SO......what do you do?

But just look at how inexpensive it is to live in your area. :sad:

:sad:

what was it that was on the news the other week about lovely Connect-the-dot? that we're "the richest State in the Union" . . . :guinesssmilie: well they obviously didn't ask EVERYONE here! :sad::guinesssmilie::wall:

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sputter* DAAAYYYYAAAMMMM!!!!!

No kidding.

The firm is in Redwood City though, a hour and 40 minutes EACH way from where I live now on Public Trans. I would have to move down there, probably buy a car and then not be close enough to the city to play music regularly. And I don't think I have quite the experience they are looking for.

Liz, I think the biggest industry in the Bay Area is the legal industry. There are SO many law jobs out here.

I'm just happy that the 6 years I spent working conflicts in NYC isn't going to be a waste and that I'm in a position to make a career out of it. I doubt that I will ever get an academic library appointment without a Ph.D. at this point. Corporate librarianship is a dying field and I have no interest in being a law librarian.

Life is to short. Ya gotta smell the roses.

This has got to be the best hobby ever,huh?

Cindy:

You've got that right. It's a hobby with a dynamic mix of social, artistic and athletic aspects that is hard to find in other activties. Moreover, the people are just great. It's a huge physical (for an old guy like me) and time demand that makes it hard to balance family, career and hobby. Yet, we somehow keep going.

Mike (Doc)

Ok I'll play along...

Im a Music Education Major with a second concentration in Secondary (5-12) Social Studies at Marshall University, which during the fall/spring pretty much is my job. :innocent:

I am in the process of attempting to get a job with Student Security here on campus, so hopefully I will find out something about that soon. I also teach bands (specifically brass, but I'll teach woodwinds as well) whenever I get a chance. I am also a brother in the Zeta Eta chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia where I am honored to serve my brothers as the chapter secretary/organizer of things outside the chapter. :ph34r:

I'm sitting here, looking at all of these posts, and I know a majority of you. But I only know that you are involved with Drum Corps in some way.

What do you actually do for a living, when you are not playing drum corps on the weekends?

So what do you do for a living?

Thanks Frank, for starting this thread...

I've thought about this recently, we've marched next to so many folks for so many years and never knew what they did (do) for a living. It has been an honor to have known so many leaders in this activity that have also been leaders in their industries. (Yea, I know... one would think that would have been kinda obvious)

For myself...

Mechanical Engineer (graduate of Tufts University) though I have worked in several segments of my field, IE; Aerospace with United Technologies - Norton Systems, Security Industry with Napco Security Systems and several government sub contractors I had been doing design/fabrication work for each of these. (hold some 2 dozen design patents)

Then there's the Sun Perc harnesses in the '80's....LOL

I've also owned/operated several business, a machine shop, a jewelry store (we had a store in Lynn MA and moved it to Poughkeepsie, NY opening the store in the mall in Poughkeepsie then opened anther one in West Point Military Academy) we also owned an import/export business with business in over 40 states and some 12 (or so) countries.

Now because of some health related issues I am retired but I do watch my grandson (Jacob) during the week while Angela is at work. (If I had known this kind of "work" was available I would have had grandkids first.... no, instead...hehe)

Again, Thanks for starting this thread!

See you in Harrisburg next week...

Yours in Corps,

Tony ;-)

PS: Time to go get Jacob, he's starting to fuss... must be feeding time :innocent:

Aww dang it...

Don't tell me I killed this thread? :ph34r: (I was the last one to reply? :innocent: )

Sorry Frank... :innocent:

I'm a sheperd.

Occasionally I moonlight by collecting various garments and items made of wool, comprehensively separate all of the fibers and restore to the sheep that which was wrongly taken from them.

I'm a sheperd.

Occasionally I moonlight by collecting various garments and items made of wool, comprehensively separate all of the fibers and restore to the sheep that which was wrongly taken from them.

And ten you stomp them.... :innocent:

Aww dang it...

Don't tell me I killed this thread? :doh: (I was the last one to reply? :doh: )

Sorry Frank... :ph34r:

Don't worry, I'll be the one to kill it! :doh:

I'm a middle school teacher at a small Catholic school in Ellicott City, MD. I teach LA, Science and Religion. I make the 45 minute commute from Frederick County to work during the week, and then a 90 minute drive to Manassas Park on the weekends to be with Shenandoah Sound. Guess which drive I enjoy more! :doh:

btw..Shenandoah Sound is still looking for more members..come on down guys!! :smile: