Playing multiple instruments

Awhile back, I remember reading about someone who had played a woodwind(tenor sax I believe) and had learned to play mellophone so they could do corps. So do you think playing multiple instruments is valuable to a corps member, or do you think they are better off if they have always played the closest equivolent band instrument? It is obvious that alot of people play instruments other than their corps instrument, as the solo and ensemble has catagories for non corps instruments.

Do you yourself play multiple instruments, and do you think that has really helped, or hindered your progress in corps?

Awhile back, I remember reading about someone who had played a woodwind(tenor sax I believe) and had learned to play mellophone so they could do corps. So do you think playing multiple instruments is valuable to a corps member, or do you think they are better off if they have always played the closest equivolent band instrument? It is obvious that alot of people play instruments other than their corps instrument, as the solo and ensemble has catagories for non corps instruments.

Do you yourself play multiple instruments, and do you think that has really helped, or hindered your progress in corps?

In the 6th grade I played tenor sax, and around December of 2006 I picked up the euphonium. Now, finishing up my sophomore year of high school, and after LOTS of practice, I am about to head off to spring training with a top 6 corps. I haven't played tenor sax since about Jan. of 2007 and have been fully concentrating on euphonium since then. I think if I attempted to practice both at the same time I would not be marching in such a short time from just picking up euph.

Hopefully that answers your question. :laughing:

Well, as far as a musician, the more you know about music the better.

That said, I played clarinet from sixth grade through my freshman year of college, and was one of the better players in the state. I also taught myself tenor and soprano sax and had a lot of fun in jazz band in high school and even marched one year of tenor in college.

That first year of college I got a hold of a trumpet (bought) and a baritone (school's) and taught myself the latter. Then I marched.

Long story short, one of the biggest regrets in my life is not picking up the baritone and/or the trumpet from day one.

Not sure if that answers your question, but it's how I feel.

I've played Bassoon since 6th grade, and picked up Mello my freshman year in HS. I'm a soon-to-be graduate from HS now, and I do find it difficult to switch from one playing position to another. Two different ombasures...they kinda mix together sometimes when I dont think about it, so I end up sorta sucking my lips in to play the higher notes...

6 camps in, and they're already on my back for it :laughing:

Other than that though, it's good to know I can read both clefs. It'll help out in the long run for college if nothing else.

I played tenor and bari sax all through high school, and marched snare in corps. Bottom line is that if you are a woodwind player you better become profficient at another instrument if you want to march corps. At least for the time being........

Playing another instrument actually helped me in corps. Being a woodwind player, I already had quick fingers required for the mellophone. In addition, I knew to use a decent amount of air. In regards to embouchure, it did not hinder me at all. In fact, it's the mellophone embouchure that messes up my primary. Takes a day or two to get back in shape.

I started in 5th grade as a trumpet player, switched to euphonium my freshman year of high school, and to tuba my sophomore year. (all the while still playing trumpet in jazz bands/pep bands) I also learned trombone and horn and have played all of these instruments in college bands. This summer I will be marching euphonium with a World Class corps.

I started playing alto saxophone in 7th grade. I hadn't intended on signing up for band, but the director convinced me and said I could play the instrument of my choice. I didn't know what to choose. My mom said saxophone and I went with it. I ended up playing saxophone all through HS and for a few years into college. I became a big fan of drum corps starting in my sophomore year (98-99) of HS, enough to the point where by the time I went off to college I'd decided to march brass in college marching band.

I ended up marching mellophone at two different universities for six seasons (kinda took my sweet time in college..finally getting out this summer). I played french horn in two concert ensembles during the same semester, spent two semesters as a saxophone major, and marched baritone for three years (03-05) in a championship corps. During my age-out, I competed with my saxophone in the first DCI I&E contest in which woodwinds were allowed, besting one other saxophone major who happened to march in my corps as well.

I began my marching career in '97 with a Texas 4A State Marching Title and ended it last fall by teaching my alma mater, who again claimed the 4A State title. I've had quite an experience in this crazy marching idiom, but I am done for sure now.

Having the woodwind experience made the technical part of brass playing pretty easy, but other than that, I don't think it really helped or hurt me either way.

I missed my neck strap during victory concerts, though.

That first year of college I got a hold of a trumpet (bought) and a baritone (school's) and taught myself the latter. Then I marched.

Long story short, one of the biggest regrets in my life is not picking up the baritone and/or the trumpet from day one.

I did the same thing, started playing clarinet in 5th grade. Got pretty good as well, but never really loved the instrument. Then I picked up a baritone for the first time, and literally fell in love. My biggest regret is having not picked low brass from day one.

It's not necessary, with enough discipline anyone can work up to a pretty good level relatively rapidly (playing daily, and marching div 2/3 doesn't hurt), but it sure doesn't hurt to start on the primary instrument.