It's stupid not to march...

You know, it's bothered me for a long time that people will spend hours and hours, and a couple of hundered bucks, to go audition for the corps of their dreams. Then, when they get cut, just sit out the summer instead of marching in another corps.

While I don't promote corps-hopping as a general rule, it seems to me that someone who's been cut from their dream corps would have more of a chance to make it the next year if they got more first hand experience. Especially if they shine in that other corps and get noticed by the staff of their dream corps. ("Wow, I remember that kid from auditions. He/she's gotten a lot better!")

You may not end up with your corps' score being read last on finals night. You may not even be on the field on finals night. But something tells me you probably have a better chance of achieving either one of those if you march somewhere, anywhere, than sitting on your butt all summer.

If nothing else, you'll have a blast, make a lot of new friends, and maybe get that edge you need to make the cut at your dream corps' next audition.

Now, what corps still have holes to fill?

Garry in Vegas

PS The preceding public announcement was brought to you by a guy with a bum back who would love to be marching in an all-age corps somewhere.

PSS I hate drunk drivers, especially when they're running into me!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you brother!

Whenever I hear about people say, "I can't march because of college"I got cut"I have to work"My parents said I couldn't", I always think, WTF?

Just get out there and march.

And as much as I love Senior Corps (I have marched more than five and less than ten years in the last decade), it is just not the same, sorry.

March. School and Jobs and Parents and all that other ######## will be waiting to suck the life out of you when you are done MARCHING.

And when you are 23 and too old for DCI, MARCH ALL AGE!

Did I mention my philosophy?

MARCH!!

Sorry to hear about your injury. That is the only good reason not to march. And if you can't afford to feed your kids, then that is a pretty good reason, but aside from that, well, you know.

Edited by Toby
Filter Circumvention

I didn't make the first corps I tried out for, but you best believe that I snatched up a spot that was offered.

Even though I couldn't go through the season with them.

d*** back!

I can definitely speak from experience. I signed up to audition for a top 6 corps in 2007 and chickened out of coming to the first camp...after I had sent in my audition fee. Then, I thought I had no chance of marching at all, so I never went to a camp. That summer SUCKED. I went to shows, heared scores, and watched live webfeeds in pain. This year, I went back to that corps, and have been clinging on for my life since the first camp. I still am behind the curve, but, unless something dumb happens I should be on the field at finals this year. I even went to a lower corps for a backup after the third camp just to be safe, which of course helped me out a lot at the next camp for the corps I really wanted to be in. All I gotta say is...NEVER GIVE UP.

I made BD on my first try....but I had played a soprano for the first time shortly before at the first VK auditions about a month before. Had I not made BD I would've gone VK...and still made finals.

The important thing is to march....where isn;t as important.

Garry....if En Garde goes back to a Sr, (next year, possibly) would you be willing to come out from Vegas for camps, or is that too far for you guys??

The first time I auditioned for drum corps, it was for one of those corps that would be considered a typical "dream corps" (aka Top 6). Of course, I was cut. However, I did look at another corps, and I almost went to audition for them, but my parents kept me from doing it. The fact is, we just couldn't afford it. I would have loved to have marched that summer, but we just didn't have the money for it. Of course, I went back to that corps (not the Top 6 one) the following year, and now I'm getting ready to march my very first season of drum corps with them, and I couldn't be happier with where I am right now!

PSS I hate drunk drivers, especially when they're running into me!

At least you didn't have to see them run into you, and then speed off without stopping = my Spring Break... :smile:

(And just two days after my 21st birthday to top it off!!!)

The first time I auditioned for drum corps, it was for one of those corps that would be considered a typical "dream corps" (aka Top 6). Of course, I was cut. However, I did look at another corps, and I almost went to audition for them, but my parents kept me from doing it. The fact is, we just couldn't afford it. I would have loved to have marched that summer, but we just didn't have the money for it. Of course, I went back to that corps (not the Top 6 one) the following year, and now I'm getting ready to march my very first season of drum corps with them, and I couldn't be happier with where I am right now!

I was going to audition for The Cadets in 1998 after marching Surf, but I was too scared and was going to sit the summer out, but I decided to march Crossmen instead. It was an excellent idea since it gave me what I needed to audition for Cadets in 1999. I felt bad about leaving Crossmen in 1999, but The Cadets was where I belonged. Although I was ###### at myself for not auditioning and then watching them win their 7th championship, I am glad that I didn't sit the summer out because I had the opportunity to learn more about The Cadets while we were in spring training and touring some places together. I don't really think it's stupid though. You have to think about what those people are feeling when they get cut from the place they REALLY wanted to march. It probably hurts.

Edited by 2000Cadet

I wanted so badly to march at one particular place. I would fantasize about it and imagine myself aging out of that organization. I auditioned two years in a row and made it further the second time. Needless to say, I was bummed after being cut from the second camp after having worked so hard. But then I heard that a friend was trying out for this other corps...This corps didn't make finals. But because I wanted to march, I tagged along, not really expecting too much.

Boy was I wrong.

I found my home by being cut from another, more competitively successful group. I figured I'd be one of those guys who would just use that summer as a stepping stone towards my dream. But that wasn't the case at all. So I can't agree more with the original poster. Maybe where you go isn't your dream corps. But who's to say it won't become just that after you experience it?

:)

I wanted so badly to march at one particular place. I would fantasize about it and imagine myself aging out of that organization. I auditioned two years in a row and made it further the second time. Needless to say, I was bummed after being cut from the second camp after having worked so hard. But then I heard that a friend was trying out for this other corps...This corps didn't make finals. But because I wanted to march, I tagged along, not really expecting too much.

Boy was I wrong.

I found my home by being cut from another, more competitively successful group. I figured I'd be one of those guys who would just use that summer as a stepping stone towards my dream. But that wasn't the case at all. So I can't agree more with the original poster. Maybe where you go isn't your dream corps. But who's to say it won't become just that after you experience it?

:)

Just when I thought loyalty was dead, DCI was just another business and corps members were just spoiled silver spoon mercenaries, you have restored my faith. Thank you...seems like loyalty is not dead after all.... Edited by VOReason