Finals Tickets: $125/ea.

Look friends, it's NOT like what I face with my electricity provider (PPL). Next year, PPL will be raising its rates 40%. I can do NOTHING about that, as my local Walmart does not deal in electricity.

The market really IS controlling whatever happens with drum corps tickets. When a certain level of ticket price no longer is purchased, a lower level of ticket price will be tried the following year.

Please remember, it takes "X" amount of dollars to present a drum corps (DCI or DCA) world championship. We don't know what that amount is, but our friends at either organization do. Both organizations MUST cover that number, or why bother? If attendance is down for whatever reason, those who still do attend will be asked to pay more to make up the difference in what BOTH groups need. If that strategy does work, it will continue. If not, another strategy will be substituted.

Right now, I am opting NOT to attend either DCI or DCA championship events. I can no longer justify the expense required for the satisfaction I might gain, even though by most measures, I can surely afford it.

That's my take. I respect yours, too. Go and enjoy, or don't go and enjoy!

:blink:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, this is just all the more reason to see quarters and semis - I'm considering going down and paying for those two shows, and depending on warm-up sites - hopefully I'll be able to watch groups warm-up on finals night.

Sure, it's not quite the same - but if I can see two shows, and finals warm-ups, for about the cost of a decent seat at finals - that's very much worth it to me.

So DCA Prelims is better than DCI Open Class Finals then?

Gee Tom thought you liked Open Class :blink:

Or are we comparing the worth of a week in Bloomie vs a long weekend in Rochester? :blink:

I love Open Class....it's part of my weeklong drum corps finals celebration.

Yes, when you consider a week of drum corps (all 80+ of them) when you attend Open Class prelims, it's a huge value and you get what you pay for.

I haven't been to Rochester or any other DCA location, but its not a weeklong event. And, it's not 80+ corps.

I think the folks who cheat themselves the most are the ones who only go on Saturday night to World Finals.

My favorite events are Open Class (used to be II/III) Prelims and World Class QuarterFinals. The fun to watch corps are all out there and many are striving to make that last spot for Semis.

For me...Finals is usually the frosting after the drama of Semis. Semis always provides some kind of drama both at the World and Open Class. By the time the corps get to Finals, we may see a couple fo changes in placement, but generally, its frosting for many of the corps.

and why isn't this thread called Finals Tix/$35 a piece?

Because, I can buy Finals tickets for $35 too, or $55, or $75. Why the focus on the $125 tickets? By the way, they were $125 in Madison in 2006. So, what axe is exactly being ground here?

I'll be interested if the price goes up next year in Lucas...then we have something to talk about.

And...all this fluffer about DCA finals. Again, and I've said this before....Biggest and smallest paid attendance at DCI finals? Biggest and smallest attendance at DCA finals?

They are two completely different events with different fan bases. I don't compare attendances because frankly that would be unfair. So why compare ticket prices?

Because it's also unfair perhaps?

They are two completely different events with different fan bases. I don't compare attendances because frankly that would be unfair. So why compare ticket prices?

Well if anyone got the idea that I was trying to make close comparisions by (badly :blink: ) posting the DCA prices that was not my intent. It was intented just so people would know what was going on "the other side of the fence". Or so the "apples" would know what the "oranges" were doing. :blink:

Mostly I posted to inforn anyone who thought that DCA was still in the way cheap (ie $10-$15) range.

And if anyone thought I was saying that one group of corps is better than the other because of ticket price, the answer is HELL no....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I have no problems with the ticket prices... I just hate that they moved to Ticketmaster. Those ticket fees are crazy. If you think you are getting ripped off by paying $125 for Finals, just spend the $15 and go see all of the Open Class corps, more corps for less money.

I have no problems with the ticket prices... I just hate that they moved to Ticketmaster. Those ticket fees are crazy. If you think you are getting ripped off by paying $125 for Finals, just spend the $15 and go see all of the Open Class corps, more corps for less money.

In an earlier thread, it was stated that DCI has no say in the matter... it's up to the individual stadiums. I'm sure even DCI would rather be handling the tickets directly.

and why isn't this thread called Finals Tix/$35 a piece?

Because, I can buy Finals tickets for $35 too, or $55, or $75. Why the focus on the $125 tickets? By the way, they were $125 in Madison in 2006. So, what axe is exactly being ground here?

I'll be interested if the price goes up next year in Lucas...then we have something to talk about.

And...all this fluffer about DCA finals. Again, and I've said this before....Biggest and smallest paid attendance at DCI finals? Biggest and smallest attendance at DCA finals?

Because it's also unfair perhaps?

Because the original poster wanted to talk about the $125 seats. If you want to talk about the $35 seats, start another thread. No axe being ground, other than the OP's complaint about the cost of the seats.

I will grant you that DCI finals outdraw DCA. So? Let's say DCI attendance is double that of DCA. Is the ticket then worth twice the price?

And they aren't “completely different events with different fan bases”. I'd bet nearly all of the fans at DCI would recognize DCA as a very similar activity. DCI and DCA share common designers, teachers, writers, judges, and so on. And, if you asked the crowd at either event, you'll find many common fans.

DCA ticket prices have been brought to the discussion as another price point. If you want, we can also talk about BOA Grand Nationals. The top tickets there are $115, but that's a pretty small section. The next highest price is $65. About half the DCI price. Is comparing BOA prices to DCI prices unfair?

Edited by The Oz

Because the original poster wanted to talk about the $125 seats. If you want to talk about the $35 seats, start another thread. No axe being ground, other than the OP's complaint about the cost of the seats.

I will grant you that DCI finals outdraw DCA. So? Let's say DCI attendance is double that of DCA. Is the ticket then worth twice the price?

And they aren't “completely different events with different fan bases”. I'd bet nearly all of the fans at DCI would recognize DCA as a very similar activity. DCI and DCA share common designers, teachers, writers, judges, and so on. And, if you asked the crowd either event, you'll find many common fans.

DCA ticket prices have been brought to the discussion as another price point. If you want, we can also talk about BOA Grand Nationals. The top tickets there are $115, but that's a pretty small section. The next highest price is $65. About half the DCI price. Is comparing BOA prices to DCI prices unfair?

If we all drank one lest starbucks a week from now until Finals we'd have no problem affording $125 seats.

As I mentioned before, DCI goes where it can get great rates and those rates are negotiated for the amount of rooms DCI needs, plus the Adams Mark was a great place for the I&E contest. Believe it or not, sometimes one can get better rates at a better hotel than at a lesser one.

ok

Sponsors may well enjoy nice perks, but that doesn't mean they expect champagne and caviar.

I agree......I don't think they expect that. But I think they probably expect more than they should from a non-for profit.

I have not seen DCI just fritter away money.

Everyone fritters money away to some degree........

But I realize it might be silly to offer my opinion to someone who may have already made up their mind.

DCP is a forum where everyone shares opinions.....and honestly I have never seen you post something that criticizes DCI of making a poor judgment or wrong decision. Maybe you feel they haven't made any mistakes....but to me that seems a bit unrealistic. So, I don't expect you to agree with some of my comments. Which is ok...... :blink: no harm no foul.

Every person and organization make mistakes. With no real ties to the organization I speak as a paying customer. I point out some of the "not so good" things about the organization in hopes to educate the masses and hopefully catch the attention from someone in the DCI org. I do not do it to be mean or bitter....because I am really not like that at all

They are advertising themselves as being "The Major League" So, I treat them as such.

Their slogan....not mine

Back on topic.....sorry folks

I paid $140.00 (An additional $5.00 for processing) for the same 45 yardline seat for DCA's Alumni, Prelim and Finals show.

Edited by Triple Forte