Open Class Sizes

The Hornline book is really great (Nice job Eric Senzig) and the contracted members we now have are strong.

A fellow Sky 92 alum! Thought about looking Eric up to see what he was up to a while back. Glad to hear he's still involved with corps.

I was the guest of Teal Sound last weekend and was amazed to see this "little" corps with 67 horns. Full battery (9?/3/6), and one tenor had to be moved to pit due to lingering health issues. Full compliment of plates and loaded pit as well. This corps is definitely geared up for a jump to WC.

Actually, they will be marching a larger corps this year than any of us in the 128/135 eras. :tongue:

RE: OP's point, I would be extremely surprised to see a top 3 corps with less than 150. Same thing with OC--size will probably matter is my guess. Just a hunch. Especially when you start comparing volume at the big hits--140 vs 100 is a NOTICEABLE difference. It's like Tiger Woods vs Justin Leonard off the tee--simply no comparison!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of these larger open class corps plan on moving up to world class in '09? I saw Teal Sound last year, and it's looking like they are experiencing some very positive growth. How about Jersey Surf and the Spartans?

If they all move up, a certain corps from Southern Wisconsin will have some more groups to kick them around and keep them in the celler. Ouch!

Do any of these larger open class corps plan on moving up to world class in '09? I saw Teal Sound last year, and it's looking like they are experiencing some very positive growth. How about Jersey Surf and the Spartans?

If they all move up, a certain corps from Southern Wisconsin will have some more groups to kick them around and keep them in the celler. Ouch!

Wow man, you're classy.

A fellow Sky 92 alum! Thought about looking Eric up to see what he was up to a while back. Glad to hear he's still involved with corps.

I was the guest of Teal Sound last weekend and was amazed to see this "little" corps with 67 horns. Full battery (9?/3/6), and one tenor had to be moved to pit due to lingering health issues. Full compliment of plates and loaded pit as well. This corps is definitely geared up for a jump to WC.

Actually, they will be marching a larger corps this year than any of us in the 128/135 eras. :tongue:

RE: OP's point, I would be extremely surprised to see a top 3 corps with less than 150. Same thing with OC--size will probably matter is my guess. Just a hunch. Especially when you start comparing volume at the big hits--140 vs 100 is a NOTICEABLE difference. It's like Tiger Woods vs Justin Leonard off the tee--simply no comparison!

I'm glad to see you enjoyed seeing Teal last weekend. We actually have 70 brass but are only marching 64 using alternates.

DUMB post removed, by me. SORRY

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

Won't you look foolish when that group from "Southern, Wisconsin" is Still as ALWAY'S in Last or Next to Last place.

I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying.

He's saying these open class corps are gonna come up and kick Pioneer around and keep them in the cellar.

You guys are both truly class acts.

Wow man, you're classy.

rosski47

SORRY, You are RIGHT.

I Mis-Read the post. :tongue:

(I thought I was Defending the three mentioned.)

I do think that the three mentioned Corps will give some of the lower World Class Corps some Good Compitition though.

Sorry again for my last post.

I was in Nashua last weekend and Spartans appeared very small as they only had about 30 members at practice. Could not get an exact nunber because they were doing drill without equipment and only 4 performers were with the front ensmble. I cannot see how the spartans were granted world class membership for 2009 with membership this small

It was very enjoyable last year to watch Mempho rock the stadium with only 30? brass players and 12? in the drumline (I dont have exact #s). Although it would have been nice to see 15 guard instead of 8 during those big musical moments it was still an awesome show. Bigger isn't always better (But I am sure Surf will show us it is better in most cases this year hah)

Thanks! We were pretty much just trying to make sure that everyone would enjoy the show, so it's good to know it came across. Your numbers are pretty close. 29 hornline and 12 battery (and 11 I think, don't remember, in the pit).

I'm interested in how the numbers will turn out this year across the board. It'll definitely be interesting to see exactly how it plays out with only one division.

Memphis is really excited about this season.

Here is what we are hoping for:

40 brass - currently 29 on contract

24 guard - currently 19 on contract (woo hoo up from the 8 last year)

21 battery - currently need some plate players!

8 pit - a few openings

So if you don't have a place yet...check Memphis out! www.memphisdrumcorps.org Move in this Sunday!