SO......what do you do?

Nice Doug!

May I have your watch when you are dead?

I in like kind have come out of retirement in order that I may have the chance to march with THIS RENEGADE CORPS!

I also will be playing as high and loud as possible! I might even play the written parts! LOL

I am an installation project manager for Philips Medical Systems. I manage installation of hospital wide patient vital signs monitoring systems and their associated data networks covering a large portion of northern California.

But that's boring.

Frank, I think you can relate to this.

As of yesterday I have returned to my position of upper lead soprano for the San Francisco Renegades. This includes:

* high notes...lot's and lot's of high notes.

* Confidence and bravado beyond my abilities.

* Missed cut offs. This is science believe it or not

You know the gig :smile:

UFLS

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Doug!

May I have your watch when you are dead?

I in like kind have come out of retirement in order that I may have the chance to march with THIS RENEGADE CORPS!

I also will be playing as high and loud as possible! I might even play the written parts! LOL

Is this some kind of cruel April Fools joke or are you serious????? :smile:

BTW Tony, I just watched your 1983 BD solo last night.

Edited by SaraNYC

This is a really cool thread, kudos to Frank for starting it. I read through it checking to see if anyone does what I do for a living. Officially, I work for a telecommunications company as a consultant. I work with military accounts, contacting people to find out why there have been no payments made in quite some time. Yes, I am a lowly bill collector. That is my full time gig. My part time gig is with a local amusement park, doing what I do best, take catering tickets and talk. Nothing real earth shattering as I am more impressed with the occupations listed previously in this thread. It is incredible when you stop to think about what poeple that are on the field do for a living.

I am a Senior Linux/UNIX Systems Administrator for The Weather Channel, and a staffer on the Linux side here at DCP. I've been in UNIX Admin for 17 years, and if I wore a beard at all, it'd probably be a neck beard, partnered with a pocket protector.

I'm in charge of all things website. Apache/Tomcat/Perl/Java, etc. I do all system builds which means that anything the 40 or so developers come up with to go into the site, I make sure it gets there, works right, and smoothly transition the site to the new code.

I work directly with the developers to troubleshoot their code (apparently they can't do it themselves...not bitter much) and to make sure all things are resolved before deployment.

Heavy on customer service, heavy on technology, heavy on geekery.

I've founded two gaming leagues (one in Akron, the other in Baton Rouge) and helped out in the organization of two separate Linux users groups. I now belong to a Perl mongers group and a Linux user group here where I call home, Atlanta.

After 17 years of coolness, the computer industry is starting to wear on me, and I've made arrangements to enter Georgia State University this coming fall to finish my college degree and do music for the rest of my life.

Joined CorpsVets in 2003, liked it so much I moved to Atlanta from Baton Rouge. Became a field staffer this year.

Edited by CVQuesty

I am a Senior Linux/UNIX Systems Administrator for The Weather Channel. I've been in UNIX Admin for 17 years, and if I wore a beard at all, it'd probably be a neck beard, partnered with a pocket protector.

I've founded two gaming leagues (one in Akron, the other in Baton Rouge) and helped out in the organization of two separate Linux users groups.

After 17 years of coolness, the industry is starting to wear on me, and I've made arrangements to enter Georgia State University this coming fall to finish my college degree and do music for the rest of my life.

Joined CorpsVets in 2003, liked it so much I moved to Atlanta from Baton Rouge. Became a field staffer this year.

Heeeey <$1 to Fonzie> another Unix person and a SysAdmin to boot. But no Linux for me, after I quit the Admin bit just back to programming in a couple of languages. :smile:

And both of us "past the kid stage in age" geeks play horn... :worthy:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Saved TWC roughly 10-20 million by switching everything from Sun/Sparc to Intel/Linux. We never looked back.

The platform is sound enough now that you can get a lot done with these little "toy boxes" as some like to call them. All I know is that my fridge stays full because of Linux.

:D

The platform is sound enough now that you can get a lot done with these little "toy boxes" as some like to call them. All I know is that my fridge stays full because of Linux.

:D

LMAO at "toy boxes", my groups first test Unix box (ca 1995) looked like a small filing cabinet and could sit in the office area instead of the air conditioned backroom. We shoved it in an empty cubicle and loved it when someone (usually a mainframe type) saw it.

"What's that?"

"That's our new system"

"No seriously, what is that?"

OK break over, back to fighting an SFTP issue... :smile:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I don't bite.

Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - , heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour. It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ### off and ship a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation?

And here's something else: I have eight different bosses right now. Eight. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Well see, they wrote all this bank software, and, uh, to save space, they used two digits for the date instead of four. So, like, 08 instead of 2008? Uh, so I go through these thousands of lines of code and, uh... it doesn't really matter. I uh, I don't like my job, and, uh, I don't think I'm gonna go anymore.

Edited by Sir Tix-A-Lot

We're putting together a presentation to help educate more people in our community about who we are and what we're about -- and one of the things that we've focused on is that we come from all walks of life, come in all shapes and sizes and colors, and do all kinds of things -- but that we're drawn together by this crazy activity that becomes a part of us forever.

This thread helps prove that it's universal. Some great reading here.

Thanks, Frank!

:smile: