The DCI.org Fan Network Discussion Thread

Yeah, I was going to ask that, too - I'm guessing they might have had technical difficulties at the end of the show, maybe?

Mike

The BD show's audio was cut for the last 2 minutes of their show and for the last 25 seconds of the concert. A notice was on the site that read "Tonight during the Blue Devils performance, a portion of their audio will be muted on the live stream due to an unresolved music licensing issue". I'm sure a lot of people were upset.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say they did that deliberately because they are holding out on posting the full show come Stanford. Oh cliffhangers!

The BD show's audio was cut for the last 2 minutes of their show and for the last 25 seconds of the concert. A notice was on the site that read "Tonight during the Blue Devils performance, a portion of their audio will be muted on the live stream due to an unresolved music licensing issue". I'm sure a lot of people were upset.

I just watched some recent fan network additions and as a subscriber I want to give my take on the quality (or lack of) about the videos. It may sound harsh but come on! This is drum corps, not high school.

Blue Knights - do a great job in their video releases. It looks like they got a video guy who has done this for a while (not BlueView level but good coverage)

Bluecoats - is pretty bad all around. What's with this live minute? it's not live and not a minute. Their last video made me want to hurl because of the wacky camera zooms. very amateur.

Crown - Crown Minute just sucks (it was never worth watching) I’ve seen Youtube videos look better

Mandarins - I love this corps and I can appreciate their efforts. Although they produce a very amateur podcast, I appreciate them trying and keep us up to date. (BlueView should take note since they seem to update sporadically)

Glassmen - Not bad but still pretty low tech. Interview's with members with the on-camera mic makes it hard to hear. You would think with that "look-at-me" title opening the video person would do a decent job.

Phantom - not many updates but their Phantom Pheature's are fun to watch. Well edited and shows what you can do when you give the members a camera. Could use more of these though.

SCV - best overall except not many updates. I would say these guys are better than BlueView

DCI - why aren't you using Tom Blair to do your feature videos? These are ok but it looks like your using interns again. I guess money is tight.

DCI - On Demand - Great coverage overall. Madison sucked a little because the camera was zoomed way out and you couldn't see anything. The resolution is pretty lame. I know there are some decent flash players out there that give a better picture, maybe next year.

Fan Network - Good overall but where's the downloadable videos so I can play it on my Apple TV?

Please add your thoughts>>>>

<Edited for grammer>

Edited by GoFanGo

LAME.

Can't you just enjoy the fact that the content is there in the first place? If you don't like it, contact them and get a refund, I'm sure they will be devastated.

As far as your negativity about corps videos... get a life! That should be the last thing they are worried about at this time. Everyone wants to come down on the corps about the quality of shows this year, but at the same time you want them to also produce high quality videos? Where's that money come from? The fact that any corps has a camera and personnel to produce their material at all is huge.

This place is getting so ridiculous with all the negativity towards DCI. Nothing they do is ever good enough. You want changes? Do something about it. Donate your time and money to pay for these studio quality videos you expect from a non profit organization. DCI is flying around 30 people to Orlando ALONE this weekend, at (at least) $200 a ticket. The fact that they put can any effort and resources into the fan network is remarkable.

Edited by rcawth

LAME.

Can't you just enjoy the fact that the content is there in the first place?

I know it sounds like I'm a bit too critical but IMO I think that drum corps today need to go back to public relations 101. Drum corps has always been a wonder and mystery to the general public. ANYONE can make a cake but when it doesn't look good and tastes horrible then I am really turned off.

As supporters of the activity I think we should all demand that corps do their best to present the activity in it's best light. I'm not saying that they need to spend a lot of money hiring Hollywood pros but there is a lot of "new media" talent out there and anyone who wants to travel with the corps to make their videos should audition for the job or at least know what their doing.

It's like going to a performance and watching performers miss their step off or drop every toss because they didn't DO ANY practice or get good instruction.

Edited by GoFanGo

LAME.

Everyone wants to come down on the corps about the quality of shows this year, but at the same time you want them to also produce high quality videos?

Also>>> I am one of the many who thinks that this year's shows are awsome! More reason to represent the corps in a better light.

It's not like they individual corps get paid to put videos up. Way to show your appreciation for the efforts that have been put forth. It's not like this is the first year they are trying this or anything...

You freaking struggle dude.

The entire DCI finals library, the On-demand videos, the live web-casts, and the discounted APDs more than justify the price asked for the fan-network. But in addition to the already great deal, people are going out of their way to provide insights for the fans. WHAT THANKS DO THEY GET? Some jerk saying things like

"Crown Minute just sucks (it was never worth watching) I’ve seen Youtube videos look better"
Way to go.

I appreciate the effort these corps are putting forth. My $69 subscription fills the tank for just one crew for a day or two. Your $69 buys another crew's meals for a day. It's not like they're getting rich out there. I'm very happy with the product they're producing. Keep it up and know you have fans who support you!

Edited by 2CoolVK

I just watched some recent fan network additions and as a subscriber I want to give my take on the quality (or lack of) about the videos. It may sound harsh but come on! This is drum corps, not high school.

Blue Knights - do a great job in their video releases. It looks like they got a video guy who has done this for a while (not BlueView level but good coverage)

Bluecoats - is pretty bad all around. What's with this live minute? it's not live and not a minute. Their last video made me want to hurl because of the wacky camera zooms. very amateur.

Crown - Crown Minute just sucks (it was never worth watching) I’ve seen Youtube videos look better

Mandarins - I love this corps and I can appreciate their efforts. Although they produce a very amateur podcast, I appreciate them trying and keep us up to date. (BlueView should take noted since they seem to update sporadically)

Glassmen - Not bad but still pretty low tech. Interview's with members with the on-camera mic makes it hard to hear. You would think with that "look-at-me" title opening the video person would do a decent job.

Phantom - not many updates but their Phantom Pheature's are fun to watch. Well edited and shows what you can do when you give the members a camera. Could use more of these though.

SCV - best overall except not many updates. I would say these guys are better than BlueView

DCI - why aren't you using Tom Blair to do your feature videos? These are ok but it looks like your using interns again. I guess money is tight.

DCI - On Demand - Great coverage overall. Madison sucked a little because the camera was zoomed way out and you couldn't see anything. The resolution is pretty lame. I know there are some decent flash players out there that give a better picture, maybe next year.

Fan Network - Good overall but where's the downloadable videos so I can play it on my Apple TV?

Please add your thoughts>>>>

premadonna.jpg

Dude! I just finished eating my dinner. You made me throw up in my mouth a little!