.

Seconded!

Personally, I didn’t like the pledge part mainly because I don’t like the ‘under god’ part in the pledge and I recall them shouting that so I was ticked. I heard a boo too. Have not watched that show in years because of my memory of it.

Generally, when you put political statements into a show you will split, alienate and tick off parts of the audience, which is bad GE so you should be nailed for it. Of course, it’s every corps right to take a side of an issue, but why would they?