Biggest Travesties in WGI or DCI

Mad Scotty, Cavies did not share the brass trophy in 1995, high brass went to BD, Cadets, and Scouts. Each had the highest score one of the nights, I believe. As with 1992, Cavies 1995 had all the pieces put together as well or better than anybody (so that takes care of 1992 beating a Cadets corps that was peaking at just the right time but just couldn't get there). And Cadets 92's brass score (I think field brass specifically) dropped to 5th (read: below Cavies) finals night. In any case, a less-than-perfect hornline does not tank the whole corps...see Cavies 00 and 01, Cadets 98, Scouts 88...among those that if I remember correctly did not place in top-2 in brass but still won the gold.

Also, Cadets 93 is far from mediocre. You can like/enjoy it or not, but I don't think it's disputable that that corps was cooking on all cylinders, including brass. The only caption they really stumbled on on finals night was percussion (don't think anyone would argue that Star deserved to win that that night). Could have been cleaner visually (as could Star and Phantom), but it also could not have been harder visually.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

travesty 2 from 1995, cavaliers tie for top brass with madison and the devs. not even a top 6 hornline that year, they played a book an average high school band could have pulled off and didn't play it particularly well. that was the year i started assuming the judging was actually rigged. the cavaliers have had great hornlines in the last decade, take nothing from them, but those 1992 and 1995 championship corps (and the years around them) were actually embarrassing to listen to, and i mean that literally, i knew guys on both hornlines and i really was embarrassed that they had to step off in shows against the devs, scouts, vanguard, and phantom and sound like that night after night.

The Cadets tied with BD, and Scouts which was the average of all three nights. The Cavaliers were 4th in brass.

the missing muchachos finals performance. thats a travesty. i mean yeah, they marched overage guys, we get it. but seriously, i've heard tapes of their semis show that year (and i'd kill to get another copy to replace my long lost one), and i think that might possibly have been the best hornline ever to step off a show. up there with 95 scouts and 91 devs, at the very least. they should have let them march, killed their scores and called them exhibition for breaking a rule, or given them a ten point penalty just to make the point. that would have been enough to convince the several other corps marching overage members to get with the program. i mean, seriously, there are penalties for every other rule, and they are enforced, and its not a problem. why toss someones entire corps from finals night over any rule violation that doesn't violate a law or endanger a corps member or spectator? the finals death penalty thing was angry and unprofessional, not just.

Every time I read this warped logic I have to smile. Just think how good Madison & SCV would've been if they marched their best age outs

from the last 4 or 5 years.

The biggest travesty in WGI or DCI are the people that actually think there are travesties. Drama.... :tongue:

I agree. I can't think of a single placement that was so wrong the warrant the melodramatic title "travesty". Most of the time we are talking about splitting hairs in determining winners. I have strong opinions in lots of cases but it isn't hard to make a case for the opposite opinion in any of them.

BD not winning in 88 is probably the year I disagree with the most, but travesty? Nah.

I really feel that Phantom should have won in 2006. Although they were lucky to jump BD like they did, I still feel that their music was better than the Cavaliers. Cavies 2006 show honestly sounded to me mostly like metallic clinks and alot of percussion. That's just my opinion.

(snip, snip...)

1993 star losing to a mediocre cadets corps was a true shocker, i still have no idea what the judges were watching and listening to that night.

This is one that comes up that I still don't understand...there was NOTHING mediocre about the 93 Cadets. I don't like that show as much as their 92 offering, but it was cleaner, faster, harder, and in all ways excellent.

To steal from a football cliché, if they played each other 10 times, they probably would have split it at five apiece.

Every time I read this warped logic I have to smile. Just think how good Madison & SCV would've been if they marched their best age outs

from the last 4 or 5 years.

i'm not sure i get where your coming from here. i'm not suggesting they should have been scored or rated better than corps who followed the rules, just that the show shouldn't have been canceled the day of finals. i've seen exhibitions from corps who marched older than 21 performers at finals before, haven't you? just to set it straight, i agree that a corps who marches age outs has an unfair competitive advantage and should not be scored alongside a true junior corps where all the members are 21 or younger. i just think kicking a corps out of finals entirely the day of the show, after they have already been invited and showed up to the event, was too harsh. it was a great show, they should have played; they cheated, they should not have been adjudicated against legal corps. thats where i'm coming from, as a fan of the activity, more than the score sheets, which i don't find particularly valid or useful anyways. and lets face it, this isn't the only time the corps directors who run dci have used their collective power to control access and scoring to hammer someone they didn't like out of the activity. dci's dark side, we all know it exists. sometimes people take this activity too seriously, get too wrapped up in the small picture, and to misquote dr. bruce banner, i don't like them when their angry, i really don't like them when their angry.

for the couple of guys who pointed out that the cadets were in the 3 way tie for high brass in 95 i misremembered. it was a long night, and full of surprises, i got part of it wrong. i looked on corpsreps, apparently on finals the scouts beat the cavs by one tenth in brass performance, and the cavs beat the scouts by one tenth in ensemble music. still, for anyone who was a fan of dci in the early 90's, the consistent overscoring allowed to the cavaliers, who put out a series of exceptionally weak hornlines in that era, was certainly a mystery. my guard friends all loved them, thought cavvies and cadets were the class of that era. and my drummer friends felt the cavvies were clearly heads and shoulders above everyone else. to my hornline friends, they were a running joke. and lets face it, i know subjectivity plays a huge part in these discussions, thats part of the fun of it, but by any objective measure, excepting the 93 corps, those hornlines were really, really bad.

Xmen getting nuts and bolts in '79

I know what you mean. Thanks for posting this.