Who's competing in DCA prelims

Wow, this hasn't gone off topic at all. lol :)

Good drum corps is good drum corps. Clean is clean. This cannot be denied.

Entertainment is NOT entertainment. What is entertaining drum corps to many of you I guarantee is not entertaining to me...and vice versa. That's why you have corps with so many different styles.

If you're looking for "blow your face off drum corps with a wall of sound" and that's what you find entertaining...Class A ain't it for you. That's cool.

No one can assume to tell any of you what you should find entertaining (although it happens on DCP all the time :laughing: ). I just hope that every corps gets your respect, and that you're all able to recognize good, clean, aggressive drum corps regardless of the volume or the size of the corps.

In the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that".

Edited by DMCK

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regard to Class A at DCA...true enough that some corps sound a little rougher than other corps but you have to remember that due to the size of the corps they are VERY exposed. When you have 30 to 60 horns playing you can hide alot and have members even layout but when you're marching 20 horns or less each member is right in evenone's face in the stands. But with that being said look how well Govies put together a real nice sound with the members they have. A large part of that is writing the show to both match the size and the talent of the corps. Having marched Class A I know that alot of the time we get shows written that are not tailored to our size but a bigger size corps (or God forbid) even a marching band. Give each corps their props as they are out there trying to perform the best they can and give it their all. I would rather watch a corps having a rought time than no corps at all. Not everyone can be Empire or Bucs. Thank God DCA still understands this since DCI seems not to.

Top 10 new blood in recent years includes CorpsVets, Carolina Gold, Renegades,........... none of these from the NE

From the perspective of someone like myself who only has experience with DCA starting in 2004, those corps have always been around. And none of which have a title, either. (Is there any non-NE corps with an Open Class DCA title?)

in theory yes. but if you look at recent results, 95% of the time Class A corps do not outscore Open Class corps.

And the 5% in which is happened, the Open Class corps was not a finalist. Class A is 0-11 when it comes to breaking into Open Class finals, and the closest anyone has gotten was the Grennies in 2004, but they would have needed a hair more than 5 points to take down the CorpsVets.

I would rather watch a corps having a rought time than no corps at all. Not everyone can be Empire or Bucs. Thank God DCA still understands this since DCI seems not to.

Can I get an AMEN?!?

Can I get an AMEN?!?

AMEN!!

s/ Member of last place Prelims corps in 1974 (we were rebuilding)...

In effort to take this thread further off course, I offer the following thoughts.

The key for me with smaller corps, is in my appreciation of those corps who REALIZE they are a smaller corps. Effective smaller corps are those who do not attempt to be "Santa Clara Vanguard light." Small corps need to present a balanced brass line, a drill that is basic, tight, upfront, and not too spread. A music book that doesn't rely on a big soprano sound (when you only have 2 of those), etc. Further, a book that is NOT new, original material, but rather easily recognized tunes we can follow, even if the performing ensemble has a void here and there.

I have seen quite a few smaller groups ignore the above and have NO IMPACT whatsoever upon the audience. Sad, really.

Last Saturday, I had the pleasure of being "blown away" by a small drum corps, St. Rita's Brassmen. I realized I would pay for an entire night of St. Rita's Brassmens. They understood the formula that works for me.

What I'm saying is, size doesn't really matter. Hope my wife is reading!

:laughing:

not to confuse... but you guys should attend a DCUK finals as I have... Steve Vickers can back me up... most have in the twenties horn wise... don't know that any were above 65 total... (40 was probably the norm total people) but I'll tell there was some darn fine drum corps there in England...

Cincinnati Tradition has also declared for Class A. We have 23 horns, 12 guard, 8 field percussion and 6 front ensemble. We are just waiting for final evaluation to compete.

Cincinnati Tradition has also declared for Class A. We have 23 horns, 12 guard, 8 field percussion and 6 front ensemble. We are just waiting for final evaluation to compete.

That's great news..... we look forward to seeing you guys in Rochester!

Fran