Most underrated solos

One of the hardest bari solos I've ever heard - John Bender playing the solo in "Meadowlands" 1976 Reading Buccaneers.

Absolutely...... that was a great solo. John was one helluva player.

Fran

I don't get it....you didn't dig it, that's fine....last time I checked, we were allowed to disagree. A little love here? 'Specially from someone else who wore the Maroon and Gold?

I thought he played his tail off...probably one of the best trombone players I've heard, let alone his baritone playing. We went to UMass together, and he was consistently tearing it up. So yeah, as a musician, I have a lot of respect for the guy. He wasn't just some guy who marched, he's a formally trained jazzer who has a killer track record as a jazz soloist.

Other love goes out to Barb Maroney, the gal who played "Make Our Garden Grow", he guy from Florida Wave who soloed for BD in 90, and the absolute swine who played contra with a sop mouthpiece in 27th the year they played "Niner-Two"!

I hope those picks are agreeable with you.

Youre a funny dude.silly. :worthy:

No....Barbara aged out with the 84 show. Don't know who was the 85 soloist....

Cadets 1984 opening to the exit

The Kingsmen soloist in Artistry was Steve Beard, who also played the opener solo in the 1975 Blue Devils.

Argonauts had an amazing French Horn soloist in the mid 70s - he blew my mind by playing a perfect high C on a snail (no easy task).

Bonnie Ott - great soloist, but definitely not underrated. Did I mention that she is marching in the Renegades this year?

That was our own Randy Graves on the French Horn. He later was the primary hornline instructor from 1980 through 1983. I'm his successor, and even if I say so, I wasn't half bad myself.

Not many who would remember these....

The baritone player in 27th who played the "Beginnings" trombone solo in their 1971 concert, a Chicago medley, one of very few concerts I ever liked.

Our own Don Polzo (ask Ironlips) who played many of Garfield's soprano solos from 69 to 73 or 74. Did a great job on "White Rabbit" in 1970, among many others. He was taught in the Garden State Circuit corps we both marched in by the great Bucky Swan of Skyliner solo soprano fame.

I don't get it....you didn't dig it, that's fine....last time I checked, we were allowed to disagree. A little love here? 'Specially from someone else who wore the Maroon and Gold?

I thought he played his tail off...probably one of the best trombone players I've heard, let alone his baritone playing. We went to UMass together, and he was consistently tearing it up. So yeah, as a musician, I have a lot of respect for the guy. He wasn't just some guy who marched, he's a formally trained jazzer who has a killer track record as a jazz soloist.

Other love goes out to Barb Maroney, the gal who played "Make Our Garden Grow", he guy from Florida Wave who soloed for BD in 90, and the absolute swine who played contra with a sop mouthpiece in 27th the year they played "Niner-Two"!

I hope those picks are agreeable with you.

The contra soloist was Cliff White and it was in 1980-Open Wide. He aged out that year.

We had a bari soloist in Niner Two in 81 and 82-a Mr. William Solari. I don't believe that solo was written. I think he picked it up off the album and tweaked it (with some help from the horn staff) from there.

• Like 1

Bonnie Ott - great soloist, but definitely not underrated. Did I mention that she is marching in the Renegades this year?

I hear ya, Chris. I guess it's just that her solos sound better every time I hear them. You may have just helped us decide which SoCal show to go to this summer!

Tell me she has a solo...please?

Garry in Vegas

...Bonnie Ott - great soloist, but definitely not underrated. Did I mention that she is marching in the Renegades this year?

Yeah - this is historic! Congrats to Renegades and Bonnie...

Yeah - this is historic! Congrats to Renegades and Bonnie...

Not to put any pressure on her or anything ... :smile: