Best show ever?

'03 Phantom wasn't even the best 4th place show of all time, let alone best show of all time.

The correct answer is 2002 Cavaliers

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1989 SCV

No one will ever top that show

Actually, I thought they topped themselves with their original version of that show in '88. I very much preferred that interpretation to the following year's. Just my opinion, though.

Phantom 1978. Brilliant score choices, brilliant charts, one of the greatest mallet features ever (maybe THE best), and a great drill and phenomenal guard work. The show I prefer to listen to above all others.

ALSO (ha ha): Garfield. Despite what seemingly everyone else thinks, this show is the true mold-breaker more than 84. Harder, more obscure and better played, and the drill is exponentially more attractive and interesting. The show I prefer to watch more than any other.

Thanks to the tube that may or may not be yours, Muchachos 75 is now the greatest show I've never seen.

Cadets 2000

I think that ushered us into the new millennium of show designs. The last of the 90's era shows were over at that point. Cadets brought entertainment back to the field and yes even some gimmicky trickeration was quite appealing to me. Who knows....without this show, perhaps we would've never seen a "fight club", "sit and spin", "door", "horse race", or "robots" on the field in later years.

.....Star '93?......

Actually, I thought they topped themselves with their original version of that show in '88. I very much preferred that interpretation to the following year's. Just my opinion, though.

I agree Sue. I felt the 89 show was just a bit much over done in some areas for some reason. I'm not saying I don't like that show, but the 88 one for me captures alot of areas, intensity, entertainment, perfection in the drill (unfortunately the camera work doesn't catch alot of the great drill moves of that show), music, color guard etc...I always felt 89 Phantom should've won, and the 88 SCV show should've won but I guess that's another topic right? :whip:

Edited by Lancerlady

The correct answer is 2002 Cavaliers

You know, that's not my favorite show and not even my favorite Cavaliers show but I remember going to their camp in DeKalb right after move in. I heard the corps play a run through and said to myself "oh my god, they're going to win". I've never heard a hornline sound so mature and professional that early. They really did have the whole package that year and I never predicted a win before or since that time. It just seemed so obvious that they wouldn't be touched.

Aragonne Rebels of the 72 / 73 ? era

What a look, what a sound.

You know, that's not my favorite show and not even my favorite Cavaliers show but I remember going to their camp in DeKalb right after move in. I heard the corps play a run through and said to myself "oh my god, they're going to win". I've never heard a hornline sound so mature and professional that early. They really did have the whole package that year and I never predicted a win before or since that time. It just seemed so obvious that they wouldn't be touched.

I think of this corps and I think of my first ever show in DCI.

Racine, WI. It was a drizzling dark evening. Butterflies in everyone's stomach, all pumped and ready to go perform our show. Then we stop dead in our tracks as we are walking past the Cavaliers in hornarc warmup. At that point in time, the rain suddenly stopped. Even on that first night, I was astounded at what I was hearing. The mature sound was unlike anything I have ever heard. Then we start moving again and it continues to rain... :whip:

Phantom 1978. Brilliant score choices, brilliant charts, one of the greatest mallet features ever (maybe THE best), and a great drill and phenomenal guard work. The show I prefer to listen to above all others.

ALSO (ha ha): Garfield. Despite what seemingly everyone else thinks, this show is the true mold-breaker more than 84. Harder, more obscure and better played, and the drill is exponentially more attractive and interesting. The show I prefer to watch more than any other.

Thanks to the tube that may or may not be yours, Muchachos 75 is now the greatest show I've never seen.

True. But, as awesome as they were in '78, I thought they were even better in '79.

True. But, as awesome as they were in '78, I thought they were even better in '79.

They were cleaner, I think, yes. But the show, as much as I love it, doesn't equal 78.

Heck fire, NOTHING tops the Stravinsky medley...