What if I&E was mandatory?

The first thing that came to my mind when Lee started this thread was........"geez...how bored are yinz on the left coast" :cool: Lighten up folks. Until something better comes along this thread is working. :worthy:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. The best ideas come from brainstorming ... the minute you start throwing out or attacking new ideas because they initially sound absurd or ridiculous, is the minute you start killing innovation.

Maybe mandatory I&E or not allowing corps to rehearse that night so their members can participate is an idiotic idea. But then again, maybe it is exactly what DCA needs to ramp up one of the best parts of DCA weekend.

I don't know the answer ... but it is worth discussing.

I think it would be great if all DCA participants could at least watch the I&E's by having Friday evening off to relax before the big weekend. Once they watch all teh events I am sure many more would want to compete as it is a blast. I actually worked the Brass I&E's event and then perform in the mini corps event. At least last year I did and all I can say is WOW!!!

There people go again putting words in my mouth. I didn't say don't participate get penalized. I said, if you DENY the opportunity for YOUR members, get penalized. Obviously penalizing someone for something no one wanted to do in the first place is a bit obsurd. Although preventing someone from doing what they want to do is also obsurd.

see that's exactly what i mean by over-regulating. let the corps' make their own decisions. some have been doing so for 50+ years with great results. if a corps chooses to not allow their members to participate in I&E's and enough potential members make the decision to go to another corps that does allow such participation, that should be enough to prompt them to reconsider their policies. if they choose not to, that still should be their own decision to make IMO.

Similarly speaking, I think the Caballeros Managment has done a HUGE service to its marching members by taking them to see the Caballeros Alumni the day of finals at the Alumni Spectacular, I think they learn more from that show then doing one more runthrough the day of finals. Invaluable lessons learned that day. I remember the first time we did it when I was still marching, and it was the most incredible day.

I am with you on that Kay.. When I came to the corps in 02 it was a "Fun" year I was going to do a year and be done. But at the Alumni Spectacular thats when I knew I was going to be back for more. Its hard to explain but WOW the emotions that goes through you as you look at the members on the field :worthy: and the members in the stands especially when Evita was played :cool: WOW. It was a Church like moment. So yeah I am glad we have that.

So what do I think about Manditory. never thought of it because we knew it was there if we wanted to participate. (last year some drummers were going to but later they decided not to)

But maybe some how you can open it up to other alumni. How do you control that how do you know they are real alumni.. Maybe they have to be sponsored by said alumni corps. A simple letter for verification.. How about for current marching members it is free for alumni in a non marching capacity there is a fee 50 bucks or something. This way it helps pay for the venue and well those that really want to do it will put up the money..

Is the difference between 2nd and 3rd place really worth that much to the survival of your corps?

What if it's the difference between 10th and 11th?

Just sayin' ...

Although I actually I really enjoy I & E every year and not being able to go would be a huge dissapointment. Plus, I believe it encourages individual members to better themselves musically, which in the long run will benefit their corps anyway.

see that's exactly what i mean by over-regulating. let the corps' make their own decisions.

Their choice, sure. But who does it serve to NOT go to I&E. If only as spectators.

From a community POV, what if everyone was just like you. You don't go to I&E, everyone doesn't go to I&E. I&E no longer exists. Is everyone the same, no. Should everyone be the same, no. But WHAT IF everyone WAS the same? aka JUST LIKE YOU.

As far as over regulation, we're already past that fence. Well past it. 35 minimum anyone. Border violation. Trooping the stands. Over time / Under time. But then again it's some of the regulations that defines drumcorps. No woodwinds, no trombones, et cetera.

."geez...how bored are yinz on the left coast"

Heh. I wish I was bored right now ... I am soon leaving the left coast for a bit, and have yet to even begin to pack.

Anyway, I am out of here for a while, Cats. Thanks for the great discussion.

Crunchy Frog! :cool:

I think no corps should be allowed to have a policy preventing their members from participating at I&E, I also think they should attend or at least give their members the opportunity to attend (send at least 1 bus to I&E)....no official rehearsals but I guess sectionals are ok if people want to stay at their housing site and practice a little.

I would hate to see DCA go the way of DCI by taking itself too serious....

DCA finals weekend is likened to the Olympics and the Super bowl, by us drum corps nuts.

But unlike the competitors in those other sports, we have to Pay to participate!

Drum corps people, have worked tirelessly all year long to come to finals and compete the final time of the season.

Why not give these hard working corps members, a well deserved treat and give them this one night of the year off,

to observe or participate in I&E?

For crying out loud! They've had all year long to get it right. If they haven't got it down by finals weekend...LOL.

Just a thought.

How about a poll?

Don,

I am pretty sure that you have never been to the Friday night social at DCA and you should not even comment on it until you have. I am willing to bet that you would change your mind 100%.

THEY SHUT DOWN MAIN STREET IN ROCHESTER!!! It is an awesome part of DCA weekend and I look forward to it as much as prelims and finals. The mini corps competition in itself is simply amazing.

What Donny said!!!! There is nothing in drum corps today..... nothing.... that compares to the DCA I&E event.

Fran