Will you attend the DCI Countdown this year?

Will You Go?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to the DCI Countdown this year?

• Yes.
    • No.

Yes, I almost feel obligated to go and support the activity in anyway possible because I have gotten so much out of it, I'd feel guilty not to give back. Furthermore, my life outside of drum corps (School, Work, Friends, Etc.) is a polar extreme to the life spent in drum corps it's nice to mix it up a bit.

For events like this I like to bring a friend (or two) that have never really been to a drum corps performance, because it's a great introduction for those ignorant to the activity. If they show general interest in it, then it's usually pretty easy to convince them to go see a real show during the summer and thus, I have brought another non-DCI person into the realm of drum corps and usually they become a lifetime fan. If they don't show much interest and think it's kind of boring or not really something for them, no harm, no foul, we drove 20 miles and payed half the price it would have cost to see a live performance. I have to say, of all the people I have introduced to the activity I have had a handful really take to it right away and I've had some that were only semi-interested, but I have NEVER had someone flat out say, "that sucked, why would anyone watch/listen to this?".

I think for all of the people that will be going to see the countdown everyone should try and take someone new that has never seen DCI. You obviously feel strongly enough for the activity to be on a forum devoted solely to discussing it so why not share that with another person? Maybe they'll love corps even more than you and I once introduced?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's our duty to support any public drum corps broadcast.

Says who? I didn't sign any papers when I marched that I had to, unless it was in the fine print.

I haven't in the past, what makes me think I'd want to see it now? With no 70s or 80s it's not worth it. LIke someone else earlies, I already have the dvd and videos, why spend $8 to $12 on it?

Edited by sburstall

For events like this I like to bring a friend (or two) that have never really been to a drum corps performance, because it's a great introduction for those ignorant to the activity. If they show general interest in it, then it's usually pretty easy to convince them to go see a real show during the summer and thus, I have brought another non-DCI person into the realm of drum corps and usually they become a lifetime fan.

This is the same way I look at it. I usually spend a few minutes on the way to the theater giving them a VERY BASIC overview of what we're going to experience, what the judges are looking for, etc. (since they can't really ask me questions DURING the show). This way, they enter the theater with enough "insider info" to make them feel like they're semi-insiders, rather than feeling like they're totally on the outside looking in. This has paid off for me big-time, and with only one exception, everyone I've ever taken to this or to the Classic Countdown has asked to attend a live show with me.

Says who? I didn't sign any papers when I marched that I had to, unless it was in the fine print.

I don't think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that still remains~ Anne Frank

And how do you meet other people while in a theatre?

Really

Can I talk through it, I just don’t seeing it as being possible

You pay your money, hit the snack stand, sit in the seat and leave, where is the mixing and meeting strangers, social aspect?

At North Brunswick the past two years there has been all sorts of socializing before the show as well as after, talking to folks you just normally do not get a chance to see very often.

Let's see -

Drum corps

-on a screen way bigger than anything at my house

-on speakers way bigger than anything I own

-in a room (way bigger than my house?) filled with enthusiastic drum corps people

-in the middle of winter (hey it snowed in Chicago just yesterday).

Yup - I will be there.

(and for those who say they're not going because they've seen these shows before - you've never watched a favorite movie more than once or a re-run of a TV show?)

Let's see -

Drum corps

-in a room (way bigger than my house?) filled with enthusiastic drum corps people

Yup - I will be there.

(and for those who say they're not going because they've seen these shows before - you've never watched a favorite movie more than once or a re-run of a TV show?)

And it;s only $10 a ticket. Not bad.

Let's see -

Drum corps

Yup - I will be there.

And it;s only $10 a ticket. Not bad.