Most difficult trumpet feature

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to bring this up yet again, but it is very important to me -- one who was, ya know, in the corps, and took part in every brass rehearsal from november-august.

the cadets 2000 thing was completely real. no tricks. no mirrors. no smoke. no staggering. a gock block and 20 minutes a day.

one night -- baton rouge, maybe? -- a corps on retreat insinuated that it was fake, so after the show, probably 25 members of the hornline had a sectional on it next to the food truck. no one said anything again.

... 1979 Crossmen. I can't remember from what part of the show they did it but I'm thinking it was during "Tiger of San Pedro."

You can check the dvd for yourself....Oh yeah, I forgot, that's the year they got screwed out of finals. :thumbdown:

Not to change the subject, I remember really liking their show that year . . . Is there some controversy I am not aware of/have forgotten about them not getting into finals?

On the subject, I've missed too many seasons in my "hybernation" from drum corps to contribute - everything I know is prior to 1980 - Except a few shows I've watch on youtube with includes the Cadets 2000 show - that was awesome - even on video, it must have been something live.

sorry to bring this up yet again, but it is very important to me -- one who was, ya know, in the corps, and took part in every brass rehearsal from november-august.

the cadets 2000 thing was completely real. no tricks. no mirrors. no smoke. no staggering. a gock block and 20 minutes a day.

one night -- baton rouge, maybe? -- a corps on retreat insinuated that it was fake, so after the show, probably 25 members of the hornline had a sectional on it next to the food truck. no one said anything again.

Mea culpa about what I said about the Cadets 2000, then. I'm glad that I know now.

How can anyone say the 2000 Cadets trumpet feature was not real? I've seen the video many times and that had to be real. Their 2007 feature was also good.

Previously with Freelancers as well (soloist for the '91 ballad I think?).

I believe you're thinking of Scott Steward. He played most of the sop solos in 91, probably 92 as well. He went on to solo with BD in 93 and 95. Most recently he has played with Blast, Music City Legend, and Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. He worked with Spirit last year and is with Jersey Surf this year, IIRC.

I'm glad that mad scotty liked my post about BD and Star 91. And yeah, I agree about Phantom 91. I also agree with the sop soloist for BD 95...he and a bunch of others also pulled off some pretty incredible solo/soli/small ensemble work with unreal timing for the BD 93 show. Suncoast Sound had some pretty crazy sop work in the mid 80s, too.

1991 BD - "Bopster" feature FTW!

If you've never heard it, you need to STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING and GO LISTEN RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbdown:

Really?!? do provide some evidence to this statement. seems to be a little bit of a hyperbole.

Cadets 2001. not just the trumpets, but best hornline I've ever heard.

I think that what is probably a more accurate statement is that equivalent difficulty licks were more difficult on soprano because of the inherent awkwardness of the two handed valve/rotor configuration prior to the advent of two and three valve sopranos.

I would also add that from the perspective of M&M efficiency, military bearing, and the just plain coolness of all that music coming from a relatively hidden mechanism that valve/rotor ruled!

Edited by Geneva