Breaking Rank

Yeah, that's awful. I was in the military, and it wouldn't be worth breaking bearing to do that to some little kid...especially one running that fast on pavement. That could really hurt him. Really moronic.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna have to agree with you here. How is a 6-year-old kid suppose to know not to break ranks?

The HARD way.

It is not some punk hot shot tuba player's place to teach that kid any lessons, especially not a lesson involving violence.

Meh. Life's a ##### and then you die. No harm, no foul. The kid (or perhaps more importantly the parents) learned a lesson, he wasn't hurt, and it was pretty funny. You shouldn't take everything so seriously.

And when you think about it, the whole "He doesn't know any better" argument is kind of bull. I mean, yeah, he doesn't know the significance of breaking ranks, but he's old enough to know what he's doing, to know that it was probably not right to run through this group of people standing still and playing instruments. Either way, the parents should have had him under raps. At that young of an age is a little hard to decide who to blame, the parents for not raising him well or the kid for being an attention-loving rude brat. Either way I don't feel too bad for him.

Edited by TSRTS13

And the parents are where....

If they're worth anything, they're chewing the kid out for being so stupid, and then waiting until a good time to have a little discussion with the moronic tuba guy. I also can't think of a mature band leader, military or otherwise, who wouldn't have a thing or two to discuss with him.

After watching the video again...

1. The kid is not that young. He should know better by that age.

2. Right before he starts running through the ranks you can tell he kind of pauses and does a "Hmmm should I really do this or not?" mental check. So he clearly knew that what he was doing was wrong, or at the least, not the best idea.

3. I wish I had the balls to do what the sousaphone player did.

4. No one cries when streakers get decked by security guards. The kid's old enough to know what he's doing, which means he needs to take responsibility for his actions. Which in this case included a meet and greet between his face and the concrete.

I'd like to think that if the tuba guy had to do it over again, he wouldn't do that. We all do immature and stupid things from time to time...kids more often than adults, obviously. It's good the kid didn't get hurt.

I'm actually shocked that the kid got that far down the line. I don't think he should have been tripped like that, but he won't be doing anything like that again.

This was submitted on Digg earlier yesterday. While I don't agree with the tuba player tripping him, someone pointed out exactly what the kid was doing as he was running through. Kind of hard to tell, but check out his right hand in the air before he gets tripped up. Seems like he's flipping the bird?

And apparently the kid was fine since he got up and continued running immediately after.

I think I would have done what the member did (in fact, as an outside marcher in the parade block for two summers, I was forced to do such things). It is clear that the kid was simply oblivious, but that's one of those experiences that he'll take with him, and learn from. If he doesn't...well, he'll get decked again and again until he figures it out.

Really, the blame is with the parents - the kid clearly doesn't respect boundaries, and was oblivious to what was going on. I second the notion - where are the parents? The worst part is that the member, who was being flagrantly disrespected during a performance, will catch the brunt of the blame. The best part is that if this made it into the press, they would ask 'what music he was listening to' before they criticized the parents.

Edit: Watch it again, at about 13 sec in, the kid is clearly making a gesture with his right arm.

Edited by raphael18

From a risk management standpoint...I am rather upset at what the tuba player did...however...I think the kid deserved it.

Maybe the discipline he learned (somewhat painfully) will do him some good next time around. And maybe his parents will be prompted to do a better job too.

a funny little clip