Why Didn't DCI happen in CA for a second year?

Except for 2014.....hmmmm....at the new LA stadium???

As for that...I'd rather have a new team than steal someone else's...St. Louis Rams, anyone?

Los Angeles... Saints?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Los Angeles... Saints?

I was just thinking about that the other day. Largest metropolitan regions in the US w/o an NFL team? LA and San Antonio. LA gave away two and didn't seem to care. San Antonio would do a voodoo seance (sp?) to get an NFL team. And though the Alamodome wouldn't be worthy of an NFL team long-term, SA could afford something akin to Jerry World (Dallas/Arlington) or Reliant (Houston)...and who better to move into the Mission City (Alamo, after all) than...the Saints?!

San Antonio is a heckuva lot bigger than metropolitan NOLA, with a lot more money, etc. Corporations based in SA, and best of all, no Hurricanes! Nice town.

LA is getting a new stadium? Who is going to move in there? Rams? Right.

Yes, the west coast corps should take the "financial fall" because they've been taking it for decades. Only 6 out of 36 DCI Finals have took place west of the Mississippi (and KC and Dallas are just barely west of it), but the west coast corps are used to budgeting for more travel. Corps from the midwest, south, and east aren't used to budgeting for the travel out the other side of the country like the western corps are. Cavaliers and Scouts had budgeted for ONE west coast trip every four years, but that's it. It stinks for those west coast corps you're talking about who aren't going this year, but it's not like they didn't know that DCI Finals is generally at a Midwest, South, or East Coast location every year (until now, in which case it's at an Indiana location every year). They knew that that's how DCI rolls and it's how they've always rolled. Imagine if DCI had signed a big contract to have Finals in the new stadium in Glendale AZ every year instead of Indianapolis. Oh sure, the west coast corps would love that! But how many corps from east of the Mississippi would be able to come up with the budget to make the trip EVERY YEAR and still stay in the black? I can imagine very very few.

This has got to be some kind of joke. This can't be a serious post. Please tell me there aren't people that actually think like this.

West coast corps are supposed to take the financial burden every year because they always have and are used to it? While we're at it, let's keep poor people poor because they've always had no money. Let's keep homeless people hungry because they've always had no food. Let's keep third world children uneducated because they've always been that way.

Please, just please tell me that post was a joke.

If DCI is serious about always keeping their finals locations somewhere in the midwest/east (well, Indy for the next 10 years...) then perhaps they ought to stop pretending that they're an "international" organization. Perhaps Drum Corps Indianapolis would be a better name.

Edited by MagicBobert

This has got to be some kind of joke. This can't be a serious post. Please tell me there aren't people that actually think like this.

West coast corps are supposed to take the financial burden every year because they always have and are used to it? While we're at it, let's keep poor people poor because they've always had no money. Let's keep homeless people hungry because they've always had no food. Let's keep third world children uneducated because they've always been that way.

If DCI is serious about always keeping their finals locations somewhere in the midwest/east (well, Indy for the next 10 years...) then perhaps they ought to stop pretending that they're an "international" organization. Perhaps Drum Corps Indianapolis would be a better name.

Lol....im not saying its fair, but it is how it is. It would be unreasonable to expect that east coast corps could make the trip every year all the sudden after having never budgeted for it before. Now...i dont think it should be 35 years before they have finals again, but maybe some kind of compromise would be nice....

No.....thank you...but no....New orleans can have them!!

I just thought the play of the name Los Angeles (City of Angels) with a team called the Saints would make a good match. No other reasoning than that.

As far as the stadium. No pro team, no stadium. L.A. needs to lure someone over.

DCI should seriously consider this venue again for the 2020 season.

Nancy

The scary part is that it is indeed a serious post. Better to expect someone else to take the financial burden than try to figure out how to do it yourself.

If the show were on the other foot, don't you think any corps east of the Mississippi would love to stay close to home instead of having to raise and spend outrageous amounts of money?

See my earlier post. The west coast corps directors are just a phone call away for anyone who wants to learn how it's done. No....wait....that would be admitting that it's possible in the first place. Never mind. It must have been my allergy meds kicking in.

Garry (Achooo!) in Vegas

I just thought the play of the name Los Angeles (City of Angels) with a team called the Saints would make a good match. No other reasoning than that.

As far as the stadium. No pro team, no stadium. L.A. needs to lure someone over.

Nancy

Names for professional teams don't always make sense anyway, Nancy. Take for example...

LA Lakers - yeah, just a plethora of lakes in the LA area.

Utah Jazz - Oxymoron

Memphis Grizzlies - Even Lewis and Clark didn't see any Grizzly bears in Tennessee.

LA Dodgers - The "Trolley Dodgers" arrived just about the time LA was digging up all their trolley tracks.

Some others just didn't make sense in other ways. Lots of teams have moved and changed their name to something more regionally identified. But why when the Minnesota North Stars moved to Dallas did they not rename themselves the Lone Stars?

If LA gets a team I hope it's an expansion so they can give it a good SoCal name. How about the Shakers? There's already a monir league baseball team called the Quakes.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Nancy

I would cry if the saints left new orleans... I think I'd rather see the ravens leave baltimore...