Biggest Travesties in WGI or DCI

Biggest travesty: Phantom Regiment placing 3rd in percussion last summer.

AMEN !!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know if anyone mentioned this, didn't go through the entire thread.

The last minuite SCV Bottle Dance ending in '82 Finals. From what it looks like to me on the video, the crowd went nuts when they head the into to the bottle dance and caused a distraction to the DM and the players and people got WAYY off. But it's only GE at that point anyway, so it's ok. :tongue:

One of the biggest Travesties I have seen is SCV winning in 1989 with a record high score.....edging out Phantom with a victory in percussion. You know.....the drumline with snare players bouncing off one and another and the quad player dropping one of his sticks during the drum solo........ :tongue:

Hmm, I guess Garfield shouldn't have won drums (or received a perfect 20.00) in 1987 because they had a tenor player miss a direction change (which would fall under the visual caption, BTW) and had a judge hand a dropped bass drum mallet back to its rightful owner - both comparable offenses, wouldn't you agree? The point is, there is no instant replay in drum corps and EVERY corps has its flaws - yes, even on finals night. The 1987 Garfield Cadets remain a worthy champion as do the 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard.

Edited by kerickson

star getting 4th in field visual at 93 finals, thus causing their second place finish.

no one will ever convince me that phantom or the cadets or the cavaliers were better visually on the field that night than star.

If you watch the segment where they do the experiment on Dave Reeves they show high camera footage earlier in the week of their show. On finals night their forms looked a little more off than earlier in the week IMO. A drop I could see, but I still feel it was the best show out there on Saturday.

star getting 4th in field visual at 93 finals, thus causing their second place finish.

no one will ever convince me that phantom or the cadets or the cavaliers were better visually on the field that night than star.

Phantom, Cadets...I'd say they were better than Star.

Cavaliers...yeah, they should've beat Cavaliers. There were WAAAAY too many falls in that show.

Going back several years ago, there was the 1977, 78, and 79 seasons when Phantom Regiment kept getting second place. I feel that Phantom should have won at least one of those years. Both Blue Devils and SCV were excellent, but I feel that Phantom should have won at least once. I think 1978 and 79 were probably their best 2 years of the 3.

If you watch the segment where they do the experiment on Dave Reeves they show high camera footage earlier in the week of their show. On finals night their forms looked a little more off than earlier in the week IMO. A drop I could see, but I still feel it was the best show out there on Saturday.

forms =/= field visual.

forms =/= field visual.

I have heard lots of tapes where the visual performance judge calls out bad intervals and poor dress & cover.