The DCI.org Fan Network Discussion Thread

I, too, would enjoy access to at least a portion of finals week, both World and Open class. The retreat portion as well. The streaming video of semi finals live, sponsored by Gilroy, was terrific. It had both high and multicam to choose from. It worked fine with few breaks or glitches.

That said, the important fact is it was sponsored, and I assume the bandwidth necessary to do it was provided by others, and not DCI. Since it seems almost certain that the hits, particularly around the time the top 6 are to appear, could be equal to an entire Lukoil Stadium attending remotely, or more, the bandwidth required must be enormous. If it is not huge, then those who were on line from the first corps would experience a world class crash.

I do not know how many folks subscribe to FN. I did not notice any mention of the FN semifinal event on DCP (which as we all know crashed with very few pics OR text), or anywhere else except the Fan Network screen. If access is controlled to provided bandwidth, even with pay per view over FN subscription, it could prove to be a disaster.

Anyone can talk themselves out of anything. Some serious 'can do" thinking by DCI could make all the difference.

Just my 2 cents :worthy:

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wrote DCI this email....

"I know you have been getting tons of emails about this, but I was pretty disappointed with the Fan Network coverage of this past week. We got next to nothing for the most important week of the season. I was unable to attend the theater event, had to go out of town for semis, and was forced to watch all the servers around the drum corps community come crashing down after Phantom last night. It took quite a while before I read any account of what went down. In an age of connectivity, this was a total failure. There wasn't even a live Boo Blog! And without the PBS or ESPN broadcast, we're left out of the moment for literally months. That's unacceptable. Can we please at least get semis on the fan network as a replay... I mean, sure you guys *think* you're protecting your revenue, but that's probably not a reality. I hate to say this, but I got better coverage of last night from youtube, as illegal as that is. Just my $.02"

I suggest you do the same. :worthy:

Edited by SCVsopAaron

For consitency, I would think that 2008 Finals would eventually be posted on the Fan Network.

Yes, as all finals through 2007 are now. However, the issue of "live' rather than later seems important to many.

Would be nice :worthy:

As I said in another thread, like the 2007 finals VPD's, I'd expect that the 2008 finals VPD's won't be availbale to view until SEP of next year. I do feel they should be posting '08 semis and finals retreat, though.

Yes, as all finals through 2007 are now. However, the issue of "live' rather than later seems important to many.

Would be nice :worthy:

Actually, the '07 VPD's aren't availble yet.

Seriously? That doesn't bode well for stingy fans like me who want to see the finals shows without buying the DVD

And that's exactly why they wait so long to post them.

The fan network was great all season long. But the final weak was very poor. I work at night so i got to see none of the final shows. All season long DCI posted the videos after it was streamed but finals week, nothing. :worthy: Color me not happy. Rick

Seriously? That doesn't bode well for stingy fans like me who want to see the finals shows without buying the DVD

From what I understand, they'll ('07 Finals) be available next month.

Edited by skajerk