SO......what do you do?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank Joe! And thanks to all of you who have been sending me the good job search vibes.

I just accepted a conflicts analyst position with a top International Law Firm headquartered in San Francisco. I have six years experience in this field. I was originally hired by a top firm in NYC back in 1999 to do this type of work - they wanted to hire someone with a library degree because of the research aspects involved in the work. Things didn't work out so well, mostly because of the lack of professional growth in the job and because my boss, well, my boss was a little difficult. Let's just say that I overheard my boss talking on the phone to someone after I gave her my notice in 2005 and the conversation went a little something like this from her end: "Yes, she just gave her notice and that's JUST FINE with me. Yeah. Well she'll never work at another law firm again!"

She loses. I win.

I start April 28st! Looks like I'm on the West Coast to stay for a while.

Congratulations!!

Great day to start also.....my B'day.

Nothing like a 9-5 job to make you appreciate your music the most. Good luck.

Congratulations!!

Great day to start also.....my B'day.

Nothing like a 9-5 job to make you appreciate your music the most. Good luck.

Yes - for some reason I find that I am most productive as a musician when I am working it around a day job...

Edited by SaraNYC

Thank Joe! And thanks to all of you who have been sending me the good job search vibes.

I just accepted a conflicts analyst position with a top International Law Firm headquartered in San Francisco. I have six years experience in this field. I was originally hired by a top firm in NYC back in 1999 to do this type of work - they wanted to hire someone with a library degree because of the research aspects involved in the work. Things didn't work out so well, mostly because of the lack of professional growth in the job and because my boss, well, my boss was a little difficult. Let's just say that I overheard my boss talking on the phone to someone after I gave her my notice in 2005 and the conversation went a little something like this from her end: "Yes, she just gave her notice and that's JUST FINE with me. Yeah. Well she'll never work at another law firm again!"

She loses. I win.

I start April 28st! Looks like I'm on the West Coast to stay for a while.

Congrats ... Sounds like a great gig.

Dude, that was the worst part, it wasn't a lawyer. Lawyers I can handle, this was a Records Manager.

FWIW Records Managers usually are far more anal than most lawyers. at least in the firms i've worked with. :sad:

FWIW Records Managers usually are far more anal than most lawyers. at least in the firms i've worked with. :sad:

I agree. That one was a real piece of work. I'm in the New Matters/Risk Management/Bus Dev side of it now - this firm has 50 people in their conflicts dept to support 1000 attorneys - I'll actually analyze the results before passing on a detailed analysis of any potential conflicts to the requesting party. At the firm in NYC we had two for 600-700 - we basically searched databases and passed on a data dump for the lawyer to weed through themselves. My new firm obviously provides a high level of customer support to our clients and I like that.

I actually have a bidding war going on right now - another firm was told that I accepted another position but told a recruiter to try to get me to interview - they are offering up to $23K more than the offer I just accepted.

LOL.

Edited by SaraNYC

i definately am working in the wrong place. :sad: