• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it can. :)

Thats right tell em, LOL :laughing:

Yes, everything on Wikipedia is true.

BS !

My daughter tried looking something up on Wiki a few months ago. Somebody had just posted that one of the kids from the Naked Brothers Band had been shot in a drive-by. I did some quick research via some L.A. area tv and newspaper websites but to no avail. Later that evening, the offending info had been purged. I think Hrothgar has a stake in Wiki ! A few weeks ago, I posted some negative comment about wiki, and he dang near went appoplectic ! Trust wikipedia with a grain of salt. Do not use it as a primary source of research !

Yeah...no, it's not the same. Wikipedia provides crazy little things called footnotes at the bottom of the page.

And of course the secondary reference is always correct.... :sigh:

I venture if DCP would be very quiet if we were required to post a link to a site supporting what we say.

Depends... can I link to what I said earlier on DCP.... :tongue: or RAMD... :sigh:

Wiki... good for quick "What the Heck is this" references but as far as serious research. :laughing:

OK time for a true story... Few years ago I came across the name of a corps in my area that I found in three difference places and no where else. Long story short, place #3 got the name from place #2, Place #2 got it from place #1 and....... Place #1 got it from a scoresheet that either had a typo or crappy handwriting. (Finally found a source that had the correct name.) Hades, I could list the wrong name in Wiki and quote three sources (that all had it wrong).

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I use the Wiki frequently but there are some things there that are stretched, or even downright untrue.

Wikipedia Celebrates 750 Years of American Independence

A classic from The Onion.

Includes the quote, "The exhaustive entry also includes links to video clips of the First Thanksgiving, hosted by YouTube."

-Phantom Regiment 2008- SPARTACUS

* Various selections from “Spartacus” by Aram Khachaturian

* Ein Heldenleben by Richard Strauss

* Battlefield from “KA” (Cirque Du Soleil) by Rene Dupere

* Dance of Ecstasy from “Danses Fantastiques” by Loris Tjeknavorian

* Toccata from “Piano Concert No. 1” by Alberto Ginastera

You can find this info at Regiment.org

Plick-Plock :laughing:

[quote name='Old School Contra Guy' post='2240253' date='May 28 2008, 09:10 AM'

I think Hrothgar has a stake in Wiki ! A few weeks ago, I posted some negative comment about wiki, and he dang near went appoplectic ! Trust wikipedia with a grain of salt. Do not use it as a primary source of research !

I, too, was subjected to the wrath of Hrothgar when I mentioned that I will not allow my students to use Wikipedia as a primary reference.

Edited by ChicagoFan

Calling Wikipedia "Wiki" is like calling an iPod or any other mp3 player an "MP3".

Wikipedia is a wiki, but it's not "Wiki".

Say what you want about its validity, but it is probably the single largest collection of information that has ever been amassed in human history. If the English-language version of Wikipedia were to be published in hard copy, it would encompass roughly 780 volumes. Stored digitally (without images, just text), Wikipedia takes up roughly 4.4 gigabytes of space, which can be stored on a solid-state drive that is smaller than a penny.

Think about that. This is just the beginning.

Edited by Jayzer