Announcer Slip-Ups

in 1986 we had our memorial weekend camp somewhere in eastern PA and at the end of the weekend we did a performance for the town. They had an announcer and everything as we were leaving the field after our performance he announced us as "The Big Blue Band from Hall of Fame Land"

My guess is that you were somewhere near Lower Dauphin High School (between Harrisburg and Hershey in PA), because their marching band is known as "The Big Blue Band from Falcon Land" since their school mascot is a Falcon.

I was announced as Blues Knights, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, and the Glassmen at different shows over the years. I guess I understood the blue_____ confusion if the announcer were not a drum corps fan. I guess if I didn't know better and saw a "band" in a blue coat, I might guess they were the Bluecoats..

My favorite were the announcers that managed to say Jacksonville 12 times in 12 seconds.

"From Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, Alabama, Spirit from Jacksonville State University"

So, where are we from? I'm not sure... :-)

At the Drums Across the Pacific, 2008:

Announcer: "Performing their 2008 program, "DRUMS ALONG THE PACIFIC!" Drum Corps International is proud to present..."

He did it for every corps there, I'm really suprised that he didn't notice each corps had the same show...

And in Atlanta, 2008:

The Crossmen were on the field, and Brendt Crocker was announcing.

Crocker: "Please welcome to the field........THE GLASSMEN!!!!!!!!!!............."

Crowd: :thumbup:

Crocker: ...........THE CROSSMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And SemiFinals 08:

Crocker: "Performing their 2008 program, Constantly Risking Asurbidy, Drum Corps International is proud to present, The Blue Devils!"

If you listen to him on finals night, he really made sure he pronounced that one right.

:thumbup:

A semi-related story:

Several years back I was the PA guy for the USSBA band championships, at Philly's Franklin Field. Something like 81 bands over two days.... a long haul for me.

So..... Saturday morning, the first band of the weekend comes onto the field.... and I announce them as being a different band from a different town. The FIRST BAND!!!!!! What a way to start a long weekend..... yikes!!

Fortunately, I was able to correct the mistake before the band got started. And thankfully, that was the only band announcement I screwed up for the weekend.

Fran

Not an announcer slip-up, but since so many announcers seem to confuse which corps is on...

In 1996, Glassmen were in Steator, IL, for the Dick Tracy Days parade and competition. Our housing site was close to the check-in and step-off point of the parade, so we warmed up at housing, got into full uniform, and headed over to check-in. We get to the parade and the parade coordinator, after taking a good look at our uniforms, which HAD A GIANT BLOCK G ON THEM, looks at our drum major and says, "Phantom Regiment?"

On the 1975 DCI finals on PBS, Tim Moxley, brother to Blue Devils Mike Moxley, announced the Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders as the E-TO-BI-COKE OAKLAND CRUSADERS. The "K" is silent and should have sounded like "ETOBICOE".

We all had a good laugh over that. :thumbup::thumbup:

Don't the guest announcers go over the pronounciation of the corps names before they go on the air ? :thumbup::thumbup:

Brandt Crocker at the Georgia dome!

the crossmen came on...

"Drum Corps International is proud to present... THE GLASSMEN!

THE CROSSMEN!"

Oh my god, thankyou for pointing that out. Just watched it, that's funny.

I don't think that that was his day. For the Glassmen's show he said "drum corps intermati-national is proud to present..."

Then, this wasn't unusual, but he said for the Blue Devils "Constantly Risking AbsurBity".

Edited by Noname