The DCI.org Fan Network Discussion Thread

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but Crown deserves so much more. The videos they put out really do suck and I bet most will agree. I'm not out to bruise anyone or complain. I am happy with my subscription.

I only think Corps and fans should demand more!

First off: Why to the videos "suck"? Are they too short? Too long? Not high enough quality?

Do you realize the time it takes to shoot a high res video, edit the footage, compress it down to Flash and then get it uploaded to FN? It's not the same as shooting something on your Canon and popping a mini SD card into your desktop and uploading it to youtube. We're talking about HOURS upon HOURS of shooting, editing, compressing and uploading... all while trying to keep up with a corps whose show is constantly changing and improving. (not to mention that the segments must go through some kind of approval process before being released to the masses). Also, other than the Clifton show (which was a BONUS if I remember correctly) I feel that the show recordings are of a higher quality than the past two years. There's much less motion blur and the

Secondly, why does crown deserve "so much more?" Would you like them to receive a merit badge or something?

They are in charge of the content that's released from their organization and does a great job providing way more content than almost all the other organizations (except perhaps BD).

Frankly, if you were suckered in to paying 1/3 MORE last year for 1/4 the content and now you are asking for even MORE content of a higher quality, then

you need to get your Consumer Awareness meter re-calibrated. What DCI has managed to pull off w/ a limited budget and wide variety of staffing challenges is quite remarkable in my book. :tongue:

edited for typo

Edited by highpitch_83

They are in charge of the content that's released from their organization and does a great job ...

You make a great point here ...

Each corps is responsible for the content that's put up on DCIFN (except for the major streaming stuff DCI pays for).

If you want more, or have any comments about current DCIFN, you should contact the individual corps director with your concerns. That's the only way they are probably going to find out fans reactions. I know that BD keeps on top of DCP & fans issues, but other directors might be busy on tour / running their corps to keep up.

Constructive communication is key to providing effective feedback!

First off: Why to the videos "suck"? Are they too short? Too long? Not high enough quality?

Secondly, why does crown deserve "so much more?" Would you like them to receive a merit badge or something?

They are in charge of the content that's released from their organization and does a great job providing way more content than almost all the other organizations (except perhaps BD).

you need to get your Consumer Awareness meter re-calibrated. What DCI has managed to pull off w/ a limited budget and wide variety of staffing challenges is quite remarkable in my book. :tongue:

edited for typo

First - Crown was one of my favorite shows last year.

Second - Their videos are very much made by an intern who is getting college credit for the work>>> that's what I read before. Because of this they get caught in a "look what I can do" mentality and think they are doing a great job by posting a whole bunch of videos. The opening credits make me laugh and cringe every time. I'm only pointing out what everyone has mentioned before

Third - When you have videos like Blue View, SCV Behind the Star, and Blue Knights setting the bar then one would think who ever is in charge of the videos would try to do a better job. Case in point>>> Bluecoats last Live Minute video was awful and made me sick because someone got crazy with the camera zoom.

It makes me sad for these great corps because it looks like their video guys are just goofing around and not trying.

I still choose to hold them up to a higher standard...!

Lastly>>> I do love Fan Network!

Edited by GoFanGo

First- Maybe they don't have the money to do it

Second- Maybe they don't have the people within the corps like these other groups do that can do it.

Third- Why not either e-mail the corps you are so disappointed with your complaints yourself or cut them some slack and just enjoy the fact that they're able to put out something period?

Edited by skajerk

First - Crown was one of my favorite shows last year.

Second - Their videos are very much made by an intern who is getting college credit for the work>>> that's what I read before. Because of this they get caught in a "look what I can do" mentality and think they are doing a great job by posting a whole bunch of videos. The opening credits make me laugh and cringe every time. I'm only pointing out what everyone has mentioned before

Third - When you have videos like Blue View, SCV Behind the Star, and Blue Knights setting the bar then one would think who ever is in charge of the videos would try to do a better job. Case in point>>> Bluecoats last Live Minute video was awful and made me sick because someone got crazy with the camera zoom.

It makes me sad for these great corps because it looks like their video guys are just goofing around and not trying.

I still choose to hold them up to a higher standard...!

Lastly>>> I do love Fan Network!

So it's not the first time I have read too much into some posts this week, but can you explain to me what about your "Golden Three" is setting them above the rest? BD posts quite a bit of content, but mostly they are the member cams, and it feels like the amount of quality BlueViews is lower than in the past. Also, to me at least, I would generally say the same about SCV. Both of those corps are RawTV productions. (correct me if I am wrong John)

I think it's ok. It looks like an intern did the video. Very shakey and silly fast speed effects. You can always tell when a novice is behind the camera, they never use a tripod and the like to zoom in and out.

"Look what I can do!"

That was your response regarding the DCI video from the Normal, IL show, but those were actually the exact sentiments that ran through my head as I watched the Blue Knights Memorial Day camp video. After that particular posting on the BK FanNetwork, we didn't see another one for nearly a month, unless you count the promo 30 second spot that was put together from the DCI broadcst intro from last years Espn2 showing, and I have been able to see that on the front page of their web site for the last 6 months. Ignoring the 6 (as of now) audio podcasts since you are focusing on video production, they follow that up with a recap of the Pueblo Spring Training on the 30th of June, a quick "Meet the Knights" on July 4th, and a trip to the gas station for what is essentially a commercial for the fuel fund.

A lot of your past postings for this summer regard the FanNetwork, so I am just wondering about your focus on this particular aspect of the season. Disgruntled Crown fan? Aspiring videographer? Perhaps someone with a few spare licenses for VisualHub and Adobe Premier Elements and some spare CPU cycles to burn? Inquiring minds want to know. :thumbup:

So it's not the first time I have read too much into some posts this week, but can you explain to me what about your "Golden Three" is setting them above the rest? BD posts quite a bit of content, but mostly they are the member cams, and it feels like the amount of quality BlueViews is lower than in the past. Also, to me at least, I would generally say the same about SCV. Both of those corps are RawTV productions. (correct me if I am wrong John)

A lot of your past postings for this summer regard the FanNetwork, so I am just wondering about your focus on this particular aspect of the season. Disgruntled Crown fan? Aspiring videographer? Perhaps someone with a few spare licenses for VisualHub and Adobe Premier Elements and some spare CPU cycles to burn? Inquiring minds want to know. :thumbup:

Actually I forgot to add Madison Scouts, they put up some pretty decent stuff. So does Cavies. You're right about Blue View <<<I think it is john christianson>>> they haven't been up to the standard as when they first started making them. Still, they do a good amount of quality coverage and IMO represent their corps very nicely<<<sans the ads they throw at us, but I guess it helps pay for the program>>>

I'm not out for Crown; I love them and only wish they do a better job, that's all. I'm in SoCal and know a lot about PR and media<<<Health Non-profit>>>. I said in earlier postings that to differentiate corps from looking too much like marching bands, the videos need to DO the same and try not to look so "Bando".

I will admit that I may be placing too high of a standard to some of these guys who do their best to bring us media. However, when they do a flashy production ID bumper at the beginning of their videos then they better be ready to be scrutinized. If it's a member-cam and is shaky all the time, then no problem! But if it's a 3 to 4 minute news feature then at least do it right.

I forgot to add that your right about Blue Knights Memorial Day Camp video. It was pretty amateur and they could post more content.

Edited by GoFanGo

However, when they do a flashy production ID bumper at the beginning of their videos then they better be ready to be scrutinized. If it's a member-cam and is shaky all the time, then no problem! But if it's a 3 to 4 minute news feature then at least do it right.

I forgot to add that your right about Blue Knights Memorial Day Camp video. It was pretty amateur and they could post more content.

So in other words, two things have to happen here...one, if it's not studio quality drop the bumper, and if it's not shot on a tripod, there must be this disclaimer:

WARNING: This contains multiple zooms and the camera is being held by an over caffeinated video guy. Do not watch this video if you are prone to motion sickness. You will throw up.

:tongue:

In reality this is a good discussion! Can't say that I've been offended by any content that's been up. Some is low tech, some have more digital effects...but in the end the story gets across. I'd rather see less "filler" and more "behind the scenes"...talk to the members, staff, etc! I like to figure out what's going on in their heads...if that's even possible. I'm sure that if there are any video guys out there who are doing this for the corps, they're handling negative and positive comments on here the same way they handle the critique of any non-DCI work.

Oh yeah, I'll bet some (most) corps are spending their money on filling up their busses verses paying a ritzy video guy...and if that's what they've gotta do to make sure the KIDS in the corps are getting down the road and having a great experience, more power to 'em....I've got hundreds of shows I still have to watch with my subscription :thumbup:

Bottom line: GO DRUMCORPS!

I'd rather see less "filler" and more "behind the scenes"...talk to the members, staff, etc! I like to figure out what's going on in their heads...if that's even possible.

Good comment. I agree, I would rather have somthing than nothing. I don't think it's cost issue, in fact I think most corps can tap into a better talent pool if they just try. Is it that hard for them to follow some guidlines? like compare your work with others and consider the basics of media communitcation. there are tons of recources out there.

Here is my last comment and I'm going to leave it alone for awhile. I have no problem with the way some videos look because it's there first try but what gets me the most is when they don't improve and it looks the same over and over. Drum Corps is about perfection. It's not like we don't know how to clean and make it better.

enough said.

I know folks hate it when I criticize and I will do this in the most supportive way I know>>>

Anyone noticed Bluecoats podcast? I think they forgot to add some audio. I guess I’ll have to learn how to lip read.

I know…I’m awful to point this out but doesn’t anyone care? I would like to hear what they have to say and enjoy the podcast>>> wouldn’t you? ok, I also think the “eye of the tiger” sound track is lame.

On some good comments>>> SCV has a new cool video out (very nicely done I might add). The latest stuff from Cadets is top notch (good job!).