SO......what do you do?

Well.....I was Carney Wilson's dietician........then I got a gig as Elliot Spitzer's travel agent.........now I'm Hillary Clinton's speech writer!

:tongue:

Are ya? :tongue:

ps Dale ,I thought it was schiesse :beer:

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Lee--this is a very very cool thread.

Well, I guess I'll jump in. I lead two lives in the world of "work", but like most people in the "pageantry arts" this is something of the norm.

Since 1978, I've been involved with all facets of the pageantry activity and have worn about every single hat there is to wear--performer, director, administrator, judge, announcer, designer, instructor, consultant, reviewer. I guess one of the things I can proudly point to is strangely something that I don't love as much as I think some people think I do, but it's my announcing reputation. I started announcing literally by accident back in high school, and have never stopped. I've announced marching band shows, winter guard shows (WGASC and WGI), drum corps, and even parades. My most recent "accomplishment" that I'm most proud of was my work for DCI as the announcer for the Division II/III Championships as well as being the "Voice of the Kingsmen", and being allowed to respectfully take the microphone from DCI's Brandt Crocker and announce the Kingsmen Alumni Corps on to the field at the Rose Bowl last August. Yeah--that's me that asks "Audience...are YOUUUUUUUUUUUU ready??" I'm also the only announcer on the planet that pronounces Sam Signorelli's name correctly, much to his ever-loving enthusiastic delight. I look up to the great announcers of the world like Brandt Crocker, Joe Bruno, and of course, "THE MAN" Fran Haring, and only hope I can some day be remembered in those ranks. Knowing me though...probably not! HA!! In the world of show design which I admit is my real love, I've had some moderate success over the years. I've written for well over 175 marching bands, drum corps, and winter guards all over the country. I'm nowhere near as good as the likes of Michael Gaines, Myron Rosander, etc, etc, but what I think I DO do well is provide good solid "interesting" yet attainable stuff. I've also judged marching band shows all over the country (and available for this fall--cough cough!...in the area of visual performance or effect). I strongly believe that if I were to sit down and really concentrate for about 2 weeks, I could come up with a marketing plan and REALLY push and make my design/announcing/judging business a full-time, family-supporting venture. Why haven't I? Because of my day job...

Nice segue Turner....thank you...

In my DAY job, my career, the bread and butta...I've been working since August 15, 1994 in the Emergency Command Center of the Orange County Fire Authority in Irvine, California. We are the 4th largest fire department in the state with 60 fire stations, well over 85,000 incidents per year for the past 3 years, and a service area that covers 22 contract cities covering 600 sq miles and 1.3 million residents. I started as a lowly dispatcher, promoted 5 years ago to a shift supervisor position, than promoted two years ago and became Project Manager for the creation and implementation for a customized, in-house Tiered Emergency Medical Dispatch system. Basically, I created a way for our dispatchers to quickly prioritize medical aid calls and allow them to send a BLS (Basic Life Support) response versus an ALS response (Advanced Life Support). The goal behind this was to decrease unnecessary Code 3 (lights and sirens) responses because it's inherently dangerous to both citizens and fireguys to be blowing down the street with lights and sirens. So, with the help of a large committee, I was able to get this program launched. Since then, I was promoted last October to the position of Senior Fire Communications Supervisor, overseeing the Administration and Training of the ECC. I work M-F on a 9-80 schedule, which means I work 9 hours a day for Monday-Thursday, and then on alternating Fridays I either work an 8hr shift or I'm off. I am, because of my announcing background, considered by most everyone in the department as "The Voice of Orange County Fire", and do lots of voiceover, MC gigs, and broadcasts because of my booming baritone voice (whatever Turner). Do I love my job? There are some things in the world of 911 that are truly not for everyone. You try giving CPR instructions over the phone to a hysterical mom who just pulled her 2 year old daughter out of pool, all the time while you're giving instructions and trying to get the lady to calm down and you can't stop thinking about your own 2 year old daughter back at home. You try being forced to stay at work during a major emergency and not being allowed to go home for 6 straight days, and then you are let go, but only for 12 hours, and then you come back, and do 6 more straight days. That's days as in 24 hour days, not 8-5 days. So...yeah. LOVE? I don't know. I love that I am able to be an industry where you are "apart" from the normal work force having a most unique job, and I love helping people. But there are days where I wish I could just go march drum corps for the rest of my life and be done with it.

So that's me...again, for Frank Ponzo, in case he's reading this tripe of mine, great thread! And for John Z...I'll be in Tampa Bay in June for the NENA Conference...perhaps you will too?

So that's me...again, for Frank Ponzo, in case he's reading this tripe of mine, great thread! And for John Z...I'll be in Tampa Bay in June for the NENA Conference...perhaps you will too?

Ryan "Hawaiian shirt" Turner meets John "Steel City '87" Zaragosa. Both of you will need EMTs. :tongue:

Okay, I'll play along...

I'm a financial advisor with my own firm, Gibbens Financial here in Erie, PA. I specialize in retirement and pre-retirement planning, wealth management and risk management. I hold licenses in many states since I've acquired clients all over the US through my contacts in music. Been doing this since 1986.

So....if you are retired, or plan to retire someday........(ahum...) visit www.smartandready.com and enter passcode RETIRESMRT. There's a brief video that explains it better.

I'm also a freelance professional musician. I tell people all the time that I'm the luckiest guy on the planet to be able to do what I get to do, and that's PLAY!!!! My first professional gig was actually playing trumpet in a polka band with Gary Matczak, back in 1980 (JD!!). I've moved on to play for some big names, Bob Newhart, Debbie Boone, Clay Aiken, Lucy Arnez, Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons, the Temptations, Huey Lewis & the News, etc....

I also am the main contact for ceremonial buglers here in Erie. We have a group of at least ten poeple that could attend a funeral service at a moments notice to sound "TAPS" for our heros! Last year alone, I performed 96 service personally.

God Bless America!!!!

Edited by Jeff Gibbens

This is one of the most interesting and cool threads I've seen on here in a while.

Good stuff.

Thanks Lee!!!!

Good luck at Camp this weekend. I am actually going to be out in San Francisco on Sunday. I was hoping to get over to "Site X", but I see you are in San Jose....darn, darn, darn...!!

See you again soon

And I might add that Donny was a part of the greatest horn band out of Rochester, NY...The Power Company.

I am in the process of getting re-certified to teach music in NYS schools and getting off of disability.

In the meantime, I still have my own business of arranging, consulting, instruction and adjudication of marching bands and drum corps. I will tour the DCI life one more time this summer as things are coming back together for full time employment. I have played the trumpet professionally for many years, taught in schools and consulted at many band programs. I am still active in DCI with Pioneer from Milwaukee, the St. Joe's Alumni, and Ghost Riders mini corps.

Donny

In 2007 I was a Senior Technical Analyst for Verizon Wireless. However, as of Jan 1, I am a Systems Consultant - Networking Services for Verizon. Basically I provide network support for Verizon Wireless, including retail stores and kiosks and "The Network" made famous by the commercials. I'm still waiting to put on my hard hat for the commercials.

I agree with Lee--this is a very very cool thread.

Well, I guess I'll jump in. I lead two lives in the world of "work", but like most people in the "pageantry arts" this is something of the norm.

Since 1978, I've been involved with all facets of the pageantry activity and have worn about every single hat there is to wear--performer, director, administrator, judge, announcer, designer, instructor, consultant, reviewer. I guess one of the things I can proudly point to is strangely something that I don't love as much as I think some people think I do, but it's my announcing reputation. I started announcing literally by accident back in high school, and have never stopped. I've announced marching band shows, winter guard shows (WGASC and WGI), drum corps, and even parades. My most recent "accomplishment" that I'm most proud of was my work for DCI as the announcer for the Division II/III Championships as well as being the "Voice of the Kingsmen", and being allowed to respectfully take the microphone from DCI's Brandt Crocker and announce the Kingsmen Alumni Corps on to the field at the Rose Bowl last August. Yeah--that's me that asks "Audience...are YOUUUUUUUUUUUU ready??" I'm also the only announcer on the planet that pronounces Sam Signorelli's name correctly, much to his ever-loving enthusiastic delight. I look up to the great announcers of the world like Brandt Crocker, Joe Bruno, and of course, "THE MAN" Fran Haring, and only hope I can some day be remembered in those ranks. Knowing me though...probably not! HA!! In the world of show design which I admit is my real love, I've had some moderate success over the years. I've written for well over 175 marching bands, drum corps, and winter guards all over the country. I'm nowhere near as good as the likes of Michael Gaines, Myron Rosander, etc, etc, but what I think I DO do well is provide good solid "interesting" yet attainable stuff. I've also judged marching band shows all over the country (and available for this fall--cough cough!...in the area of visual performance or effect). I strongly believe that if I were to sit down and really concentrate for about 2 weeks, I could come up with a marketing plan and REALLY push and make my design/announcing/judging business a full-time, family-supporting venture. Why haven't I? Because of my day job...

Nice segue Turner....thank you...

In my DAY job, my career, the bread and butta...I've been working since August 15, 1994 in the Emergency Command Center of the Orange County Fire Authority in Irvine, California. We are the 4th largest fire department in the state with 60 fire stations, well over 85,000 incidents per year for the past 3 years, and a service area that covers 22 contract cities covering 600 sq miles and 1.3 million residents. I started as a lowly dispatcher, promoted 5 years ago to a shift supervisor position, than promoted two years ago and became Project Manager for the creation and implementation for a customized, in-house Tiered Emergency Medical Dispatch system. Basically, I created a way for our dispatchers to quickly prioritize medical aid calls and allow them to send a BLS (Basic Life Support) response versus an ALS response (Advanced Life Support). The goal behind this was to decrease unnecessary Code 3 (lights and sirens) responses because it's inherently dangerous to both citizens and fireguys to be blowing down the street with lights and sirens. So, with the help of a large committee, I was able to get this program launched. Since then, I was promoted last October to the position of Senior Fire Communications Supervisor, overseeing the Administration and Training of the ECC. I work M-F on a 9-80 schedule, which means I work 9 hours a day for Monday-Thursday, and then on alternating Fridays I either work an 8hr shift or I'm off. I am, because of my announcing background, considered by most everyone in the department as "The Voice of Orange County Fire", and do lots of voiceover, MC gigs, and broadcasts because of my booming baritone voice (whatever Turner). Do I love my job? There are some things in the world of 911 that are truly not for everyone. You try giving CPR instructions over the phone to a hysterical mom who just pulled her 2 year old daughter out of pool, all the time while you're giving instructions and trying to get the lady to calm down and you can't stop thinking about your own 2 year old daughter back at home. You try being forced to stay at work during a major emergency and not being allowed to go home for 6 straight days, and then you are let go, but only for 12 hours, and then you come back, and do 6 more straight days. That's days as in 24 hour days, not 8-5 days. So...yeah. LOVE? I don't know. I love that I am able to be an industry where you are "apart" from the normal work force having a most unique job, and I love helping people. But there are days where I wish I could just go march drum corps for the rest of my life and be done with it.

I sure am Ryan.......this is GREAT stuff!!!! :tongue:

Thanks for adding to it!

Retired Model Maker/CAD-CAM Technician with Kodak. Great job, but after 35 years and my stars aligned they couldn't catch running out of the door when it was my turn last July. For years I helped supply the world with new design, technology and innovation in almost all of the phases of Kodak product.

And here's the big one, and I'm surprised I haven't heard this yet, I am current employed by my wife working on the 'honey-do' list that I never had the time or ambition to do all those years I had that other job. Now this is real work. My suggestion to all of you still working, DON'T RETIRE!

I own an architectural firm, practicing in the commercial areas,.......... mainly office, retail, bar and restaurant design, and some industrial.......................and play drums professionally on an occasional basis,...........

Hey Gary - do you write off your Drum Corps expenses as research for designing bars?? :))