So for "All Age" parades are something to look forward to?

The Renegades CNY parade is a very special event - not only is it a HUGE parade with lots of TV visability for the organization, it is also a fundraiser for us as well as an opportunity to recruit members. It's also a way for us to welcome other members of the drum corps world to "be a Renegade for a day".

And the jello shots aren't bad either... :ph34r:

they were the 2 best, funnest parades i've ever marched. :ph34r:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like 'em, or not, this activity NEEDS parades to prosper.

Parades are the best (because they cost the audience nothing) means to introduce what we do to POTENTIAL audiences who we later hope to pay to see more of us.

Frankly, I would think the corps with most success in this type of marketing effort are those who perform easily recognized tunes as they pass by. (ouch!) All-age groups are most likely to have benefit there.

Any thoughts?

:ph34r:

Parades are the best (because they cost the audience nothing) means to introduce what we do to POTENTIAL audiences who we later hope to pay to see more of us.

Frankly, I would think the corps with most success in this type of marketing effort are those who perform easily recognized tunes as they pass by. (ouch!) All-age groups are most likely to have benefit there.

Any thoughts?

Without a doubt, they are necessary, I just was surprised to see all the excitement about CNY parade and then Saint Patrick's Day . . . I always hated parades. YET, since I am not marching currently (haven't since '79, or if you count boot camp '80) even a parade would sound like fun. I might check out Freelancer's and Friends (actually almost certainly will), because I don't think my wife would take to well to the time commitment for marching in say Renegades . . .

Edited by jdostie

I'm odd. I've always enjoyed parades. Like others have said, they are a quick, relatively easy manner for corps to make $$.

While the Rose Bowl Parade and Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade will always be special to me, I've taken great pride in marching in hometown parades. Patriotism exemplified! I've loved parades in Rochester, A'town, Racine, Milwaukee, Woodstock, Bridgeport, Plymouth....

Any thoughts?

I agree on recognizable tunes for the audience in a parade...though from what I have read I think DCI corps also tend to learn a few parade tunes along those lines, not just all-age.

Sounds like the ideal parade! :ph34r:

We had a comfortably cool temperature, a relaxed pace and even a light Jersey mist coming down on us...sort of refreshing for a St. Pat's parade.

the brothers do a parade,as follows: go get beer and a pizza,find a spot along the parade route and watch the corps march by..................that always works well!

Dang Fred, you beat me to it again!

Aside from the money, parades were a great recruiting tool. The high school and college bands always hung around to catch a look at us. Even where the parade might not pay any money, the Reading Memorial Day parade was a good example, you made yourself visible in the community and one or two people would always ask about joining.

But my bottom line – I just enjoyed playing.

the brothers do a parade,as follows: go get beer and a pizza,find a spot along the parade route and watch the corps march by..................that always works well!

:ph34r: :ph34r:

I'm odd. I've always enjoyed parades. Like others have said, they are a quick, relatively easy manner for corps to make $$.

While the Rose Bowl Parade and Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade will always be special to me, I've taken great pride in marching in hometown parades. Patriotism exemplified! I've loved parades in Rochester, A'town, Racine, Milwaukee, Woodstock, Bridgeport, Plymouth....

I'm with you, Cozy!

I've enjoyed just about every parade that I've ever marched in!

Macy's was extraordinary, Disney was a lot of fun (with 2-7), and the local parades in Jersey have always been a blast, especially those honoring our veterans!!!

I've loved parades in Rochester, A'town, Racine, Milwaukee, Woodstock, Bridgeport, Plymouth....

Like Kenny Norman always said, you get more exposure on the parade route than you do at on the field. BTW, I have six of those above mentioned parades too!

Coming to Harrisburg Cozy?