Announcer Slip-Ups

Chuck/Gary/Evan - you guys could back me up on this one.

At a show somewhere in 2000 or 2001, the announcer gave many of the staff members of the Crossmen "french" sounding last names for some reason, even after speaking a totally different way the rest of the announcement:

Al Chez (all shay)

Mickey Chez (mickey shay)

Evan Rogovin (Evan......rogoveeeeeen)

Dean Musson (Dean Moo-sawn)

Chuck Naffier (Chuck Naw-feee-ayyyy)

Gary Cuzzocrea (Gary....nnnncruzzocrea)

Wow was it funny.

Not DCI, but in Kingston, NY, the announcer for the DCA show there always tries to "correct" the pronounciation of the Hawthorne Caballeros. Their name is the "Caba-LEROS" (say the LL's), but he insists that they are the "Caba-YEROS" (which would be correct only if we lived south of the Rio Grande River.)

Hearing the announcers mangle the names is great sport. "Guadnigno" was always a good one.

On a swing through Minnesota in 1988, I, as the QCK drum major, was introduced at one of the shows as "Drum Major...TBA."

So I gave the audience a "just a sec" sign, went to the table, and gave him my name.

Problem solved.

I can't count how many times the Knights were described as being from "Genesee" instead of Geneseo.

Late 80's or early 90's in Wichita Falls, the announcer had decided he was going to annouce the final scores and go ahead and forgot/choose to not read that pesky little decimal in the scores. So, the Cadets scored 912 or somesuch that night... :)

In 2001, we had a thing where we tried to time the first note of the show to hit JUST as the announcer finishes the "You may take the field in competition!" line. For the most part, it worked really well.

Except once. In Charlotte, NC we had Steve Rodinero announcing. He must like the Scouts, because he decided to ad lib the spiel. He inadvertently created the best moment of my marching career.

Steve: "Madison Scouts, you may take the field in competiton, and BLOW THE DOORS OFF-"

Madison Hornline: *Really freaking loud opening statement*

Crowd: :tongue:

Thank you, Steve Rodinero, for allowing us to cut you off mid-sentence and add 50 cool points to our show that night.

Almost the same thing happenned to us at 87 DCI prelims,after the company front in Ap Spring.

Also,while in the Bushwackers at the Holyoke St Pats Parade,we were annouced as the "Singing Budweisers"(I did mention it was a St Pats parade,right?) :tongue:

From a music teacher of Holyoke, thanks for the plug. BTW, I am on task - my 7th graders are surfing the BAC and DCI websites. I love middle school general music at the end of the year.

Back on topic - no announcer slip-up will ever beat "The Kansas City Star."

In 2001, we had a thing where we tried to time the first note of the show to hit JUST as the announcer finishes the "You may take the field in competition!" line. For the most part, it worked really well.

Except once. In Charlotte, NC we had Steve Rodinero announcing. He must like the Scouts, because he decided to ad lib the spiel. He inadvertently created the best moment of my marching career.

Steve: "Madison Scouts, you may take the field in competiton, and BLOW THE DOORS OFF-"

Madison Hornline: *Really freaking loud opening statement*

Crowd: :tongue:

Thank you, Steve Rodinero, for allowing us to cut you off mid-sentence and add 50 cool points to our show that night.

I have a recording of this on my computer at home. It's freakin nuts!!! I love it!

I have a recording of this on my computer at home. It's freakin nuts!!! I love it!

Same here. That has to be the best announcer intro ever.

In 1988, I was on staff and touring with Spirit on a swing through Florida. I had met up with some friends of mine...twin sisters, Cindy and Cheryl who were quite famous in our day as the "Florida Wave Twins". We were sitting in the stands before the show started. Fans were beginning to fill the seats. The announcer started announcing the corps line up and their repertoire for the evening. Of course, Spirit was playing Stravinsky's "Petroushka" that year. But instead of pronouncing the famed composer's name correctly, he pronounced it as Igor Strovanovsky. I died laughing at the blunder and commented about what kind of loser announcer did they hire for a drum corps show if they can't identify and pronounce "Stravinsky". Turns out, it was the twins' father.

Open mouth, insert foot.

Actually, for the last few years... it's not so much a slip up as it is the announcer probably not knowing just exactly WHEN the performing corps show has officially started. There sometimes is no acknowledgment from the DM's signifying thet thier "corps is ready to take the field in competition" (that's SO old school :tongue: - sarcasm) ... so the announcer is like... "So and So... you may take the field for competition" and the corps has been into their performance for a minute or so.

Did they ever decide how to "fix" this problem?

Actually, that's by design. Most corps will point or tell the announcer when to say "...you make take the field for competition" and experiment with the timing most of the summer. It helps set the mood prior to the actual show beginning. Cavaliers '06 and Blue Devils '07 are perfect examples. The playing before the announcer is considered the warm-up and the judges theoretically don't start judging until the announcement is made, but subconsciously you know all judges begin judging from the moment the corps starts walking onto the field.

Thats a tabulation error...not an announcer slip-up

Well for what it's worth the Cavaliers and Phantom did tie in brass...for second place with 19.5s, I believe. Probably not Brandt's fault, but it wasn't strictly a tabulation error, either.