Gotta Love the Locals!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those must be very secluded areas, then. It's very rare that I come across that kind of racism down here, and it's usually when i'm in some backwater town with literally one stop light

There is racism everywhere, people aren't always quick to say they hate these people or those people. However, we've strayed waaay off topic! More stories about locals doing crazy things! I've got one about not necessarily loving the locals, per se.

Finals in 05 Magic was housed at a school about 2 hours from Foxboro in Mass. It was a pretty ghetto neighborhood and we were informed upon our arrival that there was a shooting a few blocks from the school. Our admins decided that we were not allowed outside after dark, get what you wanted/needed from the buses, etc. before the sun set or don't get it at all. The food truck was parked mere inches from the door to the school to keep everything tight knit, etc. Well during one of our last visual rehearsals we noticed 3 kids with a hacksaw trying to saw through the chain of a bike that was secured to a bike parking thing. They were really going at it and after about a half hour they left only to show up again about an hour later with more heavy duty equip. They eventually got the bike and rode away. Aaron, our visual caption head, was talking over the loud speaker about them and the entire ensemble was in shock at what we were witnessing. Broad daylight, three kids are stealing a bike with over 135 people less than 50 yards away from them. Big Brass ones...

06 DCA.....Dream pulls up to it's practice site and Darkman makes a little speech....more accurately, telling us we need to lay off the highly un-PC commentary we were throwing at each other back home when there was no one else around....

(Now ya gotta remember something....Darkman is black...and he was probably the WORST one that year about throwing out racial comments....funny as all get out.....but being black he cold get away with it FAR more than anyone else except for the bottom bass)

Once I saw the area I understood why....welcome to Drums Along the Projects....

actually, it wasn't that bad...i don't remember getting a single bit or grief from the locals.

"are you in that drum and bugle band?"

"Sunrisers? What's that a swim team?"

I have a nice local story. Simple, short, and sweet. Our corps and Impulse had been staying in the same housing site in 06 during Finals week. The locals caught on to us and they were glad to house us. The night of ageout ceremony, the town through both corps a huge bash with cake, hot dogs, and root beer floats. :tongue: Anyone up for Ultimate Frisbee?

I've told this story here before. This is the text from that thread.

Crossmen ’96 at rehearsal finals week – Crossmen were staying west of Orlando at some huge high school that had scheduled orientation or some such event that brought hundreds, if not thousands, of kids to campus. Among the students were the school’s cheerleaders, decked out in full uniform and ready to assert their position in the social hierarchy. Most of the kids were either disinterested in the Crossmen’s rehearsals or so pre-occupied with their school agenda that they paid no attention. Not the cheerleaders. Traveling in packs, they seized the opportunity to make fun of the “band” for anyone – mostly themselves – who would listen.

When it came time to hit the field for ensemble, many of the cheerleaders followed. From behind the goal line, they mocked the guard by pretending to spin flags and rifles, pointing and laughing as they did. Then as Crossmen set to run Birdland, their goal-line tormentors began to wander off across the back sideline. The music started, and the cheerleaders halted for another jab. This time, though, their body language wasn’t so assertive. It was obvious they weren’t so sure any more. So they stopped. And listened. And watched.

Soon, it was something else altogether. Disarmed by the happy strains of Birdland and the flash of the flags, the cheerleaders were now interested in what they saw and heard. When they pointed, it was at something special. When they talked, it was to praise (it seemed). The tune ended. They stood still as if waiting for more. When they left, there was no joking, no pantomime. Respect? I think so. Spine-tingling.

HH

In '85 our housing for finals was in Waterloo. The school we stayed at had an indoor pool that was open to the public during the summer. While we were there they gave us our own private hours. Throughout the week there were always lots of people watching run-throughs and at the end of the week the community threw together a B-B-Q for us. One of the few great moments I can recall from that year.

And yes Sam. I remember the Sunnyvale loon.

Edited by skajerk

A couple from VK, back in the day...

Being adopted by the local farmers in Byhalia, OH, for US Open. Started in 73 and went on for years.

Getting challenged by the locals in Toledo, then finding themselves facing rifles, sabers and flagpoles. This also involves the Knickerbockers who said they had our backs...and other weapons that could be concealed in a pocket. And the cop that showed up, said there wasn't anything he could do, then drove across the street to watch.

Courtesy applause in Great Bend for our exhibition performance after having the busses separated for a day and arriving late.

Performing inside St. John's Episcopal Cathedral in Spokane, WA. The priest said he saw people he hadn't seen in years. They came down to see what was going on because we were warming up on the grass outside. (PS Priest was a former Kiltie.)

Knocking on a door of a house in the formation area for the Huntington Beach 4th of July parade to see if a bass drummer could use their bathroom.

The Oktoberfest Parade in Big Bear, CA. Bikers and :thumbdown: , and lots of beer. Some drunk guy staggering alongside the corps with his cigarette held like a horn, until the mello player next to him turned and lit up his brain with a bell-shaking blast to the ear. He literally fell into the crowd. And, of course, the drunks with the "show us your :thumbdown: " signs everytime a color guard or drill team came by. (Thought it was a little too much when they did it to the Girl Scouts.)

Next?

Garry in Vegas

That was the same story I posted originally....one of my fave moments with Dream.

Should I post the tale of being in Walt Counts' car and being rear-ended...with a cop in our ranks??? (same parade, too!)

Heh! Officer Happy really gave that guy an earfull!

Garry in Vegas