The Star of Indiana Phenomenon

The Cavs, Scouts , Cadets, BAC etc. are corps who have been around a long time. Star was just a flash in the pan.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cavs, Scouts , Cadets, BAC etc. are corps who have been around a long time. Star was just a flash in the pan.

You forgot Vanguard........ :ninja:

I have to agree that the "what if" factor is the biggest reason we still talk about Star. The difference between them and say the Bridgemen, is that Star didn't fold, nor would they have if they had stayed. It was a choice, and a choice made while they were in their prime. So it's one of those things where we can't talk about their weaknesses or failures of why they're gone. It was nothing the HAD to do, it was just something they did.

Star has been gone for a LONG time. AND they were only here for a short time. Most influential? Definitely not. Can we move on now? Star was SOOOOOO 1993.
LOL!!

I really did bust out laughing when I read that. Quote of the forever, added to sig.

You forgot Vanguard........ :ninja:

If you consider the corps he mentioned, all of them are at least 19 years older than Vanguard.

Cadets - 1934

Scouts - 1938

Boston - 1940

Cavs - 1948

Vanguard - 1967

Star did have an impressive run but I would not put them down in history with the likes of SCV, BD, Cavies, Madison, or Phantom.

Star had the greatest impact on the creative direction of the activity during the time they were around, hands down. I agree with the comparisons to early '80s Cadets.

The thing that struck me in the mid '90s was that SO many people complained that Star was doing TOO MUCH dance and body movement, but within 5 years virtually everyone was incorporating dance and body into their show designs (including all those who complained in '93!)

Because they left the activity at the height of their success.

If Cadets had pulled the plug after 1987 we'd hold them in the same regard.

Star '93 was the second iteration of Garfield '85.

We are always left to wonder "what if..." concerning Star.

Had the Cadets pulled the plug in 87, they had 53 years of history to talk about. I think in Star's case it's like a comet that is there, makes a big impact and then it's gone.