The DCI.org Fan Network Discussion Thread

I have had the extreme fortune of talking with someone from DCI today who shed a whole bunch of light on the online stuff. Everyone at DCI really really really wants to post more video. Heck, the guy that runs the online video is a Regiment alumn, if it was up to him, their entire season would be online. But the are issues with the contract with ESPN that does not allow them to do it. They have been fighting with ESPN for months, and as late as the past few weeks, trying to reach an agreement, but in the end, it just wasn't meant to be (He assures me that there were even higher-ups inside ESPN that were trying to help us). He promises they are working on stuff to post in the next couple of days/weeks. But as for anyhting that happened in the stadium, including retreat, scores, etc, ESPN owns the rights to it all.

If you want to complain, talk to the Disney lawyers.

Hmmm . . .

I had actually thought that the ESPN deal was over with.

Is there a date for a telecast?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm . . .

I had actually thought that the ESPN deal was over with.

Is there a date for a telecast?

They're not doing it this year.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=9...95-fc05eed6d41e

Edited by cmathis

They're not doing it this year.

So is there someone who can explain how or why Disney has their hands in this?

I just wrote DCI this email....

"I know you have been getting tons of emails about this, but I was pretty disappointed with the Fan Network coverage of this past week. We got next to nothing for the most important week of the season. I was unable to attend the theater event, had to go out of town for semis, and was forced to watch all the servers around the drum corps community come crashing down after Phantom last night. It took quite a while before I read any account of what went down. In an age of connectivity, this was a total failure. There wasn't even a live Boo Blog! And without the PBS or ESPN broadcast, we're left out of the moment for literally months. That's unacceptable. Can we please at least get semis on the fan network as a replay... I mean, sure you guys *think* you're protecting your revenue, but that's probably not a reality. I hate to say this, but I got better coverage of last night from youtube, as illegal as that is. Just my $.02"

I suggest you do the same. :worthy:

nice, well-put.

But if they have the rights to it then why aren't they planning on televising it????

DCI picked up most of the cost of this. It is not a profitable event for ESPN.

I guess that DCI signed a contract with a term of some sort, I would guess five years. So, they are probably barred from any other sorts of showing of any of the video. Unless there is some other sort of explanation forthcoming, this is probably a good story to go with.

Paging Dr. Rudnicki.... Dr. Lee Rudnicki...

DCI picked up most of the cost of this. It is not a profitable event for ESPN.

I guess that DCI signed a contract with a term of some sort, I would guess five years. So, they are probably barred from any other sorts of showing of any of the video. Unless there is some other sort of explanation forthcoming, this is probably a good story to go with.

Okay, thank you!

I'm hoping DCI realizes that their profits won't increase much and they go back to broadcasting it...

Yes...

DCI signed a three year agreement with ESPN, in return, handing the rights for Championships to ESPN for those three years. As part of the agrrement DCI was given permission for the Theatercast and the Semi-finals webcast for all three years, but all other forms of broadcast or republication belong to ESPN. Without ESPN's consent, DCI was is not allowed to broadcast anything from finals, and this includes performances, score announcements, etc.

2008 is the final year of the contract. When DCI decided not to broadcast due to financial reason's, they also left no room to do anything online, or on any other platforms. ESPN owns the show, the rights to the championships, and the lawyers and business types at Disney don't want to give it up.

There is probably a lot more behind the scenes stuff that we don't know about (both with DCI and ESPN) that played into this. But I do know that DCI fought like crazy to get something worked out, and according to the person I spoke with, there were people at ESPN that understand the organizations financial issues and were trying to help us out, down to the very last minute. It was close to happening, but didn't quite get done, bit not because no one tried.

I don't want to say anymore, because i really wasn't involved. I think DCI will more than likely address this very soon.

Hope this helps...

**I need to put a disclaimer here, I'm an employee of the Walt Disney Co., but did not have any part in this, nor do I know of or have any contact with any party's involved in this matter**

Edited by Newseditor44

Yes...

DCI signed a three year agreement with ESPN, in return, handing the rights for Championships to ESPN for those three years.

They broadcast the thing for three years already. Do you think they have a one year deal and then re-upped for three, or could it have been more than three years to start with?