DCI Finals in Bloomington

Thank god ill get my fill at allentown, and not have to deal with the finals crowd (or those bleachers)

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank god ill get my fill at allentown, and not have to deal with the finals crowd (or those bleachers)

Yeah... because the ones in Allentown are SOOOOOO much more comfortable.

Thank God I'll be marching on the field and not having to sit in those bleachers. :thumbup:

Back in the day we marched on that field, sat in those bleachers AND ran up and down all those #### steps. And we LIKED it.

Interesting that Madison is so well-loved as a site for drum corps. Guess it's just tradition because there are very few restaurants & hotels nearby and parking is awful. Bloomington will blow Madison away on all counts! I think it's a win-win for everyone. Corps housing will be an issue with Indiana schools starting a few days after finals, but that would've been the case in Indy, and Crown typically gets stuck about an hour from the show site anyway so this will probably be no different.

Thanks for those comments. I have to agree re: Madison. I went once. Parking was a mess and behind the stands was like Main Street...very noisy and distracting. There were a few nice bars nearby, though, so on Saturday we just hung out there so we could park nearby.

I'm looking forward to Bloomington, then to Indy in '09. The way the activity is evolving, I'll withhold judgement on whether I'll attend anywhere beyond then.

Not to nit-pick, but the first year of Mid-America at Memorial Stadium was 1989. The '88 Bloomington show was still up the hill in Armstrong and "Mid-Amierca" was in St Louis. Loved the soccer stadium show. Loved Memorial even more. This has no net affect on my plans. I'm not sure where these "traffic backed up to Illinois" references come from, but I'll be driving from Terre Haute and find it unlikely that SR 46 could ever be backed up ... well ... excepting farm implements of course.

Ah, thanks for the correction!

Yeah... because the ones in Allentown are SOOOOOO much more comfortable.

Nah....just lay on the hill :thumbup:

Back in the day we marched on that field, sat in those bleachers AND ran up and down all those #### steps. And we LIKED it.

Inever did....'course, I went on last or nearly so....do the show, circle up....line up for retreat.

Edited by 84BDsop

T-shirt idea:

"I went to Indy for DCI Finals and all I got was a trip to Bloomington ..."

Another t-shirt idea:

cutters.jpg

One thing missing from the email is any mention of possible cost reduction for this year given that their price they charged was based on the club level seating of the new fancy-dancy Lucas Oil, ...

I have a "Friends of DCI" membership and bought additional "Fantastic 5" packages. I looked through all of my old e-mails and snail mails tonight, and I don't see anything here talking about a price increase based on "Club Level" seats for this year at Lucas. The difference in price is just slightly more than it was last year for the Super 3 combo, and I assumed that the increase was to cover the bump for the extra 2 shows. The finals night seats have been virtually identical in price for the past few years. I don't see why they would discount this year's tickets. It's still the same package... just in a different place. I didn't order my tickets based on the fact that it was going to be in the new place, although I did think it was pretty cool that we were going to be in there first. I love that new-stadium smell! :tongue:

Inever did....'course, I went on last or nearly so....do the show, circle up....line up for retreat.

(In best comic book guy voice) Well actually, I cannot think of too many times the home team didn't go on last in that stadium, and was usually doing the encore as well. :tongue:

Now the ol' soccer stadium (Armstrong) was another story......

I think Sara is mainly referring to the many hours of sweat and blood letting we experienced in Memorial, our practice field away from our practice field(s).