The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

CymbalMom and Linda

They have new pictures posted on madisonscouts.org which have very good shots of the cymbals and guard practicing and performing at Columbus. Check it out.

All you other parents out there, you may see a picture or two of your son. Good shots whoever added them.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOTICE TO ALL MADISON SCOUT HOMERS !

Our young men have put in countless hours sence Nov. I for one think they have done a FANtastic job ! :tongue:

This being their final week lets not slow down our support for this years addition of the Madison Scouts ! Write them , call them , go by and see them and tell as many of them as you can just how Proud we are of them ! :smile::smile::smile: Please join in and help these guy's push hard this week so they can be all they can be !

REMEMBER, " YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE "

Bill Leslie - on a proud Madison Scout Mom's computer.

GO SCOUTS !!!

I called all the Scouts that I had phone #'s for last night. All Ya'll should do the same, even if you just leave a voicemail !

Bill

GO SCOUTS !!!

CymbalMom and Linda

They have new pictures posted on madisonscouts.org which have very good shots of the cymbals and guard practicing and performing at Columbus. Check it out.

All you other parents out there, you may see a picture or two of your son. Good shots whoever added them.

Thanks for the heads up, Dan! Don't think I would have seen those otherwise. Chris Komnick takes and posts these photos. (Thanks, Chris!)

While you're on the Madison Scouts website, click through on the updated numbers for the Join the Corps campaign. Looks like a lot of people are stepping up to the plate on this, but still more donations are needed. If you haven't done it yet, click here to join this important fund raising campaign!

If you look at the recaps, Kozma scored them .5-.6 lower on Visual Ensemble Comp than anyone else has in the last 5 shows. This is the same score he gave in this category at Wichita Falls. For the most part, the judges at Buffalo have only judged smaller shows (if any) so far, which would explain some of the variations in scoring. If Kozma's score was equalized with recent history, Madison would be ahead of Xmen at the moment.

Glassmen was the only other corps at both of Kozma's shows, and their scores of 8.5-8.6 by Kozma were consistent with their Allentown score of 8.6.

Could the effectiveness of Madison's show have changed that much for the worse since Wichita Falls? I don't think so... It's just one guy's opinion on a given night, so we'll have to wait for some sense of reality (hopefully) once quarterfinals start.

Today the judges for Qs, Semis, and Finals are decided on. The only prerequisite DCI has is that the judge has to have seen the all World Class corps at least twice before finals week.

Should be interesting seeing who the panels will be. I'm sure some of your personal favorites will be among them, Linda.

Today the judges for Qs, Semis, and Finals are decided on. The only prerequisite DCI has is that the judge has to have seen the all World Class corps at least twice before finals week.

Should be interesting seeing who the panels will be. I'm sure some of your personal favorites will be among them, Linda.

My guess is that this requirement will shorten the list quite a bit. Those who have judged only 2-3 of the more local (smaller) shows could not have seen judged all 20 corps at least twice. That takes out my "fave" (NOT!) Kozma.

It seems that the "blips" where the scores for one show are way out of line with recent performances (not just for Madison) are generally created by judges who haven't been on the field much this year, and that's been at smaller shows. Since these guys are basically auditioning for the bigger shows, it could be that they're a bit overzealous... kinda like a rookie IRS auditor who is bound and determined to get you to pay some money, no matter how accurate your tax return is. (Reminds me of the story where someone's dog actually DID poop on the paperwork, and they sent it in to prove it!)

Of the Allentown judges, the ones who also judged San Antonio would automatically be qualified under this provision (Ronald Comfort, Albert Lo, John Bell, Jim Sturgeon, Debbie Torchia, Jeff Prosperie, Steve Ulicny). Dave Carbone did Atlanta and San Antonio, so he's qualified as well. I didn't look any further than this most obvious matchup (the shows that had all 20 corps), so don't flame me if I missed anyone. I have no issues with Torchia judging guard... she actually seems to be one of the more consistent of the bunch, and she's completed much more than the 2-show requirement.

Tom, what do you know about the judging? Are the same judges used for all 20 corps? Do the same judges that judge quarterfinals also judge the semis and finals?

Just curious.

Of the Allentown judges, the ones who also judged San Antonio would automatically be qualified under this provision (Ronald Comfort, Albert Lo, John Bell, Jim Sturgeon, Debbie Torchia, Jeff Prosperie, Steve Ulicny). Dave Carbone did Atlanta and San Antonio, so he's qualified as well. I didn't look any further than this most obvious matchup (the shows that had all 20 corps), so don't flame me if I missed anyone.

My prayer is that Prosperie is nowhere near Bloomington for the next two weeks!! His scores were so far out in left field that I hope that he is not even in the State of Indiana. I can live with all the other percussion judges, but that guy missed his boat!!

My prayer is that Prosperie is nowhere near Bloomington for the next two weeks!! His scores were so far out in left field that I hope that he is not even in the State of Indiana. I can live with all the other percussion judges, but that guy missed his boat!!

That was the first thing I thought of too when judges were mentioned for finals week.

Here's hoping the rain stays away from Toledo today and tonight.

GO SCOUTS!! Keep up the hard work guys!!

CymbalMom and Linda

Thanks for the tip, Dan! The whole set of photos is fabulous and there are some terrific shots of my son - yeah, he's the tall thin one centered in a couple of the rehearsal shots.

I hope to meet some of you during finals week!

Go Scouts!!!

Cymbalmom (aka Beth De Stasio)