The DCI.org Fan Network Discussion Thread

This was addressed in another thread, and this poster mentions something I didn't realize (emphasis added in bold is mine): ESPN contract

I think DCI will broadcast Finals when it's feasible in terms of money and when they can figure out the avenue they wish to take. The web is certainly a possibility, and there are others, but this particular year was not possible.

DCI entered into a 3-year contract with ESPN 2 years ago. They paid in the neighborhood of $250,000 for the right to have their production broadcast on ESPN 2 a few times after finals. But after two years of that I think they felt the number of viewers and the type of package they had to create for ESPN was not quite worth the money or the effort. They have chosen to bring more of a web presence to you, the fans, and I believe they have done a great job. The Fan Network has been wonderful for the most part. Some bugs to work out, but it is far better than anything we have ever had.

However, in doing so, DCI decided not to do the ESPN broadcast this year, but due to the contract, which was 3 years, they are not allowed to show DCI FInals on any other Network or web service. They can show Quarters and Semis, as they did, but not Finals. Since the ESPN contract is still alive until after this summer, ESPN still owns the rights to a Finals broadcast. So if DCI did show Finals, ESPN gets to show it, and DCI has to fork over 250K.

Next summer may be different, and DCI may look into some sort of Finals air time. But I am just guessing. A lot can happen, so let's see where this goes.

So it may be that next year, they will carry finals on the Fan Network. It can't hurt to contact DCI and let them know that you'd like to see that, and also point out that you understand why they couldn't do it this year.

If, as others have suggested, DCI is worried that live online streaming of finals will take away from DVD and/or ticket sales, then -- and this is not an original thought; somebody else suggested it in the finals thread -- maybe DCI could give a password to anyone who pre-orders the finals DVD, enabling those folks to watch finals live. It's a win-win for us and DCI.

Edited by byline

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, they'll ('07 Finals) be available next month.

toooooo loooonnnggg.

I don't get the concern about protecting DVD revenue?

I'm still going to buy the DVD's when they come out (multi angles, judges tapes, extras) they're just too good not to have. Plus who wants to watch drum corps on computer screens all the time!!!!!!

But...being able to at least stream finals would have have been exceptional (I just can't take off and fly to Indianapolis for a weekend).

I'm hoping they consider this for next year.

Later,

Mike

I just wrote DCI this email....

"I know you have been getting tons of emails about this, but I was pretty disappointed with the Fan Network coverage of this past week. We got next to nothing for the most important week of the season. I was unable to attend the theater event, had to go out of town for semis, and was forced to watch all the servers around the drum corps community come crashing down after Phantom last night. It took quite a while before I read any account of what went down. In an age of connectivity, this was a total failure. There wasn't even a live Boo Blog! And without the PBS or ESPN broadcast, we're left out of the moment for literally months. That's unacceptable. Can we please at least get semis on the fan network as a replay... I mean, sure you guys *think* you're protecting your revenue, but that's probably not a reality. I hate to say this, but I got better coverage of last night from youtube, as illegal as that is. Just my $.02"

I suggest you do the same. :smile:

I don't have a horse in this race, so I don't have much to say. But I just wanted to appreciate a very well written complaint such as Aaron's. Any REASONABLE manager or director or decision-maker would look at that and say, "hmmm...he's got a point." Good job--and from a person that has taken the art of complaining to new levels in my own life, congrats!! :worthy:

ESPECIALLY appreciate what I call the "You Tube Zinger" at the end. Brilliant.

Actually, the '07 VPD's aren't availble yet.

Oops. you're right. A typo caused by a wishful 7 finger on the keyboard.

Anyway, the 2008 DVDs will be out in due time. This year they will be very collectible, at least to me. What a great season for DCI and all the participating corps.

Yep. The 2008 DVD will be a nice little Christmas present for me from me. :worthy:

From what I understand, they'll ('07 Finals) be available next month.

Cool, but I meant the 2008 finals =P

I guess I'll have to settle for less legitimate means of watching the shows until they're available by VPD

No worries. Thought you were responding to my '07 post.

I don't get the concern about protecting DVD revenue?

I'm still going to buy the DVD's when they come out (multi angles, judges tapes, extras) they're just too good not to have. Plus who wants to watch drum corps on computer screens all the time!!!!!!

Well, I'll be honest. When it was available as a telecast, I was a cheapskate and never bought a single DVD till the "Legacy Collection" came out. And even there, I've only gone up through the mid-'90s. So I'm probably DCI's worst fear as a consumer, LOL!

Edited by byline

Maybe DCI could make the finals videos available to Fan network subscribers for about a week following the show, and then take them down until next year. That seems only fair to those of us who subscribed all season, but who were not able to make it to BLUEmington.

I think a "low-fi teaser" online would only make us want the "hi-fi" DVD that much more...