DCI Finals in Bloomington

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd much rather watch a drum corps show outside. :guinesssmilie:

Not really that excited about the new stadium. Even with an opening in the roof I'm not convinced there won't be a lot of reverb. There's still a lot of overhang and remaining roof for sound to get trapped in.

I'd rather be outside enjoying the sunset, stars, and moon between corps on a beautiful August night then inside.

I agree, and I see the endzone walls in Lucas Oil-- even with windows that slide open-- as potentially contributing as much to reverb as the overhangs and remaining roof. We'll see. I'll try it out in 2009, with no commitment past that, especially if squeaking reeds get added to the mix in 2010. I have a feeling there may be a lot of people clamoring to leave it in Bloomington, though I know that won't be possible.

Yep, it’s a disaster

An annoyance? Certainly to some or many. An adjustment to make? Indeed.

But a disaster? Somehow, I think fans and corps will get through this without too many violent deaths and natural catastrophes.

But that's just me.

Shuttles might seem like a good solution but I'm not sure of the practicality of it all. Let's assume that 20K people attend and 5000 of those people remain in Indy. That's 100+ buses from venues which are, presumably, not limited to the vicinity of the stadium. And if I'm a fan, would I really want an hour commute each way? I've booked the Hilton Garden Inn in B'ton but if everything sells out, better to rent a car and be in Podunk, 30 miles away, than to stay in Indy which is 50-ish miles. Probably cheaper, too.

It would also be nice if whatever authority negotiated this deal with DCI picked up the cost of any shuttles or other contingencies that might be necessary so they might be provided free of charge. And even nicer if DCI reimburses those of us who bought the club seats, but I won't put a lot of hope on either scenario occurring.

I'll agree with everyone else: the situation sucks, particularly the lack of formal notification to DCI, but it's not as though this wasn't an entirely foreseen possibility. Thus, DON'T expect DCI to offer fans an "opt-out" from their tix. We're going to Bloomington. It may not be quite as nice as Lucas Oil Stadium, but (barring rain) it will hardly be a disaster. I expect that it will beat the Citrus Bowl, Orange Bowl, Jackson, and possibly Boston.

Hilton Garden Inn...excellent choice. Probably sold out by now. Rooms are almost gone here, but check out www.visitbloomington.com which is a good site run by the convention and visitor's bureau. The hotels on Rt. 37 are not sold out yet. The Fourwinds on Lake Monroe is a little farther but may still have rooms. Nashville's (IN) not too far. And a great little town to boot. There are some phenomenal Bed and Breakfast's such as the Grant St. Inn, etc., etc. Interesting that Madison is so well-loved as a site for drum corps. Guess it's just tradition because there are very few restaurants & hotels nearby and parking is awful. Bloomington will blow Madison away on all counts! I think it's a win-win for everyone. Corps housing will be an issue with Indiana schools starting a few days after finals, but that would've been the case in Indy, and Crown typically gets stuck about an hour from the show site anyway so this will probably be no different.

Okay, so I did get an email from DCI toady at 3:52 PM. It was exactly the type of email I called for them to give. My opinion: they could have pre-prepared this email long ago and had it ready to go so that it could have been sent on Friday, but I do give them credit for sending it as soon as they did.

One thing missing from the email is any mention of possible cost reduction for this year given that their price they charged was based on the club level seating of the new fancy-dancy Lucas Oil, but since I was out in front in saying that DCI was lacking a comunicaton response to this development, I would like to be among the first to acknowledge their actual reponse. I still say it could have been quicker and more complete, but I am pleased that the first steps have been taken.

I have said all along that the IU site will be enjoyable and I'm sure when all is said and done and August comes, we'll all be quite entertained and satisfied with the event. I believe that DCI could have handled this better, but then again, they could have done a lot worse. End of the day ... it's only 3 days (and only 1 business day) later from the third-party announcement, and other than the issue of ticket price, we have all the info we should expect at this point.

(And, quite frankly, I would guess that most of the folks who pay for the most expensive seats would probably suck it up and continue on with DCI anyway ... stupid us!!! :thumbup::guinesssmilie: )

Edited by Liam

...At least now we get to experience BOA Championships in the dome and evaluate the acoustics prior to DCI giving it a go.

The only thing is that the dome will most likely be closed since November is quite chilly in Indy. DCI will be open air (hopefully)

Okay...the news broke Friday evening. DCI sends an email to their "customers" on Monday. Sounds good to me, and exactly what I'd expect.

About any pricing change for tickets because of the change of venue...give it time. This news just broke a few days ago. Pricing changes, if they are going to happen, will take some time to work out. Geez...give them time to work on the issue! Some things can't happen overnight.

And here's a chance for some forward thinking corps to capitolize...think of the extra revenue a corps souvie stand might can make by selling seat cushions.

And here's a chance for some forward thinking corps to capitolize...think of the extra revenue a corps souvie stand might can make by selling seat cushions.

Nice ....

.... and let's think even bigger ... corps could arrange for additional shuttle transportation to and from Indy, kind of like a party bus -- for a fee, of course :thumbup:

Spartacus Express, anyone ...?

Edited by Liam