Announcer Slip-Ups

I think I read on DCP somewhere (not sure if it's true) that an announcer read the following sometime last year...

"From Santa Clara California, performing their 2007 program!..."

instead of

"From Santa Clara California, performing their 2007 program !(Eureka)..."

Drums Along the Rockies was definatly "...their 2007 program, Exclamation Mark..."

Or are you asking if someone maybe just announced it with a little too much emphasis as an exclamatory sentance? (as in "...their 2007 PROGRAM!!!! WOO HOO!!!)

If a corps ever does the music of the Artist Formerly Known as Prince and titles it with the appropriate symbol, we are in for a whole new world of announcer slip up fun...

Edited by troon8

I think those things fall in the "don't shoot the messenger" category......LOL... they are not the announcer's fault. He/she is just reading the name they're given.

It happened to me at DCA Finals last year..... I announced the Buccaneers as having won the Color Guard trophy in Open Class.... a bit later a DCA official came over and said a mistake had been made in the tabulation, that the Bushwackers actually were the Color Guard champ. Stuff happens. I then announced the correction to the audience.

Fran

I want to say it was 2002! I remember that being hilarious. People were tired of the same "Prize Patrol!" and then right when they thought they figured Brandt out, he changed it! I love those sorts of things--audience/announcer interaction. Sort of.

There was a HUGE thread on this same subject in like...December or something if I remember correctly at all.

Some of you will remember the years of the infamous PRIZE PATROL. In order to generate excitement in the stands, the show announcer would call out seat numbers, the occupants of which were recipients of various DCI-related prizes and merchandise. During finals week in Madison (I can't remember the year) the crowd grew rather weary of hearing Brandt Crocker continually announce the aforementioned "Prize Patrol" and began to mockishly chime in with him whenever the call was issued. In response, Mr. Crocker began to come up with different/innovative ways of announcing the promotion, one of which was "booty call!" Methinks Brandt wasn't quite sure of the meaning of that phrase.

Along these same lines, in 1982, by the time the term "Macho" had been played out and had turned the corner to suddenly mean something different than what it did a few years earlier (as terminologies often do, ie "far out" "tubular" & "that's hot") ... the announcer at Whitewater DCI Midwest (I believe the same as mentioned in the above story) announced the Scouts as "The epitome of MACHO and cool" ... instantly evoking laughter and gaffs from the huge crowd.

We were still cool, though... IMHO... because the standing "O" we got lasted until we were through the gates and all the way off the field. LOL!

Don't remember where, but I think it was a regional in 97...

We're standing on the field, the guy reads the entire 20 second intro for the Blue Knights' ben hur show

"two thousand years ago," etc

The whole thing.

After about 30 seconds...

"Close your eyes for a moment. Pretend that never happened. ... ... Do you like jazz?"

Star of Indiana's first show in Normal IL 1985 we were announced as "Star of India"

LOL. I remember this quote like it was yesterday. Everyone around me were laughing their rear ends off. Thanks for beating me to the quote because I could not remember the year or show for the life of me.

Finals week of 1996 was a great one for mispronounced program names:

-SCV's La Mer was pronounced La Murr

-Colt's Magnificat (should be pronounced mag-ni-fi-cot) was pronounced mag-ni-fi-CAT (as in a magnificent kitten)

My roommate from college once told me that the small Div III corps he was teaching in Tennessee didn't actually have a "Visual Caption head" but one night as they were trooping the stands, the announcer announced that the visual caption head was "Emerson Bigguns" and the staff had slipped it into the spiel sheet for the show that night.

My roommate from college once told me that the small Div III corps he was teaching in Tennessee didn't actually have a "Visual Caption head" but one night as they were trooping the stands, the announcer announced that the visual caption head was "Emerson Bigguns" and the staff had slipped it into the spiel sheet for the show that night.

:doh::doh::smile: